Problems with Graphics card and replacement.

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by daltonmc, Aug 6, 2013.

1. I am currently running an XTX HD 6870 Black Edition, and having fuck ton of issues.  Things started to go wrong when I noticed performance drops in games after multiple hours of playing. I replaced the Thermal paste and did nothing.
    It has now reached the point where It is idling at 60C, and right away ( I mean FUCKING INSTANTLY) as I open a game or application it shoots to 100C. I have reinstalled the drivers, tried everything. Whatever. Pretty sure that it is toast. If I do get a replacement I will try it out on a New partition with a fresh OS install to be sure it is shit, it will go in the garbage if it fails that.
    Now I want to get away from this scum card, and i'm honestly pretty upset with AMD cards in general at this point, due to my friend had a similiar problem with his 7870. Anything that keeps me from playing counter-strike is SCUM.
    I've been looking at the EVGA 4gb GTX 760 and it seems like a pretty reliable card with a nice increase in performance. at around $300 it is a bit pricey, but not too bad in comparison to others. I am looking for a card mainly and most importantly, that will last me years without issues like i've had with my 6870. You guys think that this is a good card or is there something else I should look at that is cheaper and will meet my expectations?

Cliffs:
    -Graphics card is garbage and makes me hate AMD (Any troubleshooting recommendations are welcome)
    -Looking to upgrade, have my eyes set but want some feedback before purchase.

2. Not familiar with AMD's numerical lineup. But isn't the 6870 an older card? If it's still under warranty, you could try and RMA it.

If you really wanna stay loyal to AMD, and don't mind shelling out a pretty penny for a good card... they've lowered the price on their 7990 from 1.1k to roughly 600-700 bucks.

It's a pretty beast and should dominate most anything that tries to tackle it. But the price can be offputting understandably.
    The 760 is a solid improvement too. It's about 30-35% more efficient than my 670 FTW (a slightly less powerful 680). and about 100 bucks cheaper too.

3. What's the rest of your setup look like? You don't need 4gb of vram with a 760 btw, 2gb is fine.

4. I had a XFX 6870, with minor flickering on a couple games. Not enough to say that it is shit.

I second this.

To the OP, yes it is a good card the gtx760 is basically a rebranded factory overclocked gtx670 but don't go for the 4gb version.. it's a waste of money.. there aren't any games that will use anywhere near that amount of vram (unless you are playing at stupidly high resolutions and even then the graphics card will run out of grunt long before the Vram is an issue)

6. I have the evga 4gb 760. Its amazing. Get it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. Not true, if you mod games like I do you need 4gb.

My 2gb 670 ftw's vram gets full all the time on games like fallout and Skyrim and causes micro stuttering like no other.

Sent from my Samsung GS4 SCH-I545

8. Dont skimp on a 2 gb. Future-proof it and get the four gb.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

I suppose you're right, I never took that into account 

off topic: FUCK YEAH FALLOUT!!!!

10. Haha texture packs are like fucking crack for me... Once I downloaded one, I got as many as I could find for all my games.

Fo3 has so many too...

Sent from my Samsung GS4 SCH-I545

11. ended up getting the evga gtx 760 4gb, fuckin pleased