Proper electrical outlet for a grow room?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Doc6701, Apr 2, 2010.

1. If I were going to have an outlet(s) installed, can someone give me the details I should request?

Should I make it a 240 and then use a converter so I can always use 240 if I need to? How many amps? Will one do it?

I would use around 800 watts at first but would like to expand up to maybe 2000w.

TIA

2. It depends on how many lights and fans you are using, and how many amps each appliance draws. You would probably need a 400 amp service. That is if you are going to add a seperate service for your grow op. And if your house is a 2 phase service, then upgrading to a 3 phase service would save electricity in the long run. If that makes any sense.

3. You know I didnt even consider whether my house was 3 phase or not... hmm..

anyway I was just talking about a couple of outlets and breakers. from going to run around 2000W total, nothing too huge.

4. If you are in the US, your house is most likely single phase. Use Ohm's Law to determine your amp draw. AMPS=VOLTS/WATTS. So, for a 2000w set up, & 240v, you are a little over 8 amps. 120v will put you over 16 amps. Any other devices will also draw current & must be added to your calculation. I would suggest at least a dedicated 20A circuit for that much wattage.
    If you are outside the US & run on 220 or 50 cycle power, you will need advice form someone far smarter than me.
    As for the converter, I have no advice on that, but I would recommend you use GCFI outlets, since water will be present.

My first post, yay.

5. Thank you. I am in the states. I was thinking, for security reasons, I would ask for a 240 and 120 on seperate breakers, like a washer-dryer setup would be. I have an electrician that owes me money, but I still dont want him knowing whats up.

6. Good call on the separate breakers. Hadn't considered that. I have a washer-dryer set up already, so i can't use that for my excuse. (My electrician friend wired up the dryer when i moved in a couple years ago.) I was thinking "work room" & /or deep freeze. Now, I just have to get some dough & build my box. Good luck.