Proper terminology....

Discussion in 'Tattoo, Piercings and Body Art' started by JenWearsPrada, May 31, 2012.

1. Doe's it bother anyone as much as it does me when people say "oh i like you're gauges" or "how long did it take you to gauge your ears?!"

Ugh... lol.... I know some people dont care but that really bothers me. Ive been stretching for 9 years and I know it truly gets under my skin like nothing else.

2. Yea, it's annoying. But lots of things can be annoying, so I generally just ignore it.

Really, it doesn't bother me... it just makes me think the person doesn't know what they're talking about. So I just try my best to not change my judgement of them based on a silly word, and then emphasize words like "stretched" or "plugs" when I reply. :) I don't bother correcting people unless they're obnoxious about it.

3. Doesn't bother me one bit.

I use the proper terminology, but if someone asks me a question about my stretched lobes using the wrong terminology I'm not gonna freak out and correct them.

4. Op maybe try some meditation, or counseling. I'm not sure what to say if something so minor is actually affecting you. I'm sorry to hear about your problem.

5. Dont get me wrong. I dont flip. The ones the bug me are the ones that have been doing it for years... the ones that think when your ears bleed its normal. lol. And wont listen otherwise.

6. Please tell us more about how bad your life is OP

7. I am a piercer, been stretching my lobes for almost 6 years, I am visibly tattooed, and I have a stretched septum. Nothing bothers me more than ignorance, and thanks to kids these days, that's all we have. When I was working at a studio in the mall I would direct anyone looking for "gauges" to check their car. I have friends that use the term in describing me/my piercings and its upsetting how its okay for people to bastardize my industry and tell me "whatever, that's what everyone calls them".

Fuck that. Get educated, grow up, and learn proper terminology. And don't be a douche when someone offers the correct term, LEARN IT.

And if you don't like it, don't comment :] fucking troll somewhere else (or just don't, and be a community like we're supposed to -.-)

8. I want to eat people's faces off when they say gauges.
    Jesus christ it doesn't even sound cool.

9. Easy on the bath salts man! lol

10. I don't want to learn the terms because I usually just ignore weird looking people. It's not like I would actually talk to a person in real life who would do all that shit to their face.

11. This underground piercing lingo must be supersecret...cuz after reading this I still don't know what to call those things.

12. It irritates me and I don't even have any piercings anymore

13. i like that this thread is like two below a thread called "guages" haha

14. It's almost as annoying as when people mix up their/there/they're or its/it's or you're/your.

15. Why not try to educate those that don't know the proper terminology instead of just complaining that they are calling something by improper terminology without offering the correct term.

What are they supposed to be called besides gauges, because honestly that's the only thing I've ever heard them being called and that's all you guys have referred to them as in this thread so far.

16. so what the hell are they called ? haha

stretchers ? plugs ?

I'll stick with gauges until I am enlightened with this hip lingo .

17. I agree, I still don't know what to call them without offending someone. I remember working in a store that sold them and people always referred to them as gauges.

This kinda seems like a trend thing to me...like whatever we're supposed to call them now will just change in a few years again...kinda like the alternative/gothic/emo evolution.

It makes me think that if someone walked up to the OP and said 'hey nice purple shirt' she would reply : 'fuck you, it's magenta you moron'

18. #18 8ight, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2012
    It's really not that difficult?
    They're just stretched ears. It's not a trend. For some reason, some dumbass started calling them gauges, and then everyone followed. But if you just look at a dictionary, calling them "gauges" makes no sense whatsoever.

Nice gauges. Nice plugs/tunnels/whatever jewelry the person is wearing (if you're not sure, just call them earrings).

What size gauges are those? What size earrings are those?

I want to gauge my ears. I want to stretch my ears.

I dunno... that help?

19. (too short)

20. Someone put it simply for me a LONG time ago... "They're Plugs not gauges and its Stretching not gauging" :)