Propagation lighting help

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by hydrio, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Hi guys,
    Im an old school grower, I have decided to get back into it, I have my grow room set up for 2 to 3 plants (400w HPS)

Now I want to set up a propagation area, I only want to start about 7 or 8 plants and pick the best 3 for my main grow.
    What light would be the best suited? I have heard flouro's are good for this, but with the carbon tax :devious: in Australia I need to be consious of power usage, so I was thinking LED. ARe LED's good for propagation? what sould I look for?

Thanks in advance for any help
    cheers :smoke:

2. The best is your old junky T8, floros, or shop lights get 2 sets, 4 tubes (48") hang them from chains, leave on for 24 hours, for 2 weeks, or continue to veg for 8 weeks, in a pinch you may consider 4 cfl's but will be slow.

LED's are good for a small, grow but the tech is not with us yet, neither is the cost

peace
    "V"

3. #3 Mr.GreenJeans, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2012
    Realistically, you only need about 5 to 25 watts for 4 - 20 plants cloning. for veg, 50w per square foot.

MH is the witch tits, for veg
    t5's are awesome
    t8's just dont cut it.

LED's i hear are great, go with a blue spectrum

anything with or around 6400k spectrum wise will give you the best results.

4. Get a couple CFL lights they are cheap and cheap to run, for only a handfull of plants you dont need 4 foot t8 lights