Psychology

Discussion in 'General' started by Ibelurkin hehe, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Can anyone help me with this problem im having here?
    What is the theme for biological, cognitive, behaviorist, humanist, and psychodynamic? Please help asap.

2. Can you elaborate?

3. ex.
    Perspective #1 biological
    Theme. (central explanation for behavior and imagery)
    Conceptual development. (One specific line of inquiry with respect to anxiety,depression, or schizophrenia)
    Application. (Identify a specific psychotherapy and its key terminology)

4. Your question seems a bit ill formed. Theme? Is that something a professor made up or is it a bit of psychological jargon I'm unfamiliar with?

Most concepts in psychology, taken down to the philosophical level are centered around the concepts of reductionism and functionalism. Inputs and outputs, and explaining complex things in decreasingly complex terms.

So if I had to shoot in the dark about an ill formed question about themes in psychology, I'd say the most overarching themes in the entire discipline are reductionism and functionalism.

5. I believe so because I cant find anything similar to the question online, but i wrote some of the notes down like this
    Theme-dopamine hypothesis or diathesis stress
    Conceptual-phobias, classical conditioning

6. Hey, those are all psychology terms. Psychology is governed by philosophy. The two prevailing and persistent philosophical concepts that apply to psychology are reductionism and functionalism.

We reduce behavior to type mental states. We define those states in terms of functional roles.