Psychadelic rock music

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Mul_let, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Hey blades, ive recently taken a liking to psychedelic rock music, only band i know of this genre is Tame Impala. Just wondering if you guys had any good psychadelic rock music that you could share?

Smoke 2 joints then i smoke 2 more.

2. Start with San Francisco 60s scene (like Jefferson Airplane) or Beatles.

3. Pink Floyd

Every album

4. how are beatles psych rock

their music nor lyrics invoke any kind of psychedelic state and they are a POP group

classic rock is a genre based on time and will change. how long can what is called' classic rock' today remain classic as new rock keeps coming out

bands like led zeppelin need to be recategorized as psychedelic rock because their music is rock and their music and videos and lyrics invoke some of the most psychedelic feelings

5. pink f is very psychedelic rock but its a rather dark tone anyone know anything more positive

6. The psychedelic furs

7. They get a little psychadelic listen to Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds and i am the walrus

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    Led Zeppelin was never psychedelic.
    And Pink Floyd was only psychedelic up until Dark Side... then they got all commercial and lame.

OP, the two big prog/psych bands are Yes and King Crimson.
    The original psychedelic band is The 13th Floor Elevators.
    For the heavier acid rock style, Cream and Iron Butterfly are good places to start.

Strawberry Alarm Clock, Vanilla Fudge, Suck (from South Africa) are also good to start with.
    For modern bands check out Man or Astro-man, Spock's Beard, and Ozric Tentacles.

There's tons of great psychedelic music out there; but beware of self-indulgent, cheap imitations (*cough*Phish*cough*).

9. #9 *guest, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
    You should try some Brian Jonestown Massacre, anything from 2003 and older. Not all of it is psychedelic but all of their older stuff is fantastic, not a big fan of any of their post 2003 albums personally. 

"Their Satanic Majesties Second Request" is probably a good starting point

10. #10 jackhos, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    s

11. If you know tame impala and like em, check out animal collective. My favorite modern band. Oh, and anything in the period between 1965 and like 1970, I still find stuff from the period. And I've been exploring it for years now.

12. #12 240sxLover, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2014
    Dude. I love Vanilla Fudge's first album. Who knew beatles covers could sound nothing like beatles songs???

I actually listened to it just today!

*no one was saved*

13. #13 240sxLover, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2014
     much further than that. Check out the entirety of any of their albums after Rubber Soul. Then listen to the rest of them because there's no such thing as a bad Beatles album lol.

Sorry for making three posts!

But seriously, if you can't see the psychedlia of the beatles and their lyrics, I can't help ya!

"Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream. It is not dying. It is not dying."
    Tibetan book of the dead, doesn't get much more other worldly.

14. Maybe check out Mogwai

15. psychedelia is not the same as lose your mind hallucinate or 'trip hard'

you may have a grip on old definitions but they are wrong.

cream is such softcore shit in what they dare to do and what they say the only time i would listen to them is before surgery to get anesthetized. not that i dislike cream i LOVE some of their music but i dont care what people 'call' stuff, if they cant realize that what is some of the most important music today still - classic rock - is being classified in a genre that it cannot hold the title of forever (because the title has nothing to do with the music but the era in which it was played) - their classification of music is just offhand and means nothing

despite how underworld YOU might feel the music you listen to is not yours and just because pink floyd was no longer dark and hipster doesnt mean its not thought, consciousness and imagery provoking far more than nonsense you are listing like cream

sounds like another case of someone who listens to too much music - lets the music define him - then tries to convince everyone of his own beliefs through his music preference - claiming cream is more psychedelic than zeppelin - when i guarantee you listening to stairway to heaven alone out camping at night with a fat blunt is the most inducing thing you can find.

you know whats also 'psychedelic'? Korn because they fuck my mind up and give me a headache. psychedelic is a 'bad ass word' with kids these days and if they want to live up to the title and the music they listen to they have to say zep and floyd arnt psychedelic and cream is. it is perhaps the most hipster thing you can do right now

16. psychedelic MUSIC has lyrics that are original and go somewhere - and it takes you through this original trip with music that lights up your senses and makes you forget the universe

beatles might not have a 'bad' album, every single song has a pop culture theme to it - even i am the walrus is more like commercial psychedelia in a lollipop your really thinking about life and going deep into astral thought and thinking listening to the beatles. they dont have the tunes for it nor the lyrics nor the SUBSTANCE - because popular as they were they were a bunch of punks there no way id ever care what these two bit kids think about life

pink f = his music is original, EXPLOSIVE, very engaging thought twisting involving mind bending lyrics, and the tunes and his absorption in his guitar and the sheer clang of it are what psychedelia is about - going further in your mind than you have before. not to mention if you compare the lyrics and imagery of comfortably numb or some of the real involving pieces with i am the walrus and you cant tell which of these is psychedelic music is not ur daddy

17. Zeppelin (No Quarter, In The Light, In My Time of Dying)
    Beatles (Tomorrow Never Knows, Strawberry Fields, For the Benefit of Mr. Kite)
    Pink Floyd (just about every song on every album)
    Spiritualized (Floating in Space)
    STS9 (every song)

lol, you're talking out of your ass and you're all over the board its ridiculous.

"sounds like another case of someone who listens to too much music - lets the music define him" really, cool guy? Fuck you.
    To me, you sound like just another case of someone who listens to too little music - probably has never created in his life, and reeks of fanboy-ism. You only call me a hipster because you haven't got a clue what I'm talking about.

I came here and actually contributed to the thread; I'm not here to elevate myself above anyone but since you're being such a presumptuous dick, I can tell by the way you write that you don't know shit about music. What you have to say is invalid.

19. Stop babbling shit.   The Beatles practically invented psychedelic rock have you even listened to Tomorrow Never Knows?   Saying I Am The Walrus doesn't have any psychedelic substance lol.  The song starts off with the lyrics "I am he, as you are he, as you are me and we are all together" that is the pyschedelic experience encapsulated perfectly in to one sentence.  I do agree that Zeppelin were psychedelic too though, probably the only sensible thing you've said.

20. Anyways O.P the best Psych Rock has come from these band in my opinion:

The Jimi Hendrix Experience  
    The Beatles
    Love  
    Jefferson Airplane  
    Yes
    Pink Floyd
    Animal Collective
    Hawkwind
    Caravan
    Cream
    Quicksilver Messenger Service