pruning during early flowering???

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by thunderfck, May 20, 2009.

1. hello all. im new here so bare with me please. i am a 250 hps indoor perpetual harvest total organic grower. (on and extremely small scale) i am just starting to flower after 5 weeks vegging under cfl. i have two plants flowering, one nycd and one og kush ( about 2 feet tall each). was wondering if pruning the lowest two tiers of branches off would increase my top flower size noticebly? if its not noticable then i would rather have the lower larf for my bubble hash bag. i usually dont take anything off the plant that i dont have to.( although i plan on comparing my style of two full plants under hps vs flowering one in my cfl cab in a scrog with comparable lumens and all that jazz some day) so basically, will my top buds get bigger if i prune the lower tiers? roughly the bottom 1/4 or so. 250 hps 2 foot flowering plant, will it penetrate? any tips or suggestions appreciated. pics coming soon. and im gonna start a journal soon. just picked up a new sony handy cam. supposedly the baddest one they got.

2. I actually came here with the same question. I have three plants that are about 30" tall now, about 3 wks into flowering, and I wanted to find out if I should prune the really small buds that just aren't making it...and are too deep for any kind of light penetration.

My setup is a 4' x 8 bulb T5 with 54w bulbs (6 are 3000K, 2 6500K). I didn't do any topping or LST'ing, as this is my first grow and I wanted to just let the plants do their thing and see what happens. But there are obviously some smaller buds deep down that just are not getting any light, and are not going to develop at all.

And my question was the same...should I prune them so that the 20 or so buds on the top will get more, and bloom larger.

Thanks!

3. i found that you can prune some small buds if you wanted to. not the leaves, just prick the buds. some remaining buds will get bigger, but it yielded basically the same as the one i left alone. 88gvs80andQWISO. i use the small popcorn buds and trim leaves for that QWISO. so if your not making hash with the lower tier popcorn buds then i would pluck a few of them. not too many just a couple early in flower.

4. Thanks for the info.

I was planning on doing the same thing...any immature buds at the end would just get tossed into making a little QWISO hash. But wasn't sure if snipping them now, 3 wks into flowering, would help the overall output of my larger buds. Sounds like it is 6 one way, half dozen the other...

...so I'll do what is probably best, and let the plant figure it out on its own, and let it be.

5. good call. im wondering how the T5 setup you have is working for flowering. and what strain your running if you dont mind. good luck with your girls.:wave:

6. #6 Dilandau, Jul 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2009
    Thanks. Here are some pics exactly 3 weeks into flowering...Since I have nothing to compare it to, and having seen other grows, seems a little small. But perhaps someone can tell me.

3 weeks.jpg

3 weeks - B.jpg

3 weeks - C.jpg

Right now it seems the buds aren't making much headway. The bloomed pretty hard for a week or two, and have kinda slowed down. I'm hoping for some serious growth spurts, as they seem to have stalled in their getting any bigger.

And I have no idea what strain they are. Each is different. One, I think, is Red Hair Skunk...cause it looks like a 50/50 mix and the hairs are turning a bright red color. The other two, no idea. Both look like they are mostly indica (both are only about 2' tall)...the Red Hair is about 3' tall. These pics are of the smallest one.

7. idk man your plant looks pretty sativa to me. maybe i'm wrong, you should check out my grow i am also close to 3 weeks flowering. mine is definitely sativa dominant and our plants show very similar qualities especially at the bud sites

8. yea she looks nice week 5 or 6 uwill be luvin her and week 9 or ten u it will be hard to not chop her down good luck wit your grow

9. Looks good for 3 weeks...I am at 24 days and I am a little lighter than you on the buds...I am growing 95% Sativa and 5% Indica Chocolope Strain from DNA Genetics...Check ou the grow on the outdoor journal if you wish...Good luck to you and your ladies.:smoking: