Programs not working right after playing games.

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by overheatedmud, Dec 27, 2012.

1. #1 overheatedmud, Dec 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2012
    I'm hoping somebody here knows how to fix this problem. I got a new monitor yesterday and I love it, but if I play a game and ***+tab out of it some other programs don't work correctly. Like in chrome and firefox I can't open new tabs with the button and can't click on other open tabs. Or if I have a program on the left half of my screen I can't move it or close it, I have to right click the taskbar to close it. To get everything working again I have to restart my computer. Does anybody know what could be causing this and if so how to fix it? My new monitor is a Hanns-G HL269.

2. hmm

What game have you been playing? Some of the games I play are ancient and as result don't close themselves down properly after I exit, requiring me to end there process in the task manager.

3. That is incredibly strange... Like he said, check that the games' processes are closed...

Is your gpu driver up to date?

4. It was happening a lot when I quit Fallout: New Vegas, but it's not doing it anymore. I think it had something to do with the monitor drivers but I'm not sure. Thanks for the help though.

5. It's not just a generic pnp monitor?

6. #6 overheatedmud, Dec 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2012
    No it's not, it shows the model name (HL269DPB) but I don't think that makes a difference because my tv shows up as SHARP LCD. My previous monitor which is also a Hanns-G showed up as a generic pnp monitor though.

Also it's happening again also but I found the exact cause now. When I ***+tab out of a game to do something the problem starts. So the good news is I found the cause but I still have no idea what to do to fix it.

7. I have no clue. Maybe toms hardware could help if no one here can.

8. ugh.... dude

I very much doubt that the monitor has anything to do with the description of the problem. You could test this by re-attaching your old monitor.

Iv'e played New Vegas on PC & I have the same issue. I cannot *** tab out of the game to do other stuff without minimizing all windows. Do you even know how to install a New Vegas Mod?

A full description of what's under the bonnet might help.

9. I'm just going to reinstall windows because that seems like the most probable cause here. Also I think my gpu may have failed so I would like to be sure of that.

10. No offence, but re-installing Windows isn't just an automatic "fix" for everything. And if your GPU failed it wouldn't run at all. Quite unfounded thing to say...

You say it happens when you exit a game. Is it ONLY after exiting Fallout? Clearly the software is the issue then.