Protecting plants from frost

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by bigc29, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Its starting to get cold at night here in toronto, ontario..I have my plants pretty deep in a feild planted in the ground. They started flowering aug. 30th so there only 3 an a half weeks flwr..there 8 week strains so still awhile to go..anyone got any ideas on what I could do to get threw atleast mid oct...I can't build a cold frame..would covering them work??..what's the best matiarial to use to cover..thanks for ur help

Sent from my Rise using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. get ur own land build a ghouse and run it. Next time run strains with sshorter flower times

3. If they have a 8 wk flowering period they have some Indica in them and will likely take some frost.  I've had them withstand several frosts fown into the mid 20s F.  Covering them at night will help. 

Good luck!

4. They can withstand cold like that? Im in MI and frost has been a concern for me as well...

Sent from N860 in space

5. I've grown one of the strains a couple times before..this year is messed up flowering late..I just hope to get atleast 6 weeks in

Sent from my Rise using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. yeah weather patterns ars changin too due to climacticchange.bgood luck man

7. The only thing I've found with freezing night temps, here in northeastern N.M., is when frost settles on the plants.  That will burn them and really mess up the taste!  That's why I say cover them.  If the humidity is high, like it likely is there where you live and rarely is here, it is likely to frost with the freezing temps.  So cover your plants with a sheet or some plastic or whatever to keep frost from settling on them when you expect frost.  And uncover them as soon as the sun starts to shine again.

8. Ay thanks alot! Would trash bag material be sufficient?

Sent from N860 in space

9. It would.  A bed sheet works well too.

10. Keep in mind, it isn't to keep it from freezing.  It is to keep frost from settling on it.  A bed sheet will keep more heat in than the garbage bag would but either will keep frost from settling on the plant.

11. Ima go with the bedsheet then...thanks again bro!!!! Youre a lifesaver!

Sent from N860 in space

12. I wish you the best of luck!

13. Thanks I'm gonna need it! I've come too far to let the frost fuck me up now....

Sent from N860 in space

14. Hesian to cover them, obviously you will need to build some sort of mini frame to keep the weight off the plants.

15. If it is going to get really cold, like down below about 25, you can put a incandescent light in a bucket of gallon can to block light and put that in there for a heater.  Just be careful not to get it too close to the plants or where it can start a fire.  Be creative!

16. in canada growing mj is highly illegal. He probably growsnon other people's land or government land aka crown land

"if you want me to response back, quote me."