Propagation dome questions, and some pix of first grow!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by kerromatic, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Hi again guys, once again I find myself posting in the newbie section xD. (We've all gotta start somewhere) hehe anyways, I have successfully germ'd seeds and went to plant them in a grow cube to put into a propagation tray/dome. Now I had just purchased a prop dome from my local hydro store and I honestly thought they were suppose to fit....for the most part REALLY snug, so no moisture gets let out. Well....when I got home I tested the prop dome and trays out and the dome barley fits on the tray, so no moisture is being locked in. I called my hydro store again..(lol I love bugging them!) and my guy said that its ok. some times I question them because marijuana cultivation isnt legal but posession is somewhat "tolerated" and I know he cannot give me "presice" info about MJ cultivation but somtimes...MAN i think he's not pointing me in the right directions....hence me coming to GC! :smoking: so thats where I stand, just looking for some help on this one guys thanks again for all your replies and views on this post.

ps...and now for the pictures!!!

[​IMG]
    (you cant see it but im running SLS Super Sun Reflector w/ 250w MH on a Lumatek ballast)

[​IMG]
    (basically trying to show how the dome fits on the tray...NOT snugly :()

[​IMG]
    (whats that?!?! two seedlings sprouted!! out of the 5-10 that I germed haha, no worries guys all bag seeds...but at least their all chronic bag seeds, no shwags here m8's)

[​IMG]
    (nutes recommended to me (by hydro store guys) for veg growth. I have to go get the rest for flowering and other stuff like Mycor fungi's and stuff later when i have more money xD)

and thats about it...I also have a pic of the vents on top but I did not include that because I think thats overkill on the pics... xD either way I was told once the plants start to develop then open thoes vents on top...I opened them once I saw thoes sprouts is that ok or should I close them until the sprouts develop further?

2. Dome off when sprouted.
    Dome is for cuttings and seeds only.

3. don't worry about it not fitting, none of mine ever have, it will hold enough moisture in.

and learning about nutrients here online is a good idea. ferts are a hydro shops real bread and butter.. so the idea is to get you hook on as many chems as possible.... you only need one line really

search Lucas Formula, you already have the grow part of the formula and adding the bloom will be less then 20 bucks total, 35$ if you include some CalMag.

the Flora Nova series from GH will do it all IMHO.. the Big Bloom is a good stuff too, I use a lot of it .. but I use it in everything.

4. sweet! thanks for the quick replys again guys. So now that the seeds have sprouted its cool to take the dome off? do I still mist occasionally? also should I wait to xfer to growing medium or what? Im thinking I was gunna go with FoxFarms "Light Warrior" soil

5. #5 CL4P-TP, Jul 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2010
    let em get some roots growing out of the bottom of those plugs, before Xplanting.

never used light warrior ( Happy Frog, and Ocean Forest) ..but if it is FF..you are safe IMHO

did the hydro guy know you were growing in soil when he sold you the nutes? cause you only have one bottle of nutes for soil ( the Big Bloom)..the rest are hydro nutes.

~EDIT/ADD ON~
    I also wouldn't mist em too much.. water and lights can burn your plants. besides you want em getting as much life and water as possible from those roots so they grow deep and strong.

wharf

6. #6 kerromatic, Jul 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2010
    hmm, he didnt tell me that...I asked him what would be some good nutes to start out with just so I can get vegging going, so I cannot use thoes other nutes for my soil?

Dangit I read that kinda late after I got the soil and xferred to soil. I hope that wasnt too bad of a thing. x( btw Im gunna include some pictures of the sprout...to me she's not looking too well but it could be just because she's like a day or 2 old. sorry if the pics are kinda big

[​IMG]
    the pot that its in*
    [​IMG]
    different angle.
    [​IMG]

thanx again for all your help guys....its crazy but 5 years ago I could just throw a seed in the ground come back 2 months later and see a sick plant about to bud...mind you I would never do anything its just where I live the dirt is nice n fertile hehe but now that im actually "trying" I feel like im getting it all wrong, but its cool because I have the patience of a :smoking:

7. its not really a bad thing ... you will just have to be a bit more mind full not to over water.

next time you drop seeds, try one in the plugs and one in a soil filled Dixie/keg cup.. and see which one does better ;). I have been trying out the Peat Pots instead of the Dixie cups..and am about to go back to dixie cups.

and yeah as far as I can tell..I have not heard of anyone using GH flora Nova for dirt farming..but do a quick google to see if any one has, and what their outcome was, to be sure.

but look at it this way .. when/if you decide to go hydro, your all set till bud cycle.

Wharf

8. one other thing .. you probably have 10-20 days before needing to fertilize... sprouts don't need much besides water and light, and are easy to nute burn.

9. thank you Wharfrat and jooky for your help guys +rep