Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

problems with edible usage

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Monkkeystew, Jun 19, 2012.

1. about a month and a half ago i went to a collective in San Jose and bought a 120mg chocolate bar. I ate half on my way home, and felt the full (and strong) effects an hour after consumption. this was my third and so far only successful attempt with edibles.

two days ago, i went to the same collective, got the same chocolate bar, and ate the same amount on the way home. an hour later, i felt a little buzzed, but nothing really.

does anyone else have this sort of trouble? is there a way to ensure that they will be effective (i.e. not eating beforehand)?

thank you!

2. Did you eat on a full stomach? Logic dictates thats not a good idea if you want it to hit you as hard as possible

3. Actually droid the opposite is true. You should eat edibles on a slightly full stomach. About a 1/3 of what you would eat before the edible then wait for it to kick in to chow down.

4. I know that haha, but a full stomach is NOT good. I can eat an edible on a slightly full stomach and get ripped, but on a full stomach its more of just a body load feeling and thats about it.

I forget why it works that way, but I want to say it has to do with your liver being already activated/ready to go with a slight amount of food being processed.

5. I noticed that I quickly build a tolerance to edibles if they are both made the same exact way

6. thanks guys! i had eaten moderately about an hour beforehand each time, so my stomach wasn't full.

magical wizard, that may be true! next time i go i'll try to change it up

7. #7 freefallto8, Jun 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2012
    Actually I use almost exclusively Canna cream. As a liquid (on an empty stomach), it usually hits within 45 minutes or less, depending on how strong. Also, if you infuse Canna Cream with coffee or caffeinated tea and heat it up to about 160 degrees (2nd cook for the cream) to ensure the Cannabinoids bind with the the caffeine, you kind of have the Excedrin or Vicodin effect of it getting into your system sooner. I also find the liquid lasts longer than the butter based edibles. I have a nonprofit company, Canna Manna, in WA state. I make my meds for myself and for others in the collective.

A note about Canna Cream Potency: They can sometimes have an unpleasant bite when they are really strong. Using Nutmeg is a really great way to balance that affect, so it is just a hint of the Canna flavor and it has a somewhat nutty flavor. Vanilla, coco nut and honey are others. I make mine strong, but because I use high fat creams, I dilute down with flavored creamers or low fat milk to the appropriate dose.

I use it with coffee, tea (especially Chai Tea), in smoothies and shakes, puddings/pies and anything that calls for milk. I also make a Soy version for those who are lactose intolerant and seasonal items like ice cream and popsicle's.

8. never heard about thc being able to bond with cafeine, got any sources to back that up?

9. [quote name='"Jezn"']never heard about thc being able to bond with cafeine, got any sources to back that up?[/quote]

As i am wondering the same....

I never put anything down if uninformed on the subject, but caffeine being a medium to infuse cannabinoids into is something i have never heard of. Nor does it make any sense to me at all. I may be wrong here, but in my many different sources for info i have yet to hear of this.

Also if you're using creams as your extraction/infusion solution, and saying it is better, that discredits any info you have given me ha. while heavy creams may be high in fat, the majority of the other ingredients in that cream are water based. Leaving you with a very high water content which is what youd like to stay away from when making edibles.

But hey if caffeine will provide a way to deliver cannabinoids to the body through the digestive tract, thats a fantastic discovery on your part. Because this is very new info to me

10. #10 freefallto8, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2012
    I apologize for my explanation, binding was not the correct term, however there are significant relationships between caffeine and THC. Of the known biochemical actions of caffeine, inhibition of Adenosine receptors is well known. However, some recent studies have shown that adenosine A(1) receptors modulate cannabinoid signalling in the hippocampus. I am letting my inner geek show here, but check out Home - PubMed - NCBI if you want to review the scientific abstracts on this subject...fascinating!

As far as the effectiveness of cream vs butter/oils, it really depends on how you process the product, how heavy [fatty] the cream and your starting material. You are correct that elimination of water product is key, hence the need for reduction. Also, you usually use more of the cream than you would the butter in a given recipe, so the overall strength is very similar. I am not trying to say butters and oils are less effective, just that because it is in liquid form, it is absorbed quicker. Similar affects can be had when using drinks prepared with BHO, Glycerin or other liquid extraction methods. For example, when we use Canna Cream in solid food preparation, we sometimes include BHO ,Canna~ Butter or oil. glycerin or alcohol extracts as well.

I have no accredited scientific studies to show regarding the Coffee/Creamer cook theory, only the results of my Collective's trials and research. As with many new technologies, the discovery of increased effectiveness when the cream went through a second cook with the coffee, was by accident. When we went to bottle our coffee products, the Canna Coffee (final product) had to be heated to 180 degrees prior to bottling, the result was a significant increase in absorption speed, potency and duration. Unfortunately, we did not realize this change in our product until it had been distributed and several patients became over medicated.

About our collective...As a group of growers, producers and patients, we were all frustrated with the lack of "real" medicinal cannabis. We are so far behind on research and have not developed standardized methods or technologies for the industrialization of cannabis as a medicine.

As a result, we started The Industrialization of Medical Cannabis Project
    (TIOMCP) in April of 2011. There are approximately 60 members who are a part of this project. We have funded the project primarily with donations received by licensed patients and their providers. These donations will increase/decrease depending on the quality of our medicinal products. Participants in the project come from a diverse background and skill set. We have developed a Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) to capture lab results, patient feedback, processing methods and more. This has become a very useful tool for any new product development. Of course the information is proprietary at this time and cannot be shared, but someday we hope to provide information that will help shape and change the industry.

We welcome new members who have knowledge and ideas to share, so if you live in WA state (we are in Pierce Co), are a licensed patient or provider and are interested in working on the Industrialization of Cannabis Project, please let me know.

Remember: Keep an open mind, yet question everything.

11. #11 freefallto8, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2012
    Sorry the last was so long :/

This link has an interesting quick recipe to test the theory. http://cannabiskitchen.org/18/cooking/cannabis-test-kitchen-cooking-with-kief/ Not sure if I mentioned that our product is made with both kief and through emulsion methods., and the kief method is way more potent. We use the immulsified method cream alone for some of our milder recipes, mix for medium and just Kief for strong.

I like the addition of the Kahlua, I will have to give that a try. Why not try some Whipped Vodka too? This will be fun!