Psychadelics and Religion

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by JCrohn, Jul 15, 2009.

1. #1 JCrohn, Jul 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2009
    I have been doing quite a bit of research on psychadelic drugs (DMT, Psilocybin, LSD, etc)

What were your views on religion like before and after you experienced a psychadelic? Did it change tremendously? How do you view religion now(in your best words)? Also, what was the psychadelic that changed your view on religion?

While i don't ever have any amibitions of ever taking a psychadelic anytime soon (medical reasons), what was your experience like?

In this thread... a "belief" in religion can be "no belief" in any particular religion.

2. Wasn't religious before, am not religious after. I just have a fun-ass time on psychedelics..

3. HUGE change in belief - changed views on religion (i.e. left a church)

4. Can you try to elaborate for me? What psychadelic(s) did you take? Why is your view on religion changed?

5. I like this post...I'm kinda interested on what medical condition wouldn't let you do psychadelics, cuz I'm a worry wort, but if it's personal I understand.

I stopped believing in religion at the beginning of high school but I feel there's still a power that looks out for you.

I've only done mushrooms but from those I realised that psycobilin(its what makes you trip in shrooms lol:p) is the plants defense mechanism and it's only real way to keep the species going. So when I'm tripping I'm always thinking of how everyones mindset is the same "better yourself for your own survival". So like the harder you try the more likely your will reach your success.

Other than that mushrooms have never made me trip but feel good and are VERY mind opening. I think you HAVE to have a mission while tripping or your mind will get stuck on things and start breaking them down to the point you feel your going insane... For some reason I feel like I know everything and the meaning and point of everything when I'm tripping.They're weird but quite enjoyable and from what I know they're completely safe(excluding the poisionous ones and ones with molds, usually only gotten when patty tossin) and undetectable in UAs ;)

6. I have crohn's disease and about 9 gastric ulcers at the moment...i just cant risk a bad reaction in my stomach - thats why im deterred from psychadelics at the time.

7. Damn no fun... what would you describe the pain from the uclers to be like? I've drinken alot of acidic drinks and have bad heartburn alot of the time and troubles/pains swallowing foods.

8. Its kind of like a burning pain whenever you eat food.

9. Last option.

I grew up in a deeply religious Jewish household, and as such was a pretty devout Jew before I began using psychedelics. The result has been a 7 year (and counting) journey to figuring out who I am, and who God is. My belief system was turned upside down and inside out and shattered into a billion pieces, and I'm still working on collecting it and putting it back together.

10. I really don't get what people mean by a life changing experience, i always thought you just hallucinated. Am i missing something here?

11. Psychedelics will generally enhance your spiritual worldview, whatever it may be. Those who don't believe in god will probably not have a profound religious experience because they're not expecting one and wouldn't believe the effects of the drug on their consciousness came from a higher power.

But Timothy Leary's experiments in the 1960s, which early on were focused on the Harvard Divinity School, found that the most religious people (rabbis, priests, etc), were the most likely to report having a profound religious realization or epiphany after a psychedelic experience.

12. There have been many other experiments with psychedelics along the same lines as the Good Friday experiment you mention above. The most recent came out of Johns Hopkins Univ. by Dr. Rolland Griffiths (if I remember correctly) and concluded that psilocybin is an absolutely reliable tool for facilitating religious/mystical experience. But again, like the Good Friday experiment, only self-proclaimed spiritual or religious people were accepted into the study. They did not, however, have any previous entheogen experience whatsoever, and it wasn't limited to Christians. Recorded experiences from the study subjects do indeed show that most of these mystical experiences that people have with entheogens are formed by much of their current spiritual beliefs and notions.

It'd be interesting to have a study done in the same fashion on atheists and agnostics. Because of fields like the anthropology and sociology of religion we have scales which have been constructed to measure whether or not a person has had a textbook mystical experience, or just a common psychedelic experience. I think it would be fascinating to see what their minds make manifest during a high-dose psychedelic experience.

13. #13 stoner_lukas, Jul 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2009
    You're missing a lot.

There is a whole lot more to psychedelics than just the "hallucinations" (which aren't hallucinations at all). Psychedelics have been reliably shown to put users into a mystical-like state at high doses, and in such a state of mind it is entirely possible to have your whole worldview crushed in an instant, leaving you to piece it back together once the trip is over. This isn't something that can usually just be shrugged off and forgotten, it is entirely a life changing experience when it happens to you.

We are just now beginning to study why psychedelics do this to people. This is the reason psilocybin had been, and is currently being used in terminally-ill cancer patients -- at high enough doses they are often greeted with absolute peace of mind and acceptance of their imminent death, whether through an intense ego-shattering experience or a blissful vision of the next life.

They're powerful mind-manifesting tools. There is a great deal of potential to treat and eradicate all that is wrong with human interaction through psychedelics. Just their potential to cure mental-health disorders is staggering. There's a reason all of these things have been used for millenia as medicine, and there's a very real reason they aren't being used as medicine now.

Greed.

Just another one of those human flaws that can be fixed with psychedelics.

14. I'm on the same path as lukas