prospects of medical marijuana in mississippi?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by superredneck98, Mar 3, 2009.

1. What do ya'll think of the prospects of MMJ in Mississippi? It is one of the most conservative states in the union but it has one of the governments main producers of medical marijuana in a town about an hour from me and it decriminalized marijuana in 1978 which is way ahead of many states but the proposal for MMJ in congress was shot down without much of a fight. What do you all think?

2. So you say that MS has already DECRIMINALIZED marijuana? If that's what I'm understanding then you want to get in contact with your states reps and senators and see what their stances are on MMJ and see about getting someone to endorse some kind of MMJ proposal for your state. If nothing happens now like I told buddy from Louisiana, you'll see some changes around the time Texas and Florida get something rolling.

3. Yes i know its suprising they decriminalized a long time ago.So should i try and contact a senator from my area? Whats the etiquette on that? Letter, email, what?

4. Letter, E-mail AND a phone call to their office. You want them to know that you are serious and getting your voice heard through every post possible is the best way to accomplish that.

5. #5 weflyhigh, Mar 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2009
    Sorry dude, but weed is NOT decriminalized in MS.

"In 1978, Mississippi decriminalized cannabis and in 2004, House Bill 28[43] further decriminalized cannabis by classifying possession of less than 30 grams (1.05 ounces) of cannabis a misdemeanor punishable by a $100 to $250 fine; stricter punishments exist for sale, cultivation, subsequent offenses, or possession in a motor vehicle.[44]"

If you get charged with a misdemeanor, then that means it goes on your criminal record, thus being criminalized.

(correct me if I'm wrong)

6. I believe being decriminalized means you serve zero jail time only a small fine, thereby being a misdeanor as opposed to a crime. Hence the word criminal.

7. A misdemeanor IS a crime...

Websters:
    "misdemeanor: a crime less serious than a felony"

Misdemeanors go on criminal records, but if marijuana is decriminalized, then why would it show up on a criminal record?

Ok, here we go:

Websters:
    "decriminalize: to remove or reduce the criminal classification or status of ; especially : to repeal a strict ban on while keeping under some form of regulation"

So, if the state at one point threw people in jail for weed, but no longer do, then it has been decriminalized. So it is not fully decriminalized in Mississippi, the sentences just have been slightly reduced.

I'm not calling you right or wrong I'm just trying to make sense of this because I always thought for something to be decriminalized would be to mean you wouldn't get a criminal record from it. But if you get charged with a misdemeanor for possession in MS then you have a criminal record therefore you are a criminal.

8. But I think when it comes to Marijuana, this is the standard definition of decriminalization. Because even in cali, which is obviously decriminalized the standard punishment is still a misdemeanor resulting in a fine.