PRs organic garden of weed and other living things

Discussion in 'Organic Grow Journals' started by Pink, Jan 20, 2014.

1. wow, with you on that Chef!! they say replace filters every 3 months, at 60 bucks per filter, would require 2 (800 CMF model) at 120 bucks, that's insane. i think i would rather buy a new filter that only needs replacing every 2-3 years at 200-300 hundred bucks, seems like a no brainer really. by their standard it would cost me 340 to start and then 480 per year to replace the 2 filters, i'm unsure how they even sell these to anyone. perhaps i'm missing something???

The fear of the smell will get most people to part with the cash.

3. As stated. They're a common size filter. I think something like 12x12x1 or similar. I'd you look around you can find pleated replacements, similar to furnace filters, but charcoal. They're considerably cheaper, but need replacing more often.

I'm not saying go buy them, do what you will, just offering an option.

4. Hi PR. All caught up! And let me tell you, it wasn't an easy task!  Lol  Posts comin mile a minute.. ALL good info! Can't go wrong!   Look forward to the discussions! 

You didn't think I'd hide across the pond forever, did you? There's no way I could turn my back on a garden as good as yours! But you may have to remind me exactly who this "groovy Carlos" is. There are a few places I wish I could've stayed and a lady I wish I could've stolen away, but I don't think I am terribly different :cool:  I am dying to start growing again but I'm not sure when it's going to happen. Shooting for this fall! Until then I'll be taking notes in here :wave:

6. it's cool 420, didn't mean to step on anyone's toes but damn that's expensive. as mentioned i can buy a brand new mountain air filter (580cfm) for around 300 bucks and it will last me 2.5 to 3 years. and that's if i don't feel like refilling it, i just refilled the one i have for less than 100 bucks.

also note for anyone interested, coconut carbon is not very good for air filtering, better suited for water filtration, well certainly low on the totem pole for this application in any case.

hope everyone's having a fantastic Friday!

7. have to amend my post above and i can't edit today, the cost of refilling my filter is up to 150 bucks now with shipping, or there abouts. i can't believe how much it went up in 1 year. here is a link for the site i use to buy my bulk activated carbon, i use the VGAC4x8 size.

Well, I'm thinking that replacing the cartridges that often might be not needed depending on the amount of filtered stink. I assumed in my situation with 3 flowering plants I would probably need to replace them 3 times a year at most. Also the way I was looking at it, they seem to be restricting airflow much less than traditional can-style filters, which is always a plus if one is running air-cooled hoods. I would rather not upgrade my fans to stronger ones since the noise is also an important factor for me. As it is I have one of the most quiet "Soler&Palau" (by reviews), and I had to suspend it on bungee cords to muffle it even more. So there are lots of little points to consider.

Yup, I can't have any smell not inside nor out of the house. Which brings another point, if my airflow stays stronger it's easier for me to achieve negative pressure inside the grow and avoid the smell seeping through cracks into the house.

Yeah, the stealth of ordering replacements looks appealing to me also. I have to buy all grow equipment online and every time I order it I get cold feet.

Hi kshow77! Thanks for stopping by and spending time catching up, I hope it was enjoyable!  I'll try not to disappoint :)

Well, I had my doubts about your return :p Thanks for the kind words my friend! Stay tuned and I hope you get to growing sooner!

Thanks for the info Al! I wish these decisions came easier to me lol, the choices are really driving me crazy by now. Does the Mountain Air really last that long? I remember looking at them at some point and seeing something about 18 month guarantee. You forgot to put the link for a bulk carbon in, please post it when you have time. You got me thinking about refilling my old filter. What I have on hands is 2 fans (135CFM and 293CFM), and I was going to exhaust the flower room with 135 CFM and the smaller 4" filter (this one can be my old CAN filter refilled with fresh carbon) into the veg room, which will have a bigger 6" filter and 290 CFM fan exhausting outside. I was thinking double filtration should control the odor for sure.

Yes, me too, hoping everybody has a great Friday!

sorry Pinkie, i really didn't mean to confuse anyone nor upset anyone. i think the airbox filter is awesome for ease of use, just concerned at the cost for folks is all. as a grower and med patient i do not and never will sell my product so the budget has to be kept in check since i live off of an honest living like most do.

i use the VGAC4x8 top of list, at the bottom of the page, it is ideal for vapor odor control, jerry was kind enough to post it above, thx jerry.

