Progress check!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Genics, Sep 11, 2018.

1. View attachment 2500751 View attachment 2500752 Hi guys,

Just wondered if I could get some experienced hands to look at my plant, first time grower!

Pics are one week apart, I notice a slightly discolouring at the base of the new leaves.

It is an Afghan auto flowering strain, growing in the Australian desert. Currently experiencing 30c days and 5c nights, although within a few weeks the night temps will be up to 15 and days 35. Chose this strain to withstand these temps, is it doing ok?

Thanks guys!

2. where's da pics.... *Rubbing the almighty pic goddess lamp*

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. No pics ... Lol. Otherwise they Sound like they are doing great!!! Lol Can't wait to see em...

4. they look fine for their age. I do not see any discoloration.

5. if they look a few shades lighter at the base of the leaf where they meet the stem this is very likely caused by the plant growing faster than it can produce chlorophyll which is normal.

6. see not only have you the auzzie sun but you also have the death valley effect here

by not filling the pot to the rim

hence the little bugger is getting really toasted in that saw dust you call soil

it needs organic matter and even some moss to hold water long enough for the roots to sip it up

the worst here is these clay pots ok for your moms cacti

but for weed they suck up the water leaving the soil? toxic

better use a 15 liter black round pot with some good/great organic mix

go spend 5 min talking to a local tomatoe grower

good luck

• Like Like x 1
  7. The soil is premium plus potting mix with added vermiculite to hold water.

And didn’t use a black plastic pot due to the fact things that are black and plastic generally absorb an incredible amount of heat where as clay not so much

Once it has grown above the pot will that fix the Death Valley effect?

I water it with cold water from the fridge

8. 1: use the black pot and cover when hot with a light colored sack or soil bag

2: best to plant the auto in a 4 inch pot or rapid rooter then after 3 weeks to a 15 litre pot

avoid using cold water but use water thats be left out over night

so is the same temp as the air or shock the roots

much to read up here

good luck

9. People grow in SoCal 100+F temps in black pots all day long. If you are genuinely worried about root temp spray paint the outside of the pots white before you plant in them.

10. Water that cold will make your plants do weird things. The plant will think it's cold and shut down the leaves which will likely cause much worse issues than your outdoor temps will.

11. Ok thanks, so is it worth moving to another pot?

I had read on various sites that cold water should be used to prevent the roots being burned by the desert sun

12. Also water left out overnight is pretty cold anyway

13. #14 Skip I am, Sep 11, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    Cooler water in the 60f range I've heard is acceptable but you are playing with fire. If the plant is hot and then you slam colder water to it that will result in shock. You got to think like a plant does. It uses temp to know when it needs to protect itself and how to protect itself for the given condition. You have the roots saying it's cold as an ice fishers crack and the leaves are saying we need water. Those 2 conditions are drastic opposites from each other which is where the risk of shock comes from that @vostok mentioned earlier. As for another pot yes but go bigger than what you have. And since the seedling is small you should have no problem replacing the bulk of that not so good soil. Also some form of mulch wouldn't be a bad idea to help keep the top of the soil protected from the sun and will also help with better moisture retention.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Cool thanks for the info, why a smaller pot may I ask? Should I move it straight away?

15. Well I repoted it using organic soil into a smaller container, and now I have just read multiple articles that you shouldn’t transplant autoflowering strains and plant them in their final container. Thanks for the great advice! Now I will have to transplant it a second time into a bigger container :mad2:

16. with care it ain't an autoflower until the leaves are developed

about another 2 weeks

is a seedling now

keep in mind your plant was never gonna be a seedling had you continued your juvenile efforts

but hey their are other websites you should consider if you ain't happy here

www.growweedeasy.com is one

yeah 18yo here only please

17. Well aren’t you arrogant and condescending, I’m sure your first efforts were just as juvenile as you put it.

18. Just find a good book or search internet for answers. Don’t take advice from ppl unless you know u can trust them. I start my autos in same pot as they finish. They can be finicky. Vostok is usually a good person to listen to. The others I don’t know. Hard learned lesson. Be careful who u take advice from

Eagleyedye

19. The smaller pot was a typo.