Pruning and topping

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by jackedinpdx, Oct 13, 2014.

1. So this is my 3rd crop and I might have actually figured out watering and nute needs, I think. Anyway I believe it is time to trim my plants. Growing indoors under 600 watt Mh bulbs. I have read and cannot figure out the correct method, visually impaired slightly. Help! I want good buds! Working hard and am open to any suggestions. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Do not cut anything off that little plant, let it grow.

3. Thank you, when should I start??

4. After the third nod (set of leaves) you can safely top it which you look like you have. I'd do it now if your going to, as for not really understanding how just push the top set places apart and cut the tip. There's some easy to understand guides on here but if you still have trouble just cut a 4th of a inch off the top and it'll be fine.

5. Hey, 

Pardon for the thread hijack, but if I may, can anyone offer advice for pruning. Do I just hack off the bottom stems? This is my first grow, and I'm 3 weeks into vegging, and there about 12-15" each. Can I still LST train them using the tape method, and also top them? I'm wanting to flower them between tomorrow and this weekend. Sorry for rush post, have time constraint atm, thanks 

6. This is my third grow and I tried LST and all sorts of other things. Based on my infantile experience it is better to focus learning just to keep the little things green and happy! Bending and tying for better yield stresses the plants and if they fuck up it is hard to tell if it was the LST or our inexperience.

7. jacked, you can top your plant whenever you want (except flowering or you may send it hermy). just wait until the third node comes through and cut your plant at the top node. it allows more tops to form.

also LST is best if you put holes on the sides of your pots and tie the branches of the plant to them. not too toght but tight enough so they stay there. this will allow the undergrowth to shoot up.

I would suggest you learn about scrogging, put up a scrog mesh about 22 inches above the soil level and keep tucking everything underneath. once you have a 1/3 of yoir sceen filled, flip your plants (take them to 12/12)

8. ganja, it depends on the space that you have, when you send them into flower. some people leave them til 12", some people 18". I like to leave my girls veggin until 22" then flip them. If I was you, I would not use tape but tie them down to the sides of the pot (like I said in my last post), top them NOW and then leave them a week or 2 weeks before you flip them to 12/12 (2 weeks will give you a better yield).

You cannot and I repeat, CANNOT top them in flower though or you will risk sending them hermaphrodite

Chopping it's head off stresses it even MORE...

Stick with LST.  You get the same redirection of meristematic growth hormone to the side branches without the "shock" that's associated with topping.  It takes longer, but increases yield.