Pruning

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by widowmaker1969, May 4, 2013.

1. What's the rules on pruning ? I'm on 5th week of 12/12 and was considering removing some leafs to let light at my bids ! Any advise would be good :)

2. I personally do not like to prune much in flower because it will slow growth for a day or two but if you really need it then its ok. Try tying the branches so they spread out more to let light to the inside first.

3. I ain't got any room to tie them down !

4. the leaves are the engine for growth. I am 100% against taking off healthy leaves. If they were not needed for optimal growth they would not be there.

5. That's interesting, that explains why my widows slowed down. They were just growing like crazy, then pruned all the fan leaves, and its like they just stopped everything for a couple of days.

6. #6 lazaidus, May 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2013
    Hey I defoliate all throughout my grow and i have very impressive yields http://forum.grasscity.com/hydroponic-grow-journals/1134365-supercloset-vs-noob.html thats my last grow start to finish and the pics included are of my current grow with multiple strains, they are now 29 days into flower. i have not had any type of lack of quality and as i said before, pretty good yields. the proof is in the pics.

Depending on size of plants it shouldnt make a difference. if you prune them all at once you will most likely stunt growth but trimming here and there shouldnt make a difference and you also have to factor in if you prune throughout the plants life. if you start pruning early and throughout the plants life it will be used to it and wont be effected that much but if you just prune it when its older it ill give it a shock so thats a big thing. another is your grow method, soil sees alot of slower growth and hydro is faster so you tend not to see growth slow down too much with hydro as opposed to soil.

Attached Files:

• 022.jpg
      022.jpg
      File size:
      66.4 KB
      Views:
    • 060.jpg
      060.jpg
      File size:
      67.8 KB
      Views:
  7. I've pruned all big fan leafs off and they seem to be doing ok :)

8. Man if theres ONE leaf blocking a branch, please remove that thing lol. One leaf photosynthesis compared to a top cola getting direct light in laughable. The whole plant is green, it all is sucking in light.

9. Amen my grow brotha!!!:metal:

10. Yeah, you're two pics are perfect examples. People who don't do that are really shorting themselves, worrying about a few fan leaves stunting growth, sigh : (

11. What about all the smaller fan leafs ? I've removed the large ones but have loads of smaller ones all over the bud branches !

12. Leave the small ones

Sent from iPhone 5

13. Yeah think I will mate
    Cheers

14. IMO I try to leave fan leaves on at all times only cutting them if they are sick wile the rest of the plant thrives. I use bamboo sticks/poles to make a from around my pots to tie branches too, it will supply light to lower nodes and inner as well, this is also a form of LST and will strengthen the stems, thus allowing more support for larger fruit(in this case marijuana).. I use this technique with my fruit and vegetable garden as well

15. so hows about you show us some pics and we compare? lets see which is the better yielder.......:D

16. When the summers over I'll be very happy to, but there are many confounding variables in said equations lol I have a grow journal if anyone is interested

17. cool beans. whats the link? im always up for new knowledge :D

18. #19 Darth Clitflex, Aug 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2013
    OK I'm in ... I have an exacto knife and I'm in the mood to be naughty

what is the best time to prune? - beginning/end of light cycle? ... before or after watering/feeding? ... prune new leaf sets that are in the way, or only the big older ones? ... take off leaves, or whole branches?

I feel like I need to prune bottoms during veg - the verge from this plant is monstrous and I need to get it under control before I flip the lights

thanks in advance