Pruning

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by L0StB0Y, Nov 7, 2012.

1. hey guys. so im on ~ week 7 of flowering, trying to decide if i should prune all these leaves off to expose the bud sites better.. these bitches are bushy!!6 og louie thanks again for your experience!

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. I wouldn't prune unless there were issues with airflow and/or mildew/mold. It looks to me like you might want to back off the Nitrogen amounts, but I could be mistaken. If everything there fills out fully, that will be a most impressive harvest. Good luck!

3. Why would you want to do this? The leaves are what is providing the food for growth to the flowers, not the flowers, budsites don't need more light the leaves are what need the light.

PW

4. #5 L0StB0Y, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2012
    Thanks for the responses. Not sure why I thought it would be a good idea. Just figured I would open the plant for more light to penetrate into the bud sites. They are Hella full at about week seven. Going to let them go as long as they need. Currently using these nutes and phos tek [​IMG]

5. [quote name='"L0StB0Y"']Thanks for the responses. Not sure why I thought it would be a good idea. Just figured I would open the plant for more light to penetrate into the bud sites. They are Hella full at about week seven. Going to let them go as long as they need. Currently using these nutes and phos tek [/quote]

Yes many people do this. It is called defoliation and it is 1 of the most controversial topics on this forum. At this point, I would only do it if you were trying to expose the shaded growth below the top of the canopy. What you could do instead is harvest the top buds first and allow the bottom growth to continue developing for another week or 2.

6. I would leaf that pretty good myself. Do an experiment, if your very bottom bud is not as solid as your crown nug, then you know you would have benefitted from leafing. Budsites are made of calyx AND leaves, you are correct in thinking you want direct light on as many bidsites as possible. If you have ANY popcorn, larf, etc then you have too many leaves on your plant most likely. To each their own, bid defoliation has been proven to increase yeild when done properly.

7. Okay. My only hesitation is that many of the leaves are covered in trichs? I just ripped off the ends of a few on the back right one last night... I'd like to think the buds are going to fill in more and bury parts of the leaves eventually. I will have a few fluffers down low on the away side from the light.

8. #9 TokeRippa, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2012
    [quote name='"L0StB0Y"']Okay. My only hesitation is that many of the leaves are covered in trichs? I just ripped off the ends of a few on the back right one last night... I'd like to think the buds are going to fill in more and bury parts of the leaves eventually. I will have a few fluffers down low on the away side from the light.[/quote]

As others have said already, you really don't need to do this. I would only remove the fan leaves not the THC coated bud leaves. Even folks that choose to defoliate only do so with the fan leaves that are blocking light from lower growth.

You will want to check out the plant training forum here at grasscity. There you will find enough information to get you started on experimenting properly

9. Even my sunleaves have trichs all over them by end, but away they go. I personally would cut away any branches that are not keeping up with the others if you cannot get them into direct light. From my experience working with a lot of strains over the years I would call this a plant that 'gets in its own way'. Every strain is different and response to defoliation differently. This dairy queen I am working with stays out of its own way very well, there are very few leaves on the plant and rarely needs any defol. The plants pictured do not have very long stems on the sun leaves, it would be one thing if they were out away from the buds catching light inbetween the plants, but they are all piling up on those budsites, I don't see many of the sites on that top half. I am working with a strain right now that is similar, the leaves stay close, and they also don't perk up very much, so they are constanrly just covering the budsites. I pluck them, three days later the buds are covered again. Don't rely on penetration, direct light is far better. I would personally suggest getting rid of some of the leaves in the middle.vertically on those and get those nodes some light.

10. Took a grip of leaves off tonight. Fingers are practically stuck together. Very excited to see this yeild about 10% hairs changed over so far. Another week till I start watching the tichs. Might post some pics if anyone is interested

11. heres a photo update for anyone interested.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Those plants were just plain sexy

13. you sir just made me giggle like a giddy school girl! thank you thank you thank you

one love

14. Looking at those plants I just want a single puff, to taste how they are. What strain was this? It looks like a nice one!

15. Looks like chubaka. Crazy how tightly layered those leaves are.

16. #18 GroBox, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2012
    You only want to remove fan leaves that are not directly connected to budsites. Nice grow you have going, those buds are young but already very large. But stay away from those leaves connected to budsites, you need those.0

Edit: Just read that, week 7 of flowering is fairly late, but those buds still look young from the hairs. What strain is that? Looks like an indica dominant strain but with such a long flowering period it resembles a sativa. Sounds like you've got a very nice strain in your hands.

17. chopped em down yesterday. out of the six heres two of the tops

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Jesus man what a plant. Good work