PROBLEMS with the Pax by Ploom

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by moneycheeba, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Thanks for the link, I read some of that thread before posting here. The packaging is identical to my friends, included all the extras (ploom cleaning kit, nice user manual etc. The units look almost identical with a few exceptions..

-mine has a Phillips head screw in the back, friends pax has a mini wrench screw like on a bike
    -under the mouthpiece in the top opening there is a faint marking of a few letters, mine has no writing there

A few notes.. Mouthpieces are interchangeable between mine and my friends, same with the charging doc. Ploom logo is in the right place on the back. Given the high degree of similarity and the fact that I was able to go through a few bowls before it completely crapped out I'm thinking it's more likely a lemon than a fake.. Make sense?

2. Couple things worth mentioning.. The eBay seller is from Colorado and sells a lot of vape goods.The suspicious stuff started after buying, when the eBay listing was deleted, which prevented me from leaving feedback.

3. Pretty much positive this piece of shit is what I got for $210. I thought that was the going rate for older inventory, not the price point for fraudulent shit.

Doing all I can to get this guy flagged. Not sure if eBay will care but I can prove the fraud with Ploom's video.

http://www.ploom.com/news/fake-Pax-comparison/

Be-effing-ware. I'm amazed at how deeply fraud has penetrated the pax market. 

http://www.ploom.com/news/counterfeit/

4. thats what she said

I know it's crazy how close the fakes are. I have had the unfortunate experience of purchasing one myself. They are pretty much identical. The major different is that the Chinese manufacturer sourced awful batteries for their knock off. I'm talking absolute garbage batteries. Mine worked half a dozen times and then was completely dead. I've heard that there is actually a way to replace the battery and I plan on giving it a shot. I'll make a post when I do. Good luck. 

6. Professional pax user here... I started popping the screen out after every couple uses. It has cut my cleaning of the entire unit down by half at least

Instead of letting residue build and solidify, I just pop out the screen while it's still a little warm.. Wipe it off and put It back with no issues... Keeps up some good air flow for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. I'm with this guy! What the hell are you doing to your pax to make a bowl last 1-3 days?

I go from green to yellow and get around ten decent hits after stirring the oven every 5 hits. But that is just one session. I go through at least four ovens a day and I seriously don't smoke that much!

Tell me your secrets! Teach me your ways!

KCCO

8. Anyone have any experience with the ebay/ chinese/ fake pax? 

9. Hi, my Original Pax has two years of hard use and is starting to fade. I have experienced all the problems that others have such as the temp button sticking and not coming out but have some other quirks I'd like to share to see if others have experienced similar problems.

You can check the battery charge by shaking the unit and it'll display the appropriate light. This doesn't happen to mine anymore

When I get the green light telling me that it's ok to start inhaling, the light'll remain green for 5-6 seconds and them turn blue and go into low power mode. I can depress the mouthpiece and turn it off and then on again and it will heat back up to green again but each time it'll quickly return to low power blue light.

After 2 years I got my money's worth out of the beast so I have no complaints. Based upon my experience, the maintenance requirements and the quirks I would not buy another Pax. It's discreet but the new generation of portables offer great alternatives.

I have an Arizer Solo and while not as stealthy as the Pax it delivers superior vapor and little if any maintenance.

Any advice or info you can share on the Pax problems I have would be appreciated.  Thanks!

[SIZE=10pt]"Just pickin' and grinnin' while my mind is out sinnin'"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=13pt]1Guitarguy[/SIZE] 

10. I've also had the same problems. I bought mine from a headshop and recently mine started with the green light for a few seconds then straight to blue. And yesterday it stopped charging. I'm thinking it's the battery. Contacted pax and hopefully they can help me out. But it looks like the battery may just be the problem.

I have also considered the Arizer solo, I love that it's stealthy so I can take it to concerts but I don't need stealth at home.

KCCO

11. Thanks for the feedback. I got mine used so there's no warranty. It still works but I put it away and favor the Arizer Solo and the Arizer Extreme Q.

12. I understand. I love my extreme q which is why I considered the solo.

Well if you end up not using it again and want a bit of extra cash I'll take it off your hands. Mine isn't turning on so I'm pretty bummed

KCCO

13. I doubt that I will use the Pax again. I have so many vaporizers that it hardly matters. I would sell the Pax for $50

14. I totally understand, I just love having a pax because nobody knows what the hell it is! Pull it out of my pocket and set it on a table without any worries!

