Professors required reading - bin laden a freedom fighter

Discussion in 'Politics' started by forty winks, Feb 2, 2014.

Correct you are. That is the problem with the philosophy of the "enemy of my enemy is my friend."
     That is why we should have instead applied the Logic of our Founding Fathers...."friendly commerce with all Nations, sticky alliances with none". When it comes to cultural differences and regional conflict it is best to allow them to hash it out. And be DRAWN into the conflict by osmosis, Not simply step into the fray when we have no clear understanding of the conflict except what we perceive with our western philosophy and religiosity. The friend we claim today is always our foe tomorrow. And while we have spent the last ten years mired in an unpopular and un-winnable war confined inside the borders of countries that we are paying to accept our presence, our enemy is not confined to those same borders, and our past "enemies" have all become friends and have enjoyed economic freedom and gains, while ours becomes stale as trade is limited to a dwindling number of "friendly" Nations. It is self imposed economic sanctions at it's best. One thing we as the People know....Our Government knows shit about customer service....and they are treating our customers like shit on a global scale. And those "Customers" will show their loyalty to the Nations that treat them best.

2. #42 meatballz, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2014

Not at all. I graduated high school at 17. I didn't want to go to college. No chance of a job that actually would get me anywhere. I got food and a place to sleep along with money to save. Best times of my life.

Well, by the very definition people like Timothy McVeigh would be a freedom fighter. The term "freedom fighter" really has no meaning because anyone who fights against what they see as an oppressive government is considered a freedom fighter.

I agree with you about politicians. Not a fan of politics at all. However, not sure what you mean about presidents killing people.. the WOT was passed by Congress and we elected them. So if we're going by proxy, then the people who voted them into office are also "killers".

War has been around since the beginning of time. It's not going anywhere. There will never be world peace. So no matter your belief on the matter, when war does happen.. don't you want to be the one that dominates?

My point was that freedom fighter is a term with no set parameters.  It is like the term "hero" which is based entirely upon the opinion of the person using the term.  One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter.  Your comments were accurate about Bin Laden, Islam, etc.. but ignored the discussion at hand that was dealing with the viewpoint that Bin Laden is a freedom fighter.

Except the us government right? They never lie or twist the truth and since you were in the army or something you know better than everyone else on this board because the USA government gave you the truth, right?

5. #45 Nerd139, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2014
    Is Batman a hero or a vigilante?

Is Bin Laden a freedom fighter or terrorist?

Bin Laden was both. It all depends on how you perceive the things he was fighting for. Doiesnt mean you cant say "Yeah Bin Laden was a freedom fighter but I have to side with my own people on this one" and then kill Bin Laden. Just because you think of him as a freedom fighter doesnt mean you cant hate him for what he did. You understand his motives but doesnt mean you cant hate him. 

It would be worth to ask yourself though whether it is right for you to hate him or fight him based on what he did. Yeah he killed Americans but look at things from his point of view.

You can still side with America but that doesnt mean you have to think of him as a terrorist to fight against him.

6. Their are positives and negatives in everything.

When did I ever imply that? I spoke based on my personal experience. Don't read into something that isn't there. I am not a fan of the government and I despise 99% of politicians. I know most of what the .gov says is BS.

8. seemed like you were supporting the wars earlier because "you haven't experienced these people"

Never said that I didn't nor was that the topic or question. We weren't at war when those fucktards slammed planes into buildings and killed thousands of US citizens. Of course, war turned into a giant clusterfuck simply because we became too involved. We should have just leveled the countries that harbored the terrorists and moved on.

10. If you are looking for someone to point a finger at for 9/11 look directly at the government.

lol, ok. Don't drop your tin foil hat

12. Well considering he was a human being with a family and loved ones I don't see the point you're trying to make.

Ahh yes, leveling countries is such a brilliant idea. I'm sure you would be supportive of that same idea when people retaliate against us for bombing their wedding parties and schools. As a citizen not involved in the war, I look forward to that well deserved bomb that will come into my house indiscriminately.

Washington has been at war with the Middle East since long before 9/11. History matters.

Also, several convicted terrorists, in their statement to the court upon conviction (during the '90s, long before 9/11) said that their motivation was US interference in their homelands.

If memory serves, our own CIA labeled 9/11 as "blowback."

This should not be difficult to understand.

You naively think that society (and the world as a whole) can exist without war. It's not possible. As far as history records, there has always been war. Nothing will ever change that. Of course, you will think otherwise... perhaps the answer to ending war is at the end of the rainbow in a pot of gold.

By the way, "leveling the country" is not to be taken literally as Afghanistan is incredibly large and leveling it would be impossible.

16. You are the naive one here my friend.

Tell me what countries the US was in that we weren't invited before 9/11?

Correct, terrorists attack the US because they believe we are spreading our ideology. Of course, you can oppose it but it doesn't mean that we kill people because they don't share our beliefs.

You should also not the terror attacks that happen in other nations as well... Spain, England, Philipines, etc... that's our fault too?

So you are saying war just started when the US was formed?

19. Where did I say that?

Almost every country in the ME. You should bid-ladens letter to America.

If by ideology you mean imperialism. The US doesnt kill people who dont share their beliefs? Do you know what Vietnam was? 

I dont know what Spain or England have to do with this, except England has also been doing a lot of shady things in the ME with the USA.