Properly drying before curing

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by clint torres, Apr 5, 2012.

1. I know the 'snap' rule about if a stem snaps and the inside stays together that it is a good dryness.

My question is, if the part of the stem that is closest to the main stalk snaps right off, the center area of the stem snaps with the center together just right, but the part of the stem nearest the end kola is still pliable. Is this ready or should I give it another day?

Like is it better to over dry just a tad and leave it to cure like that so it may be a safer bet to kill that chlorophyll taste? Will putting bud in the jar a day early lock in that chlorophyll? Will a proper cure bring out the aroma more?

If it does get a bit crispy should I maybe put a humidity egg in there during or after the cure?

Finally on a plant that was from seed and not topped that is only about 14" (space limits), it has many side shoots that will be easy to tell, but does the stem rule apply to the main kola? do I let it dry that long so the stem right under it does the 'medium snap' or maybe trim off single buds right at end of dry?

Please help. This is my first real good crop after a year of spider mites, temp problems, a bad ph tester and when my dog was dying I had a 5 0z. crop that was FILLLLLED with his hair. That didn't matter, I over fed that one so bad it was worthless anyway. it was BAD.
    Anyway this is my first good crop and my first little afrodite smelled great and it was the first time the smell really stayed in the bag and tasted like it. The other 2 are bigger and took an extra 2 weeks to finish. I don't want to fuck up on this. I just got a good, system and have got down a good feeding schedule. Now it's time to really get the next one.
    :yay:

:confused_2:

2. Drying to long will destroy the smell. Drying not enough increases your chances of mold. Knowing your ro will help slot.

3. ro?

Ok, so if the base of the tip snaps, the middle half snaps and the end is pliable, is that when to put it into jars? or should I let it go another day?:confused:

ps - these are smaller plants, like with 1/2 oz. each. some of the buds near where the stem is pliable seem dry enough but...

4. Start curing. But make sure to open the jar twice a day to let out the moisture. But also check out the harvest forum

5. I think "ro" meant "RH" relative humidity.
    IMO when the stemm snaps. Its too dry.
    Want it to kinda snap but not break. And just kinking is too moist still.
    215fly is right. Burp em frequntly.
    The smellm comes on the more they cure.

6. YES, thank you!! Live in the devil's butthole of a desert. Typical dry is 4-5 days. 5 is usually max before stuff starts breaking. This is the first time I have a large main kola I have to keep an eye on. Do I wait until the main stem just snaps like you said or should I judge by outside dryness. should I cut off the individual little buds from the large kola or keep it whole?

7. #7 hemi4spd, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2012
    Drying whole colas can be risky if the buds ar touching eachother alot. They wint dry so well in between. For speed alot of ppl shave em all off the big stalks. Why dry the stalks? U cant smoke em.
    I like stalks myself as i have something to hold em by and hang em from.

I i were you id cut em off, into the jar they go. Open jar 10-15 mins each day and gently move them around in jar.

They day you open the jar and it dont smell like hay. You know they are ready to rip.
    The longer you resist temptation though the more flavour you will get.

8. Dry them in the jars?

9. No im assuming you gonna dry. (musta been pretty lit i forgot that step lol)
    If you dont want to hang dry lay em out on cardboard. Dont let em touch eachother. And rotate em to avoid flat spots.

But if your RH is as desert like as you say. Your shit will probably be dry in a day.

10. hanging branches, 4 days...whole 5-6, but the window is small.

how do i really tell when the moisture is right?

11. It becomes trial and error to a degree.
    I myself dont like when the stems snap. I like a 2 day dry(RH 27%).
    Then jar for as long as i can before i burn it all up.

Are the buds starting to get crisp to touch?

12. last plant one morning a bit wet, next morning bone dry

13. is there an easy way to feel by touch to tell right when they are dry enough if you cut them off the stem. not too wet, not to dry. what kind of window do I have

14. Check it more often than daily. Check it evry 4 hr.
    Man where u live death valley?