Pros and Cons of Keeping a Mother Plant vs Cloning every cycle

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by capitolp, Jul 19, 2019.

1. I'm trying to decide which to do to keep strains going. Take a clone and raise it/maintain it to be a mother and take clones from it whenever I need to start new plants? Or clone each plant before I flip to flower and repeat every cycle effectively cloning a clone of a clone of a clone and so forth. Sorry if I'm not writing it well I'm a bit hazy today.

The main disadvantage I see to having a mother is maintaining it, specifically finding a good space for it. What else can you think of as advantages of disadvantages to either method? What do you do and why?

P

2. Cons would be waste of space, waste of electricity, waste of water/nutrients, waste of time and work. Also being stuck growing the same strain indefinitely gets old. I like changing things up to much. Space was the main reason I stopped keeping a mother.

Pros would be always having a plant that's ready to produce clones. For me this doesnt apply though because I'll take a clone off a plant deep into flower.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Very true a mother will typically drink a lot. Like killset said will take up a good amount of space as well. The only reason people would is strong genetics they wish to keep or breeding.

• Like Like x 1
  4. How late do you take your clones? And also have you noticed a difference in vigor or yield etc with either technique?

P

5. I've taken them right up until harvest. I usually aim for 3-4 weeks into flower, I personally prefer monster cropped clones. They tend to bush out and be branchy. I grow scrog so that's beneficial

As far as vigor goes, I see no difference between a normal clone and a monster cropped clone. It does usually take a few extra days to grow roots and start growing correctly. Monster cropping causes the clone to stress out a bit as it reverts back to veg but they pull right though.

• Like Like x 1