pros and cons of cynicism

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by dantheman52, Oct 26, 2010.

1. The goal of life is happiness which is to live in agreement with Nature.
    2. Happiness depends on being self-sufficient, and a master of mental attitude.
    3. Self-sufficiency is achieved by living a life of Virtue.
    4. The road to virtue is to free oneself from any influence such as wealth, fame, or power, which have no value in Nature.
    5. Suffering is caused by false judgments of value, which cause negative emotions and a vicious character.
    ^^straight from wikipedia but it pretty much covers it. i think these are really important values to consider. what do you guys think?

1. #2 ete23, Oct 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2010
    wheres the love
    natures best trait

but ya, the goal is to have positive thoughts and emotions, the purpose i think, is what you make your purpose to be.

2. very true, love should be on there. its interesting to think about what your "purpose" would be if you were a cynic. no money, no job, none of that stuff. what would your goals be? i think it puts alot into perspective.

3. maybe a jesus scenario, man of love and peace, people welcome you and feed,cloth you etc etc, because, you are such a GOOD person, your reputation keeps you alive

4. I agree with all of this, I strive for it. I need to make myself stronger so I can support myself, if I go at it without strength, then I will fail. It's a work in progress, I didn't even know they had a word for it.

5. thanks for posting this....you made me feel good about my life, i didn't know I already was living a life of virtue, but if that's what is is, i'm happy. I def don't have fame, or wealth, and have no interest in power, ppl who have it are people I really don't like. I have learned to be a master of my own mental attitude....took many yrs to tho, I am trying to help my partner with it as well, it does take alot of effort and work, but I have always been a firm believer of mind over matter....people literally drive their own selfs crazy in the world, with worry about things you can't change...so accept and deal is how i feel about it, and so many people take themselves to their own crippling depressions, then run to the dr. for pills which are a joke.
    the world has become a weaker, lazier, and give me now world, for quite awhile now....nothing that makes a person stronger is easy, but it is well worth it to become a mentally stronger person.

I also feel, letting go of the material world and all the things that tv's papers and ads tell you, you need to be happy, is a bunch of BS, you can't find happy in any store...you find it in yourself...getting closer to nature, becoming a more loving person, more positive, and helping others in the world, instead of always thinking about our own selves and our problems all the time....all these things really free the soul. JMO :smoke:

6. :) +rep for sure. i enjoyed reading that