Protecting plants from frost

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Johnmon, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Hey. I got 2 plants in upstate new york, (lovin this weather btw), that are doing pretty well for my first grow. I started them a little late, like in the beginning of june but it seems to be workin out. My question is Does anyone have a good method for keeping your plants warm just incase there is an unexpected frost in October? Im expecting my plants to both finish about mid october but im worried we may get some cold weather that may fuck with them. I was thinking some kinda of bucket or tarp that still allows light in. Or i could always just take the cover off in the morning. thnx:smoke:

2. here is something i found that may be helpfull.

Plant varieties which flower late, in areas where late spring frosts may occur. Often times a plant will survive frost on the foliage, but the same frost would kill any flower buds which have emerged.
    Because cold air, being denser than warm air sinks, low lying areas of the garden can be several degrees colder. Consequently frost may occur in these areas when there is no frost evident anywhere else in the garden. Plant tender species on higher ground or on slopes where the cold air will flow past the plants as it moves to the low point. Any sloping area is less prone to frost, because the cold air can't settle there as easily.
    Precondition your plants to withstand cold temperatures by discontinuing fertilizing in early September, so that no new foliage is on the plant when cold temperatures arrive. Older leaves are much tougher and more able to withstand a frost.

When the inevitable occurs and a frost is predicted, there are several things which you can do to protect your plants.

• [*]Water the garden thoroughly before nightfall. The soil will release moisture into the air around your plants during the night, keep the air somewhat warmer.
        [*]Even a slight breeze will prevent cold air from settling near the ground during the night. You can help keep frost from forming by providing this breeze artificially with an electric fan. Be sure to protect the fan and all electrical connections from water and the elements.
        [*]Cover up before dusk! By the time it gets dark much of the stored heat in the garden has already been lost. If you have time, build a simple frame around the plant, or row of plants. (Even a single stake can be used in many cases.) Then drape a cover of newspaper, cardboard, plastic tarps, bed sheeting or any other lightweight material over the frame to create a tent. If you don't have time to create a frame, lay the protective cover directly onto the plant. This will help to slow the loss of heat rising from the foliage and the ground. Remove the covers in the morning, once the frost has thawed, to let the light and fresh air back in, and to prevent overheating by the sun.
        [*]For smaller individual plants you can use glass jars, milk jugs with the bottom removed, paper cups upside down flower pots as heat traps. Don't forget to remove these covers in the morning.
        [*]You can collect heat during the day by painting plastic milk jugs black and filling them with water. Place them around your plants where they will collect heat during the day. Water loses heat more slowly than either soil or air. This collected heat will radiate out throughout the night.
        [*]Potted plants are particularly susceptible to frosts because the roots are also unprotected. If you are unable to move your container plants indoors or under cover remember to also wrap the pot in burlap or bubble wrap, or simply bury the pot in soil in addition to protecting the foliage.

building a temporary green house. and maybe possibly look into getting a warmer. you know something like what is used for reptiles in there cages. maybe dig a hole in the ground next to the plant(if your in ground) and place the flat bed warmer about 1' deep under the soil to warm up the nearby area. make sure you can check the temp with some kind of probe. that coupled with the clear plastic greenhouse sounds like a viable way to fight back the frost. good luck. would love to hear how she turns out.:smoke:

oh i forgot to say, if you are in pots you might want to place the flatbed plastic warmer under the pot on low to start. then possibly turn it up a notch depending on the soil tempurature. GL

3. Thanks man! that helped out a shitload. Yea i am growing in 6 gallon buckets and i did already dig about a 4 foot hole to place them in. im thinking of just insulating the buckets and possibly covering them. and hope for the best. thnx

4. You can also use old tires. Fill them with water and set the pot inside of it. The rubber heats up during the day and slowly releases it through the night. Works like a charm with my veggies.