Proto knockoffs

Discussion in 'Smoking Pipes, Glass Spoon Pipes' started by keanekind, May 3, 2019.

1. So I’ve gone through my share of proto and proto style metal pipes and landed on the the punchbowl straight pipe...show me what you got here’s mine[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  2. #2 acstorfer, May 5, 2019
    Last edited: May 5, 2019
    I still have my ProtoPipe after 23 years.

[​IMG]

Last February (2018) I decided to retire it. It was pretty much an heirloom at this point. The question was, what will I replace it with? There were only two choices. It was between the Mendo Pipe, which was an improved version of the ProtoPipe made by the inventor of the ProtoPipe, and the Shaka Pipe made by Aloha Punchbowl which was basically an improved version of the Mendo Pipe. I went Shaka baby!

[​IMG]

A couple of weeks ago the state of Florida legalized mmj in smokeable form. I did break out my ProtoPipe from retirement to celebrate this.

Everyone should have a pipe that will be a future heirloom. Genuine ProtoPipes are too expensive and hard to find. While I’m sure there are some good ProtoPipe reproductions, but I wouldn’t trust them. The Mendo and Shaka pipes are top quality and built for the long run. I’m assuming the Mendo considering it’s inventor.

In every way my Shaka Pipe is better than my ProtoPipe. I’ll never love it like my ProtoPipe, but it’s a better pipe. My only issue with it is the top lid doesn’t swivel as smoothly as my ProtoPipe. Not a big problem, and it can be locked down for traveling, and loosened up for use. It’s just not as smooth. It’s a very minor thing. It’s one of those, if I have to find something then...

Keanekind, did you see the double barrel Shaka Pipes Daz makes?

• Like Like x 1
  3. I feel like the rare coin collector who has this über rare and valuable coin only to have someone find a boatload of them. My original ProtoPipe went from being worth around $100 - $150 which was amazing for a used pipe. Suddenly it’s worth nothing :(. It’s cool. No way I was ever selling. Anyway...

Proto Pipe

So basically the original creator sold off the company in the 90’s. During that time he made the Mendo Pipe (which has been renamed the Proto Rocket). A couple years ago he was able to buy back his old company. As it turned out he found a pretty good size stockpile of OG ProtoPipes.

4. I read his story, as well.
    I gave away ALL of my Proto-Pipes and replacement parts...
    all at the same time, to a friend.
    I absolutely was in love with the thoughtful engineering.
    HOWEVER... they always ended up leaking out the bottom.
    Their new design may overcome that issue... and would be a better pipe for it... IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  5. There were many issues, but it’s all about the 23+ years with it. It’s been with me EVERYWHERE for decades. A big brass pipe is indestructible. It’s an heirloom to me at this point.

I mentioned my Shaka Pipe earlier in the thread, I think. I’m too stoned to check. Anyway, amazing improvements made. I have a small issue with it, which it’s actually another improvement, but for my needs it’s more bothersome than anything. The Rocket addresses enough without my issue.

Nowadays my ProtoPipe doesn’t go out with me, and I no longer rely on it for scraping. I clean it quite regularly so none of the issues really affect me at all. I just still love it. I’m now almost entirely on vaping, but I still need to use it at least a couple days a week. The reason I want a Rocket is because even the strongest things after 23 years can weaken. The pipe is solid, but the poker and trap are very loose. They pop out all the time. It’s pretty ironic considering it’s the poker and trap sticking that bothers most people. A couple micro slivers of electrical tape handles it fine for home, but if I want to take it outdoors I don’t trust it in my pocketbook. Well actually because of cartridges it’s just not practical with the pipe most of the time.

It’s probably worth considering just replacing the poker and trap, but I kept it original for soooooo long, including the mouthpiece. Ha! I could always take out the Shaka. The thing that bothers me is actually an improvement with portability/pocketability in mind. The poker has a 90 degree angle that acts as a handle so it’s easy to pull it out of it’s holster. Besides just being a poker, it’s also an Allen wrench. It is used to not only lock down the resin collection lid, but it can also lock down the top lid so it can be packed without fear of it opening in the pocket. My issue is just about the screw used for it. It has a tendency of loosening/tightening between it being opened and closed. Because I open and close the lid every time I light it up, it was just a bother to me. It’s a fantastic pipe and a true homage to the OG.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Absolutely. My proto pipe aside from the knockoff has been in the family 20+ years and still works like a champ .

Sent from my SM-J260T1 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  7. My issue was always brown crap seeping from around the bottom plug.
    I suppose that would’t have been a problem if I’d cleaned them more often.
    A friend of fifty years has them, now, so it’s all good.
    I remember when I gave them to him!
    We went to a pipe store and he bought a knock-off.
    It was SO bad that I felt awful; he deserved better.
    I opened ‘that drawer’, and gave him all the pipes and pieces/parts.
    I think we both felt better...

• Like Like x 2
  8. I purchased the Mendo-Pipe/Proto Rocket and I received it almost two weeks ago. While I have to admit how impressed I am with this thing not clogging, I’ve used it daily for probably two bowls per day average, I am actually very pissed off that I’ve had to wipe ooze off the bottom twice. I also just know opening the tar trap is going to suck! It will be a solid mess of funk. I am so disappointed with it. My Shaka Pipe is so much better.

9. Brown goop leaking from the area around the bottom plug was always my problem.
    rocket socce derby