Proper way to plant a seed?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by stevox23, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Most sites will tell you the taproot emerging from the seed case is to be planted down into the soil, but I just read that its supposed to be planted taproot up because the natural tendency of the seed is to send the root upward at an angle and then back down (therefore, planting downward makes it expend energy to send the root back up). Any help here (kinda stupid, but just curious really). Check it out.

http://www.amsterdammarijuanaseeds.info/how-to-position-sow-cannabis-seeds-in-soil.html

2. Thats interesting. I have always germinated and put them root down into the soil, never
    had any problems before. I am going to have to germinate some seeds and watch what
    happens in the soil sometime.

~Experimentalist

3. #3 chemicalcomfort, Oct 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2008
    planting it upside down sounds like just asking for trouble.

if there is energy wasted, it's gotta be minimal. after my seeds germinate and i plant them, they surface and fully crack open in about a day, day and a half. and i dunno about whoever said that, but my roots always just go straight down.

if you plant it upside down it's gonna cause all kinds of problems (being upside down being the biggest probably :p). i'm curious as to where exactly you heard this.

4. Where did I hear this?-->check out the link provided in my original post (from a seemingly knowledgable seed bank). I don't know whether its true or not, but just curious.

5. I was reading some other post the other day and some dude suggested planting it horizontally
    In my opinion, that is quite genius
    Give it a try :D

6. No most seeds make a turn downward after taping
    Pointing the tap down loses energy and the plant may never grow

7. This is hard to tell, but from what I know everytime my plants emerge from the soil sometimes the seed is still stuck on the top...which makes me think planting it up would be wasting energy because the tap root would jus have to reverse and go down. Just what I think though I could be wrong. Smoke on:smoking:

8. Interesting thread, I guess without experiments to back it up (although scientifically it makes sense), I'll plant it tap root down based on everybody having success with that method.