Pseudo-Intellectual Stoners

Discussion in 'General' started by Badfish90, Jul 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Okay, this may be a controversial opinion on these boards but I've started noticing that it's a recurring trend among many of my friends.

I'm starting to believe that weed can trick you into thinking that you're smart.

This is a little hard to explain but lemme try. I know tons of people who, when they smoke, think everything they do is genius. Everything they say should be treated as a gift. In reality, they're pretty stupid.

I don't mean to be condescending or acting superior to them. I don't believe that I'm better on any level. They're really good, nice and interesting people. It's just that they are nowhere near as smart as they think they are.

I get great grades in college and have made the Dean's List every year for the past three years. Even I know that grades don't mean anything when it comes to truly measuring your intelligence. But these people I hang out with, use that as an excuse to slack off and pretend that they're misunderstood geniuses.

It's really annoying.

I've even caught myself mistaking something silly for something profound when I was high. So, what do you all think? Is there something about weed that allows people to think they're smarter than they actually are?

2. I haven't noticed it but I can definitely see what you mean.

But hey if more people think they're smart then maybe they will act smart too so it's a win win kind of?

Good thread though man, and I dig the name. My favorite song of Bradley's and the gang.:cool:

3. Studies have shown that people linked with High IQ's tend to flirt with drugs or most likely to try mind-alternating substances such as Cannabis which could pave the way in seeing the light, but I think I can see why they would. As we were young, remember when used to ask question with "Why"? Because it's was our curiosity thought in trying to find answers to solve our questions, sometimes we will keep asking if it didn't make sense, we will challenge their opinions to see why they think that way.

Quick Witted or formerly known as being an "smart alec" or the cousin term "smart ass" but how is it being an smart ass when your cerebral cortex is as active as an thunderstorm in mild degree weather, it's the sense of using the combination of logistical mixed with critical thinking in responding to predictable questions with complex answers.

But were talking about natural "gifted" intellectuals, not the "so called" ones they call scholar so it's an mere difference besides the real intellectuals are actually humble into their ability to learn and expand their mental capacity of advance topics that an average man doesn't care to grasp too and arrogance isn't an sign but an barrier.

I'll consider myself an intellectual but it's because I find the thirst of acquiring knowledge exhilarating rather than to show off to make an impression.

4. It's become a trend over the past few years.

Perfect example of someone OP is talking about- Joe Rogan.

5. weed will make you "zone out" and get abstract thoughts. that's what it does.
    usually these thoughts are inconsequential but sometimes you can come up with something interesting. weed won't make you straight up get stupid thoughts, you can come up with meaningful shit too.

however when people are not self aware, as arrogant / thick people tend to be, they will falsely attribute intelligence to their rather pointless thoughts. it's just a lower level of intelligence that makes the difference.

6. yeah, haha, I always see people saying they use weed to help them study and shit

like wtf? I mean weed can open up your mind and let you design like entire movies in your head, but it doesn't help you with *real* shit at all

7. I think that's just people in general. I don't think weed has anything to do with it.

8. There's no doubt that weed can enhance your mental process or alter it to make it more interesting. But, I think you need some prior experience or knowledge of a particular subject to contribute anything worthwhile.

You gave movies as an example. Lots of creative people smoke but it's not the weed that makes them creative. They already have that ability in them. They just use weed to help bring it out.

I don't think weed necessarily makes people believe they're smarter than they actually are. But I do believe it contributes to it.

One of the benefits of weed is that it brings out lots of things you don't even know about yourself. It can surface your subconscious or shine a light on any insecurities or issues you need to deal with. When this happens, I think many people confuse it with them being smart.

They aren't smart, they just don't think about this kind of stuff all the time. And why should they? Thinking about all this stuff could make you go insane. That's why many actual geniuses are eccentric or neurotic.

So, I think weed indirectly causes this issue.

9. I dunno that it makes me feel smart but I'm definitely a stoned philosipher. It just makes me think about things really deeply.

10. It does seem to make otherwise rational people believe in tripe like the ancient alien theory and shit, as judging by a few sections on this site :p

"Dude...it just like...makes so much sense"

11. It's really annoying, cool. But why should you even care how people think? If people want to have delusions of granduer, like you did in your own post, let them.

I certainly didn't give ya shit about it

12. Man, i'm starting to laugh at all of the narrowmindedness on this site.

You guys agreeing with the OP aren't stupid, but you're just airheads.

Life is vibrations. Easy as that. If somebody wants to believe something, then let them. You don't need to butt in and ruin the vibe. You have your own opinions and they have theirs...you know it's just as rediculous making fun of people for something they're interested in than the belief itself?

you seem like a poor judge, so what did we (total strangers online) do to earn your judgement?

13. Oh Jesus Christ lighten up

14. #14 zeroshawdow, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2012
    All depends on the Eye of the Beholder.

I know tons, tons of people and think they are smart just because ... and they don't even get close to smoke marijuana. However most of them drink and when they are out side act like they are the center of attention. I'm finishing my Master Degree and I'm a hardcore marijuana user-activist. I think of my self as a smart person and fell that way with or without marijuana. But I do not use Marijuana while I'm in a super important Class. The type of class that you need to focus and give 100% !

But let's define smart ? What do you consider smart person ?

Just remember this: "marijuana is most use substance in the world and it goes straight from Ghetto to all the way to Fortune 500 CEO's"

15. Gonna have to disagree.

I am a math major, studying math when I'm high is like the worst thing in the world to me. At the same time, trying to do it while sober can actually be somewhat interesting.

For the movie thing it's the exact opposite. If I'm just sitting down and staring at a wall, the thought of just creating a movie from scratch seems cumbersome and almost boring. But when I'm high I can easily dive into every aspect of it, every fictitious outfit or personality, every twist to the plot and every fight scene etc.

It definitely helps you dive into your creative side and explore your own thoughts, but it does nothing in the way of actually enhancing your logic process.

16. I'm just perplexed that you're saying nonsensical shit when given an option to give forth an anonymous opinion

17. I'm just perplexed that you take the Internet so seriously that you feel the need to rebuke the lighthearted jab of a fellow toker.

What the hell else does :p mean on the Internet if not "I'm just playing?"

18. I think its good.
    Because they are striving to be the philosophical stoner rather than the lazy stupid stoner.
    It's a good thing.
    If used in the right mindset, weed can make anyone have an Epiphany .

19. I don't want to argue like a kid with you :p so you're negating your entire post? I'm not a great detector of sarcasm when it comes to black and white text.

Im sure you meant a little bit of what you said, and I got pissed because thats like mental segregation and I can already picture you as a narrow minded person

You don't need to put down others for their beliefs

...bro

20. [quote name='"junkheadrev"']i think its good.
    Because they are striving to be the philosophical stoner rather than the lazy stupid stoner.
    It's a good thing.
    If used in the right mindset, weed can make anyone have an epiphany .[/quote]

amen !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.