Psychic Powers?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by g0pher, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Its like i've been thinking of this shit man, what do you guys think of the psychic and supernatural? what if there is a force unknown to science that emanates from the mind or something?
    " Harold Mcoy a proffesional psychic was asked to find a padlock and a key in a foreign city given only a street map and a photograph, he without leaving his home in Tynsil told the exact location and house where it could be found, he used a dowser and a seance to find the objects..."
    I've played with ouija boards and stuff before man and it can be quite scary sometimes! anyone has any ideas or had a similar experience?

2. well, this is what is considered as a "phenomena" by many. personally, i really believe its possible, and that some humans are gifted with this power. there are some who know that they have this ability, and are able to put it to use. on the other hand, there are those who may not be aware.

i guess it just comes down to whether or not you want to believe in something like this. whether its true or not, its most certainly very intersting.

3. No I don't believen it, not on this planet.

4. Case and point:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QlfMsZwr8rc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QlfMsZwr8rc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

5. stunning videos, zylark and rasta man. now, lets hear what you guys personally think about the psychic phenomena in your own words.

6. Oh, that is not difficult. In my own words, one word actually:

Bullshit.

7. lol. :) wasnt exactly the kind of elaboration i was hoping. when you have the time, id like to hear why you think its bullshit.

8. Oh, that is easy too.

No evidence.

9. simple as that, huh?

10. Yeah I believe in psychic powers,just another form of energy,Just like we don't fully understand quantum technology and wormholes were not evolved enough to grasp the thought of ESP.

I hope I'm the first to understand it,I know I sound like a nice guy BUT its always been my dream to dictate people's lives.

World Domination here I come.....;)

11. No, i cant realy believe in it...as said above, theres no real evidence for it.
    Theres no explanation, or theory of transmission/transport...

This is sorta like ppl thinking dreams can tell them stuff aout the future, so they think they have a momentary psychic power.

12. Hey man truth story

Me and some guys were playing with an ouija bourd, none of us believed the thing was true so the first few questions and answers we got we were just goofing around and blaming each other for it, we asked its name -it said mumbjar, we asked a few goofy questions about other shit and girls and who was still a virgin and masterbates, it was all cool but then we eventually asked it, "show yourself" and the fucking thing flew off the table man, true! if moved so strong that we all blamed the guy sitting on the opposite side where the thing flew off. we picked it up and asked again and we heard three bangs on the wall, we got so freaked out we left the thing sitting there!
    true man i'm tellin you!

13. times two.

14. I know how strange the board can seem, but seriously, it's nothing more than suggestion. People can subconsciously cause it to move and not even realise they're doing it. I've got a bit of involvement with the use of hypnosis and setting up tricks for stage use, like making a quija board 'work' in a seance-type situation. You can make particular people in a group respond and make it move, and guide their answers in a small way. Suggestion and a fear of what you're doing with the board working on any level at all can make would make some people very, very susceptible to giving answers without realising it.

MelT

15. Penn and Teller on talking to the dead:

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v260227Z5JjPDss

They also have an episode on more general psychic claims, like divining rods, esp etc. That is not so readily available online though.

16. Such as it is i can only offer a small tale of perceptions that could possibly be described as "extra-sensory", certainly not enough to claim a prize, but maybe interesting to some of you anyway.

I had a friend, a native american, who was a tremendously strong and incredibly talented person. The best guitar player I knew, we called him 'screaming eagle' he could make a sound like thunder in a canyon, and when he played, you would see paths of enlightenment that were nothing more than sonic hallucinations, but damn could he rock! That's not the story, though.

He was helping his family one summer day, on the Dineh (navajo) reservation, near Tuba City, AZ. The Woman next door was said to be a healer, a visionary who could tell the future, a medicine woman with powers that made her both the most sought after, and avoided person in the community. You never knew what she would tell you, and sometimes it wasn't what you'd want to hear! My friend did not know her at the time, he was living in the city, and had only come to the res to help his aunt take care of her place, since her husband died. He had been working in the front of her house for hours one day, when he looked up and the medicine woman from next door had come over to greet him, and not knowing yet who she was, he said Yah-ta-Hey, or Dineh for "Whassup?".

The woman circled him and cowered, she looked at him as if he were bleeding from the skull, and she asked him if he "could feel it, yet"? Perplexed, my friend asked what did she mean by that? And she gave him this seemingly omniscient and terrifying warning, saying, " There is a demon on your head, can you feel it yet?". My friend laughed it off as a crazy lady screwing around, and after a couple of days he headed back to the city.
    A week or so later, my friend had a violent seizure while waiting for a bus, the kind of blackout seizure where you have no memory, but all who see you will think you are acting conciously. My friend attempted to fight against all who came to help him, and the police beat him up badly and took the "drunk indian" to the jail wing of the Maricopa County Hospital to sober up and have his wounds attended. One of the precautionary measures they took was a CT scan of his head.

The scan showed a Brain Tumor, larger than a lemon, in his skull, which would be determined to be malignant. 4 years and 7 brainsurgeries later, my friend passed away, unable to get this "demon" off his head.

Sorry if thats not "science", but it is true.

17. sorry to hear that about you're friend man. what an interesting story though, i must say. thanks for sharing.

18. It's beyond simple.

19. Well thats $10,000 he doesn't have haha. Sylvia Browne has always kinda creeped me out:

[​IMG]