Prod's Journal - First Grow - New Babies

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Prodigus, Aug 2, 2011.

1. they look awesome! subscribed. :D

2. Day 18

Well, I think the mystery to the funky looking plants is solved.. maybe. That or I just sentenced them to death. lol

Wanted to get them transplanted into bigger pots but I didn't do a lot of reading on the subject, just followed some lady on youtube's video. Thing is when I went to transplant them and I took them out of the pot it looked like I'd taken out a cotton plant. They were definitely root bound. That's amazing the number of roots! Wow!!

Anyway, I had taken the new pots and filled them with my soil which is 2 parts Ocean Forest to 1 part Light Warrior and then sat the pots in a bucket of water with some Grow Big mixed in (3 tsp in 2.5 gallons of water so fairly light) until the soil got completely soaked. I then removed some of the wet soil, transplanted them out of their old pots and into the new and then covered them the rest of the way with the new soil.

We'll see what happens. This is how they looked 12 hours later... One of the Dreams is a lot stretchier (is that even a word? lol) than the other but they're still alive....so far haha

Do they recover from being root bound once you transplant??

Thanks for looking. Any comments are welcome!

Attached Files:

3. It's either a bit to hot in there or your over watering, if you see any yellowing/discoloration then it's over watering.

Looking alright though :)

4. Day 26

I think they're liking their new pots and their new home. I still have a couple of leaves that have a spot on them but I'm thinking they are looking ok,,,

The one TD is about 13" tall now while the others are just under a foot. I'm ordering some more pots that are a little bigger than these after which I'm "thinking" I should start topping them and maybe a little LST? Is it too soon for that or should I even try it on my first grow?? If I were to top them, do I just cut it off right where I have the red line on the last picture (the close-up)?

Let me know what you think. Any advice is welcome!

Thanks!

Attached Files:

5. Looking great, yeh you can top them i would also LSD when are you planning to start flowering them ?

6. Was hoping for something to smoke by new years which would mean within a couple of weeks but I'm not sure how big they need to be first. What do I allow for drying/curing before smoking any at all? 3-4 weeks? I topped them all tonight before I watered and trimmed off a few leaves at the very bottom. I took that real tall one and tied it down with a slip knot. I'll see what happens. I think I may have a magnesium or manganese deficiency. I'll have to look them up and see what you do about that.

Thanks!!

7. Drying if done correctly will take around 6 to 11 days, curing is usually done for a month, check the harvesting section there are a few good sticky's in there.

8. That would mean I would need to move into flower in like 2 weeks and IF they only needed 12 weeks of flowering time and could get away with 3 weeks of curing then it would be a very happy New Year. I'll just wait and see I guess. I don't want to rush it. I'm planning on moving into flower when they grow to half the max height of the cabinet and they still have a ways to go before they hit that mark.

They are now starting to give off a little odor. It's not overly loud or abundant quite yet but I really need to get the damn doors designed and built so I can throw the filter into the mix when needed. My wife told me the smell made her think of a cross between a skunk and a eucalyptus leaf. That sound about right? lol

Anyway, here's the new school pics...

Attached Files:

9. There looking great, a very nice color and very healthy. And i'm liking your grow psace looks pretty cool.

10. So, time for an update.. All 4 are still alive and kicking. The Tangerine Dream may have been a little ambitious for a first grow but I may still pull it off although I think my yield is going to suck. Unfortunate since I was mostly looking forward to that dominant sativa. Oh well, I "think" the purple moraccan has quite a bit of sativa in it as well.

TD seems to be VERY sensitive to even light nutes. Went through a period where all my plants had some seriously jacked up leaves. I actually still have leaves that will get all crsipy on me and dry up. Some other small leaves will just sort of just fall off right at the stalk like they're very weakly attached. Somehow this doesn't affect all the leaves but just some. Weird.

Been about 2.5 weeks now into flowering. I actually ran out of room in the 3x4x6 closet and I've had to just move them out into a corner of the room. Not ideal but the only other option was to abort 1 and I just couldn't get myself to do that. haha

Here's their current state...

#1 Purple Morac
    #2 Yumbolt 47
    #3 Tangerine Dream (1)
    #4 Tangerine Dream (2)

Yes, that's a little cfl I rigged up to light up some shadowy spots I have due to moving out of my closet. Did that and also brought my T5's back out into the mix just hung next to the 400w HPS. Obviously the TD is lagging behind the others but it does have a longer expected flowering time than those so I'm not panicking just yet. TD #1 just started showing some signs of actually doing something.

Attached Files:

11. Latest pics. Day 26 of flower. Just included the Yumbolt and the Purple Maroc. The TD is going but lagging behind as expected...

Attached Files: