Protecting against backyard thieves?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by OlSpazzy, Sep 7, 2012.

1. What are the safest, legal property defense options for California backyard medical growers?

I'm in Northern California running a medical co-op grow with 4 others in my backyard. A lot of our plants are in full flower with some of them very close to harvest and I'm now extra worried about thieves after a recent event: the neighbor right next to our garden decided to replace their roof, which resulted in a lot of day-laborers standing high up with full sight of our 25 plants. I even spoke with one of them and he complimented me on the garden.

As nice as that guy may have seemed, how many guys will be eyeing my grow while this roof is replaced? And who else will they tell? I have to assume my address is on someone's map or soon will be.

So with that reality in mind, what can I reasonably do to protect my grow? So far we've:

-Padlocked the gates and put up "beware of dog" signs (but we're not actually allowed to have a dog because we're renting)
    -Installed a wireless night-vision security camera w/ motion recording
    -Stashed a 3-cell Maglite and a sword (roommate's lol) near the back door in case we actually have to scare someone off
    -Ordered a wireless motion sensor+alarm combo to alert us at night

Any other ideas? Our fences around this neighborhood suck and can easily be jumped so the padlocks are mostly useless deterrents that will only stop the laziest of thieves. The security footage won't be of much use since the cops will likely laugh it off plus it doesn't do anything to PREVENT theft (unless one of us is constantly watching the live feed for intruders).

I'm thinking the motion alarm + Maglite is my best defense currently. Guns are out of the question as California laws suck in that regard, even pepper spray over 2.5oz is illegal here and could only be used for defense of life, not property, or you'd be tried for assault.

So once again, what are the safest, legal property defense options for California backyard medical growers?

2. So over here in the UK you can get anti vandalism paint which never dries paint the tops of the fences with this if its available over there. Can you also use barbed or razor wire on the fences?
    Maybe some fishing line cleverly placed as trip wire. Or maybe invest in an electric fence, they hurt like fuck and could be run around the top of all your fences.

Sorry if all this is useless just what I would do if I had a similar problem (we gotta be ultra careful over here anyways as the government won't entertain the idea of medicinal)
    Peace out and good luck

3. bro get a gun and give your friend his sword back lol

4. Tents in the back yard and sleep with your bitches. Also dollar store pull pin window alarms 99 cents make great home made trip wires. Also I would be careful with guns. Your are only allowed to shoot them if they are in your house not the back yard. Also with neighbors that close if u miss there is potential for hitting a bystander or something else. What i did Is if u have shotgun u take a shell and empry all the pellets out an fill it with salt rock. It won't kill them just really fuck the rest of there week up for sure.

5. I've never heard of the anti-vandal paint but even if it's available to me, I can't use it since I don't own the property and have no right to make such a modification. Same for the wire.

I didn't steal the sword, he's in on this grow with us. Definitely no guns. Not legal or smart around here for property defense (as opposed to self-defense).

I like the camp-out idea.

6. [quote name='"OlSpazzy"']I've never heard of the anti-vandal paint but even if it's available to me, I can't use it since I don't own the property and have no right to make such a modification. Same for the wire.

I didn't steal the sword, he's in on this grow with us. Definitely no guns. Not legal or smart around here for property defense (as opposed to self-defense).

I like the camp-out idea.[/quote]

Bear mace. Shoots it's up to 50 ft and take them down. Why can't u use fishing sting to make trip wire alerts. They are made to wake u up. Also harbors freight has drive way alerts that sense motion and sound a alarm. They are like 8 bucks a pice. And yes with how many plants u have sleeping with the ladies is a must.

7. most thieves will run if they hear a gunshot i wasnt implying to shoot them but a shot in the sky from a 12 gauge will be alot more scary then a sword

8. [quote name='"smokinhomegrown"']most thieves will run if they hear a gunshot i wasnt implying to shoot them but a shot in the sky from a 12 gauge will be alot more scary then a sword[/quote]

And that is y I suggested salt rock loads. After about 20 ft they will just bounce off but the sound of a 12 ga will make them shit there pants. Or shot back. How do u plan to defend your self then. Most rippers going into a grow that big will be guarded with weapons so y not bring there's.

9. #9 poppybgood, Sep 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2012
    I got one of these after being robbed 3 times in one year, and it's never happened again.

Edit: Whoever's not part of the pack and ends up in your backyard will need reconstructive surgery. That kind of sucks about Cali laws. Here in Florida the cops say make sure you kill the intruder to avoid a lawsuit. I stand by the old saying, I'll give you my guns, bullets 1st.

Attached Files:

10. [quote name='"poppybgood"']I got one of these after being robbed 3 times in one year, and it's never happened again.

Edit: Whoever's not part of the pack and ends up in your backyard will need reconstructive surgery.[/quote]

That looks like a pit/ hound dog. I have 2 pits and 6 hound dogs for bear hunting. Witch there kennels are in the garden next to where I sleep.

11. It's a catahoula pit mix. I let mine run free, fenced in property of course.

12. My friends uncle would paint razor wire green and put it within in the plants so it cant be seen.

13. Get a dog and train it to defend them. Or is that illegal?

14. Not any more

15. [quote name='"JUSTHILLBILLY"']

Not any more[/quote]

Yeah I was just talking with the game warden last weekend out at dove opener. It's pretty lame Because I don't even shoot bears. I just love running the dogs and treeing bears. That shit is way to much work for me to do. Sit me in a duck blind all day.

16. I saw there were motion detector sprinklers that could spray people or animals..you could then electrify the door and fry em lol

17. There has been a lot of talk about security on the 2012 growers challenge thread. You might get some valuable info there. We've talked about all kinds of great ideas.

18. It's hard for me to wrap my head around people who live in a state where it's legal to grow a number of plants, yet there are still people too lazy to grow their own and rip other people's hard work off. Thief= Sorry SOB.

19. With my sawed off shotgun hand on the pump left hand on a forty puffin on a blunt

20. The sound of loading a round in the chamber of a pump seems to change people's minds a bit.

• Agree Agree x 1