KCCO

15. my temperature button was stuck also. I applied a fairly liberal amount of pax lubricant to the button and periodically brushed the lubricant around the button. after I brushed it on I would reapply the mouthpiece and then I let the whole unit sit upright for a day so that gravity might help the lubricant seep around the button. Yes, it worked, button is free and all 3 temperatures are working again. Also, I noticed the pic of the really dirty screen. In order to get the screen out you will probably have to heat the unit up first. It might be stuck in place with resin . I have never had the mouthpiece stuck in place, but my first attemt at freeing it would be to heat all around the casing in the area outside the mouthpiece. Again, when the resin is warmed up pieces seem to unstick. I clean my unit after every use.

16. #96 bullkelp, Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2015
    I also like the solo better then the pax.The vapor quality I find is about the same. The solo doesnt have the draw resistance the pax does. It doesnt seem to be as problematic as the pax, and the biggest thing it dont like about the pax is trying to change the battery yourself.The solo ,although it is not really easy to replace the battery, it is a lots easier and do able, the pax is not that easy for the layman to replace. From what I read the pax heats up on 5 sides. Im guessing its the lid that does not heat up as much as the other 5 sides. I notice that if you dont put at least half a load in the pax, it doesnt vape that great. I think a bowl that totally heats up has the advantage for people that dont want to vape a full bowl and theres lots of vapes around where the whole bowl heats up evenly. Arizer has come out with the new arizer air and it makes battery changing really simple, and batteries very inexpensive to replace. Almost anyone can do it. The batteries are around $20, so you can get 2-3 batteries and vape for quite a long time.It is also smaller then the solo, so easier to carry, but still uses the same heating bowl. It also has a slick casing to keep it from getting scratched. The only problem I had with the solo was the diameter of the glass tube was too big and the vapor was hitting too hard for me. I never ever want to cough or have any throat irritation when vaping. I made a plastic tip similar to a plastic cigar tip, to reduce the hole size and then I fit it on the end of the glass tube. But the new arizer air has a tappered tip on the end of the tube that eliminates this problem. The tubes for the arizer are interchangeable with the solo, so I might just get a tube from the air model. Long story short, I want a user friendly vaporizer and also , I dont ever want to ship it back to the mafufacturer for anything, especially an overpriced battery. The davinci I have will never be in use again, I think when I called it was about $125 for them to replace the battery.Davinci, $125, plus ship it to them, or Arizer air, $20, easy fix , at home, hmmmm

17.  I have also had some of the above mentioned problems with my pax. For a while when I clicked the mouth piece into place it would turn whatever color the heat setting was on and it wouldn't work but when I removed the mouth piece completely the light turned purple and eventually green and it heated up. It was like the temperature setting was reversed with the actual heating up of the vape. I tried cleaning it and eventually it started working again but now it still doesn't produce a lot of vapor on the hits and it turns purple a lot and has to heat up a lot while using it. Wondering what I should do. 

18. Yeh brother, I hear you. I finally got so tired of the problems I ended up trading the Pax to some guy who said he could fix it for some buds. My Solo was the best portable I had to date until it started giving me problems and in trying to fix it I broke it so bye bye Solo. I tried the Puffit X and that was a joke. What a toy that was.

Enter the Firefly, overpriced but built like a tank. There is a learning curve on this vape but in time I got it to give me decent volume of vapor and it tasted good.

Sometimes I just say, "FUCK IT" and roll a joint .... they seem to work every time![​IMG]

Off topic of portables I would like to state that my Arizer Extreme Q is the best desktop I have used to date. Speaking of obsessive, compulsive: I actually bought one more of the Q's to keep as a spare in case the original goes down. My Vapor Bros comes in a close second but was retired since the Q arrived.

I like the so called benefits of vapes (if they are accurate) but I think that edibles may be the way of the future and easier on my 70 year old lungs. Cheeba chews are good but hard to unwrap. They must use super glue on the wrappers. The Green Hornets however are a pleasure and east to open.  Depending on your tolerance a quarter of one should mellow you out.

Feel free to respond and if I am not dead by then I will write back[​IMG]

19. I've had the sticking power button issue. I used to have to press the button for a few minutes, one heck of a forearm workout. I realized eventually that I could run the tip under super hot water for about 30 seconds. Angle down, so only water touches the aluminim. That warms it up enough so I only have to press the power button down a few times before it turns on. By far the easiest method to bandaid the issue.