Psychedelic Study #3 preview

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by Palmer Eldritch, Jan 11, 2009.

1. #1 Palmer Eldritch, Jan 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2009
    its been awhile since I've done one of these drawings and they usually help when I'm having a block with my serious work (which I am) so here is a preview of my latest psychedelic meditation drawings that I just started.
    They're becoming a little more coherent, telling small stories instead of being all about curves and pattern. I don't know if that's a good thing for this type of drawing but it looks better to me. I've added a grid to pace myself and to keep lines straighter. Each of these preview squares are about 1.33" in dimension, the entire drawing is on an 8.5x11

I'm sure I'll post the finished drawing before long...

[​IMG]

and in case you were curious to see what the 1st and 2nd studies looked like, here they are. I've shown the 2nd one a few times but I usually don't show the 1st as you can tell I wasn't really comfortable in that style yet. I must have made that one 7 years ago and completed the 2nd one 3 years ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dude thats amazing.

3. What I would give for a fraction of that talent.

It's good to see some real artists in the graphic design era. :p

Keep up the good work, and I'd love to see some of your other stuff.
    :D

4. man that fucking blew my mind.
    like a bitch.

5. holy shit man.

my mate "indica" does some shit like this on psychs!

6. Damn this reminded me of some of the closed eye visuals that I have had on shrooms... this is amazing haha. I wish I could draw like that.

7. This is amazing dude, I would buy a print of it. +rep.

8. Oh, wow, that's amazing. o.o

9. Wow man i really really like that. I do some similar stuff whenever i'm having a block. You have really come a long way from #1 to your newest. Great work!

10. thanks everyone. I should have an update to show tonight.
    If anyone wants to see my other work, just click my signature. it'll take you to my deviantart page, which is updated more often than my real site.

11. Man it's always nice to see someone who is so talented. I really like your work man. Check out my art if you get the chance. Peace

12. yea greengoblin, your work is great too. I posted in that thread.
    Just get that portfolio together so you can show some more!

13. I appreciate it man, will do. Peace. :smoke:

14. Fantastic work.

Give it some color though, what would psychedelics be without colors ? :D

15. I think B&W leave more to the imagination. If the pictures were to be in color, I think it would be a little too loud for my taste. I believe it would utterly ruin the piece's integrity.

I like it. I know a guy who does similar drawings, and I have much respect for surrealistic/psychodelic art. It's reminiscent of MC Escher, who I respect very much. I think it would do you some good to look into his works.

16. #17 Poisongage, Jan 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2009
    I think that colors are a must in psychedelic art. For me, having it in black and white, makes the piece anti-psychedelic in a way. But this is because of the way i perceive art in general, and psychedelics too.

As far as the integrity of picture goes, is completely the opposite with me. No color, no integrity, especially in psychedelics. Of course black and white drawings/paintings can be beautiful and brilliant, but i must say that the artwork that is presented here, would be much better with color (especially because of the possibilities of color ranges and combinations).

And MC Escher was a brilliant man, i love many of his works, so i get your point, and i agree that some works are better or more striking without color. Escher's reflection techniques and his spheres are incredible. My favorite Escher painting has to be Tekenen (Drawing Hands). It's sick :smoke:

17. In my opinion, psychodelic art is supposed to capture the essence of one's trip, relation with psychodelic drugs or some psychosematic state of mind. It was explained to everyone from the artist that the drawing's purpose was to tell a story. I believe that an overload of color, as seen in most psychodelic art (I most efficiently recall Jimi Hendrix posters and such the like), would distract the viewer from studying and interpreting the story portrayed by the artist. This is what I meant in stating that it would utterly destroy the integrity of the piece. I respect your artistic view entirely. I simply look at it from another angle.

As Andy Warhol would say, "Art is anything you can get away with." And, it seems the piece/pieces in question work for many in both ways, thus making it a successful piece in either direction of the visual spectrum. In either B&W or intensely contrasted, psychodelic color I believe it would still be successful. To each his own, I suppose.

And, MC Escher is definitely one of the greats as you insinuated. His piece with all of the stairs leading to every direction is probably what I would choose as one of my all-time favourites.

18. This is some pretty amazing stuff. I have made some psychedelic style work also. It takes a lot of time and patience. You are very fine detailed. What kind of pens are you using? The gel inks, fine ball points are good to use. The grids are genius to start with in pencil to get the design formatted if your doing everything by hand. Awesome work! They should be on shirts or something.

19. Totally made the bottom one my new comp background that is great