Problems with the neighbors

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by mppaintball, Jan 30, 2013.

1. I'm a college student and live across the street from school in a house full of college roommates. Well our house is a duplex type of thing. On our side of the house we have 5 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. On the other side is a couple in their late 20's who share one bedroom. Well the house shares the washer and dryer (on our side of the house) so they have a door that connects to our house for them to use strictly to wash clothes. The washer and dryer are right next the the door we share. This didn't seem like that big of a deal when we moved in but it has taken some bad turns lately.

We also share the driveway so they would come into our house and go upstairs or downstairs to knock on ours doors to ask us to move our cars if we are blocking them in. They shouldn't be doing that, they could just knock on our front door to ask us, not walk freely in our house. They have also come downstairs a few times to ask us to quite down when we have some friends over.

They left a note back in December asking us not to smoke weed in the house or to do it in a way that doesn't let them smell it. ( I guess when we would smoke downstairs the smell would drift under the door that connects our house. Well lately I have only smoked in my room which is far enough from the door that they will never smell it. I wanted to be respectful to them.

Well last night around midnight I guess the neighbors were kinda stomping around or something so one of my roommates banged on the ceiling, basically asking them to quiet down. The neighbors come into our house, downstairs, and bang on my other roommates room who they though banged on the ceiling. He comes out of his room wonder what the neighbors are doing here at midnight. They get in an argument and the neighbors immediately email the landlord and tell her we have a cat and smoke weed in the house.

Now we get to call the landlord and explain to her everything and get yelled at basically. Hope that's all it is and not worst. Any advise fellow blades?

2. Even though its not technically your property I would first ask the landlord if you can add a new lock to your doors that the neighbors have access to. I feel like it would be pretty easy too convince you landlord you mean no harm if you explain how your neighbors freely invade your privacy. I would assume the landlord put something about that in the contract. As for the cat just keep it at a friends if your worried about your landlord visiting and they can't prove you smoke bud unless they test you.. I'd say your more than likely going to be safe.

3. I am a medical marijuana patient and I live in Washington state where marijuana is now legal but the landlord is not happy about it being smoked in the house. We have to call her back today about eveeything

4. #4 aPersonUponaHill, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
    Oh nice that you live in WA because most other states this would be grounds to kick you out. Well she can be as pissy as she wants it is legal so it does not matter unless in some agreement you agreed there would be no smoking inside. The pet thing seems like a bit of an issue. But yea tell your landlord that he/she's renters are illegally entering your home.

Edit: If things are ever going to calm down between you and the neighbors then all of you need to learn how to be mutally respectful when it comes to noise. Remember how it feels to be on the shit end, it makes it easier to sympathize and realize when the noise you are making is rude and disrespectful.

5. In the lease we signed it said there is no smoking inside the house. I hope we will be alright. Hopefully it helps that it's a house that is always rented out to college students, maybe she will be a little more understanding. We are going to apologize and see where it goes.

6. You should be fine, finding decent renters is hard and she is making money by all of you being there so the odds of her kicking you are are slim.

7. Yeah we are hoping she just lets it be. We are moving out at the beginning of summer and moving to a different house anyways. We just showed the house yesterday to people who may move in at the beginning of summer.

8. Dude how has no one kicked the guys ass?
    You both pay rent so tell him he has some offs to fuck or gtfo!

9. I'm curious to hear the outcome OP! You should definitely post what happens after your talk you have with the landlord! goodluck!

10. #10 Purpleface, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2013
    Deleted

11. To be fair, your neighbors sound alright.

A simple polite request goes a long way.

The fact that they asked you to smoke in a way they cant smell it was fair.

12. We spoke on the phone to the landlord. She says we have to get rid of the cat or pay a large pet fee. There is no more smoking in the house. Any more complaints and we are evicted. Not really something I wanted to hear but it is what it is. We have been perfect tenants to this point. Rent always paid on time and no problems with the landlord. We only have about 3 more months till we move to a different house this summer so we just have to lay low. Just frustrating. We will be documenting everything the neighbors come into our house and get that issue resolved also

13. That is a very fair request. It is a request we took seriously and after their note have only smoked in ways they will absolutely not smell it. They told our landlord after my roommates getting into an argument at midnight last night when the neighbors came into our house and walked downstairs.

14. Well the good thing is that you guys are not kicked out! It's still a crappy situation though considering your on your last warning and you have to get rid of your cat. I hope your neighbors get the bad karma they deserve. There is absolutely no need for them to just openly walk into your rooms like its completely fine.

15. Wait till they walk in your house again then detain them and call the police or at least threaten too. Remember if they illegally enter your place of residence it is considered breaking and entering and you have a right to detain them until the "proper authorities" arrive.

16. Kinda a crappy situation but it is what it is. The landlord says she will be installing a washer and dryer on the neighbors side of the house so they have no reason to come into our house. But even now they are only supposed to come 5 feet into our house to use the washer and dryer, not to walk upstairs an downstairs in our house!!

17. #17 zombieSHROOM, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2013
    Get all the weed, and paraphenilia out of the house.

Have someone watch your cat.

Lie your ass off, make the neighbors seem like delusional assholes who you caught in your house going through your things while no one was home, and boom. Watch as they are moving in a week or two.

Edit: oh, i see you admitted to having a cat. Should have never done that. I'm an asshole though, and have gotten many of my innocent neighbors evicted due to fucking with me lol

18. haha your roommate needs a cork jammed in his mouth. Sucks living with a walking bust, doesnt it?