Problems with DWC + Nutrients

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Hawaiian Haze, Apr 28, 2011.

1. I've had 3 femmed LSD plants in a DWC system now for about 2 months and they have shown really stunted growth. They are only about the size of my palm each. I added nutrients once, about 1 month into the grow and experienced instant nute burn. Could it be that the nutrients I used were made for flood and drain systems and not meant to be in constant contact with the plant? I'm using technaflora's starter kit. Any reccomendations on how to incorporate the nutes in a contstant water system? Should I maybe only use 1/8 concentration and change the resevoir more often; switching between water only and small nute concentration? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. When you start adding nutes go slow. Add 1/4 strength at one week intervals until the garden is at full strength nutes. Keep a check on your pH and PPM's.

3. Thanks. Does anyone have any custom recipes for use of Technaflora nutes in a DWC? I think I may research each type of nutrient induvidually and create one myself.

4. i reckon your problem is water level, raise it.

seriously you'll be shocked at how much of a difference it makes ;)

5. I was already right at the base of the net pots; the bottom of the pots even got covered in a brown mold after being added nutrients. I just checked on the plants today and they are doing well. They've sprouted vigourous new white roots and starting to grow a lot faster. Although, they can' seem to hold a leaf set without them turning yellow and crumbling off. I'm going to tweak a recipe today from my kit and add it when I change out the resevoir.

6. Personally I have used the GH Flora series and seems to be an easy formula to follow. Use the three flora series and watch the Ph like a hawk. Shucks it even works for the dirt farmers as I have a bunch of girls?? in dirt and some in DWC.
    Hydroponics is a much more intense/ form of growing, not your set it and forget it but the results are faster,and the smoke is way gooder over dirt. It requires a lot of attention till the system is balanced (which is why quality water is necessary) PH is the key to any system. Monitor it on a weekly basis. Make small adjustments and when you have toked hydro your hooked on it.

Cheers...........Al

7. I just changed out the resevoir tonight (both buckets) and added a 1/4 concentration of fox farm grow big hydroponic nutrients. I think what I'm going to do is use that until the plants get big enough to handle the technaflora stuff. I still haven't figured out why the leaves are yellowing though. I think it may have something to do with them recovering from the intense nute burn they experienced. Hopefully the new root growth and added nutes will help speed up their cycle. I really need them to grow into full mothers as I spent $50 on 5 seeds. =O

8. Make sure when you use DWC that you add beneficials because constantly sitting in water is a breeding ground for pathogens and root rot. nothing wrong with DWC I personally love the simplicity but that is something that needs to be dealt with

9. Sounds like starts of root rot (brown slime) add 15ml of 3%hydrogen peroxide, I start my cutting at .5ec, for 2wks, then too 1.0 ec, ph d to 5.8. Add plain water , back as the plant drinks, change rez every 2wks

10. Also use Heisenbergs beneficial bacteria tea. Awesome stuff
    DWC Root Slime Cure aka How to Breed Beneficial Microbes