Mountain Air is one of the best for certain, although they became damn hard to find for a while. my filter gave me 2.5 years and was emitting just a wee bit of smell at that point. i probably could have just mounted my 03 generator to it and gotten another year or so out of it. they use high quality carbon and i can personally attest to that since mine gave me 2.5 years of service.

i over size my fan and filter on purpose, word to the wise if you get the chance over size these items. you can never have too much airflow nor odor control eh. :)

this is the exact filter i use here for my room which is 4.5 W x 6 H x12 feet L

http://www.gardensupplyguys.com/GSG01980.html

like i said i refilled mine and used about 40lbs and it cost me 100 bucks but now maybe 150-160 bucks but that's still considerably cheaper than 350 + 240 per year to replace.

Thank you Jerry :) You rock :metal:

No worries Al, I easily get confused on my own when presented with multiple choices :p I am a terrible shopper in real life, and hate going to the most stores since for me it takes forever to choose. Garden stores I love though, and those take forever too, but in this case I don't mind :)

Thank you for all the info! Now, to sum it up, if I wanted to use my existing fan, am I better off having filter with more CFMs than my fan?  

I hope everybody enjoys the weekend! It's windy as heck here and still snowy, and I have a bouncy party to attend today with my little one. Planning on coming back and immediately blazing a j :)

P.S. My Bubblefuck is looking like a boy :rolleyes: Not 100% sure yet, since the preflowers are super small, but I'll take and post a pic tonight.

11. Just built a new scrubber with mine, this should be complete lockdown. And get rid of this pesky bit of PM I've been fighting.

ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1390700236.484480.jpg
    ImageUploadedByGrasscity Forum1390700252.754305.jpg

12. That's pretty badass, 420! I'm not even gonna attempt asking how difficult it is to rig up, looks waaaay above my league :laughing:

13. "So easy, a caveman can do it" :laughing: Look, I did it. :) Seriously tho,super easy, I just bought the unit and it goes inline of your exhaust.

14. sounds like a great weekend Pinkie, i enjoy spending time with the little ones, my grandson is quite a big part of life for my wife and i and we have another grandson arriving some time in March. :)

Pinkie yes, if you can up-size your filter do it, it will last longer and will also be less wearing on your fan since the resistance is lower. you don't have to get huge, just say for example a 400 CFM rated filter with a 200-300- CFM rated fan would be fine.

420Mil yeah man that's the exact same 03 generator i use but i will mention for anyone else if you use an 03 generator of this size and capability, you must exhaust it outside, it's just too much for indoor venting and makes some serious ozone.

15. also u mount the 03 generator on the out flow side of your system, example being in the grow room you have your carbon filter, then you have your fan, sucking air from your filter, then you mount your 03 generator, then exhaust to outside. i have read numerous confusion from people thinking the 03 generator is used in the grow room, that would probably kill your plants with this unit.

16. Sssssuuup Pink :bongin: . I had some free swing time today and am swinging through. Rocket gurl! :smoking:

17. #99 AugustWest, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2014

i kind of like the idea of it being inline instead of at the end of the line... that's gotta help w/ the flow i would think.
    personally i'm skeptical as to how it would perform vs a big can..
    as far as cost for my own personal grow.. i only use my filter during the last few weeks of flower and that week when they're hanging to dry... so i'd imagine that i wouldn't be changing filters as often as they suggest.
    it is a steep price to pay.. but if it's really effective then it may be worth it for some depending on their operation.

but honestly i'm kind of past the point of being super paranoid about someone smelling weed.. i'm not a dealer and there's no traffic here day and nigh driving in and out, i have no neighbors close and the pressure in the room keeps the stink out of the house just fine..
    the cops could watch me all they want, they'd bore themselves to death lol..

18. AW- i'm kind of in the same boat as you, perhaps the same waterway in any vent. the airbox is a cool design, if they could only find a way to make it more economical i'd be up for it. the filters don't last as long because there is far less carbon on pleated filters verses a Can with 1-2 inches of carbon.

i use 3M activated carbon furnace filters for my intake side and they work well for about 3 months or so. i think there's a lot to be said of being comfortable with what you have in place, doesn't matter really as long as you're comfortable with it and it functions for you.

i will say i loath the day i have to lower my 50lb can down and re hang it after refilling, what a ball buster by yourself that is. i would although have to lower the airbox to do the same, albeit lighter, since having your exhaust fan at ceiling level is the ideal way to remove heat, as you already know.

grow room design is something i always enjoyed, hailing from an HVAC career for many years it comes natural to me as does the love of building things in general.

one thing i would like to add is the sheer pleasure i receive from chatting with you all here, in this GC place we have found ourselves sharing time in, it's by far my favorite community to visit and learn, full of good people, knowledgeable people who genuinely care. :gc_rocks: