Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Proper Decarb Time?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by UnclePuffy420, May 7, 2020.

1. What is the proper decarb time for when your making edibles? I'm asking regarding both for shake/trim and lightly broken up flower. I've read a bunch of different times online and in a few cannabis cookbooks I have so I don't know what to do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Part of the confusion is because there are an infinite number of accurate decarb temp/time combos.
    Here's a list of some of them. 240 F for 40 min is also optimal, and very popular.

Temp (F) Time (h)
    284----- 0.14
    266----- 0.27
    248----- 0.51
    230----- 1
    212----- 2
    194----- 4.3
    180----- 8
    150----- 33
    130----- 92

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. 33 & 92 hours? The chart confused me dude & I've decarbed plenty of times :laughing:

4. i did it, after some research, which i may have modified to meet my conditions, 185 for 40 minutes. and it seems like that was just to make sure. what i want to know is, where do i find 90 something percent isoprpyl?

5. Good luck finding the iso! With this Covid mess going on, 91% iso is as scarce as toilet paper! Normally, Walmart and most drug stores carry it. If you are lucky, you may find some if you get there just as they put some out.

Granny

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. There's plenty on eBay dude & the prices haven't gone up that much on there when I checked the other day :smoke:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Trying to help, not confuse.
    I cut and pasted these data, so had no control over the temps chosen.

Yes, some of those are very long decarb times, but people will try anything, including trying to decarb at 130 or 160 F.
    I left out these:
    115 F = 8.6 days
    100 F = 20 days
    90 F = 37 days

My first ever attempt at decarb was 250 F for 30 min recommended by MagicButterMachine.
    It was a failure, because I didn't know that those numbers applied to decarb in air, not in oil, and I did it in oil.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  8. Thanks for the feedback guys. I recently bought the Magical Butter Machine to make edibles and tinctures. I'm still testing out my decarb times and temps. I also need to up the amount of flower. Thanks again.

9. Stop being so smart and confusing the crap out of people. This is exactly why I flick you shit about this. I have actualy tried those times and a few others. 240*F for 40 minutes works the best as most of those temps and times dont work at all. Just knock it tf off ffs.

240*F for 40 minutes. Perfectly decarbed. No questions, works perfectly, no edibles are wasted.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Situations can arise that call for a different decarb than 240 for 40 min.
    The data you claim to be unable to understand might help then.

240 F for 40 min is no better or worse than the other temp/time combos in the chart.
    It just happens to be more popular on this forum.
    Other decarbs are more popular in other places.

For example, the most popular decarb right now might be 250 F for 30 min.
    That came from the one of the most popular decarb charts ever.

If you have data about the other decarbs you claim to have tried, I'd be interested in seeing it.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Always make sure to decarb first before putting it in oil or butter. Vaporizers are perfect for this.

12. You vape 40 minutes at 240F!? Does that even get you stoned???

13. I gotta ask, what does decarbing mean?

14. It removes ("de") a carboxyl group ("carb") from the THC molecules and releases it as CO2 gas. (This is why bubbles, if you decarb in oil.) In layman's terms, this converts the "bad THC" molecules into "good THC" molecules so we can get stoned.

Decarb isn't necessary as a separate step when you smoke, because of the high temperatures from the flame.

15. How does that factor into vaporizing? Those low (240 degrees) temps surely wouldn't get you to where you'd like to be. I think that's what's confusing me.

16. Vaping is the exact opposite goal as decarb.

The goal of decarb is to make your herb stronger for making edibles.

The goal of vaping is to make your herb weaker by extracting the THC out of the herb and into your lungs.

Proper decarb should be under 311F (the evaporation temp for THC) whereas proper vaping should be above 311F. (@bkarnaze posted some good data about this up above.)

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Clearer, thanks.

18. Hi,

It looks like you have accidentally mistaken what the right column in your list is. In the original chart that column is the reaction time relative to 230F. Meaning that 212F takes 2x longer than 230F, and 180F takes 8x longer than 230F, etc etc. I am uploading the original chart, as well as the thread from 2014 where the person did the calculations based on a paper they had read.

Cheers!

psqyYin.png

• Like Like x 2
  19. OTE="fintwins, post: 25592121, member: 1135469"]Hi,

It looks like you have accidentally mistaken what the right column in your list is. In the original chart that column is the reaction time relative to 230F. Meaning that 212F takes 2x longer than 230F, and 180F takes 8x longer than 230F, etc etc. I am uploading the original chart, as well as the thread from 2014 where the person did the calculations based on a paper they had read.

Cheers!

View attachment 2910756 [/QUOTE]

You are correct about that last column, and I did consider that before posting the chart.
    Fortunately, that last column also gives approximate time in hours.
    Rather than going thru calculations like the ones below, I decided to simplify, and claim the last column was hours.

There are two very popular decarb methods
    1. 240 F for 40 min = 240 F for 0.67 hours
    2. 250 F for 30 min = 250 F for 0.50 hours
    that allow that final column to be calibrated.

The chart contains neither of these, but they can still be compared.

1. The chart contains 230 F for 1.0 h, and 248 F for 0.51 h.
    Interpolation yields about 45 min @ 240 F, which is 5 min too long.
    2. The chart contains 248 for 0.51 h, which is close enough to 250 F for 1/2 hr.

This result probably makes the chart accurate for most commonly used temps, but the lower temp values might not be so accurate.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. #20 fintwins, Apr 2, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    I I found the article he was referencing, see below. I point this out because, according to that study, the optimal conversion of THCA to THC occurred at 230F for 110 minutes. Using their findings with a different time value attached to how long it takes to decarb (i.e., you calculated 60 minutes while the authors found it took 110 minutes) makes the chart inaccurate. Using their value of 110 minutes at 230F, I got the values in the attached image; as you can see, there is quite the difference between some of the multiplier values and the amount of time it takes. I can't speak to whether or not their findings are correct, but the values that you shared do not reflect the research that they are based on.

Screenshot 2021-04-01 213229.jpg

Perrotin-Brunel, H., Buijs, W., Van Spronsen, J., Van Roosmalen, M. J., Peters, C. J., Verpoorte, R., & Witkamp, G. J. (2011). Decarboxylation of Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol: Kinetics and molecular modeling. Journal of Molecular Structure, 987(1-3), 67-73.

(PDF) Decarboxylation of Δ 9-tetrahydrocannabinol: Kinetics and molecular modeling