Problems growing in an Aerogarden

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Hank Alvarez, Sep 29, 2009.

1. I'm sixty eight years old and I've got a couple plants that have pretty much kept me out of severe arthritic pain after all the medical community could do is give me Vicadin and sympathy. I'm sure I've stressed my darlings by pruning too much for too long but the latest problem is that the leaves have what looks like clear glossy spots on top, similar to what you see on pavement when a snail crawls over it in the morning. Since I'm growing inside I don't think there are any snails. I've been using Areogarden's nutrients and I cut down to what was recommended in an online article I read; 1 1/2 small tabs per week and a half teaspoon of Monster Bloom along with 12 hours on a separate light timer. I've been told I should dump the water and start over or plant them outside. I'd hoped to force them to bloom. Putting them outside is a scarey option. Aero doesn't know what I'm growing, or at least I haven't told them, but they suggested a water change or putting my "herbs" outside. What do you think friends? Hank

2. Mmm, lots more info needed really and I'm no aero grower. How long have they been on 12/12 lights? Can we see a pic and have more details of your setup? :)

3. #3 Hank Alvarez, Sep 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2009
    My plants came from seeds I got from some stuff I bought off the street. I have no idea what strain they are, but so far they've worked for me. My plants have been on twelve hour light/dark schedule for about a week now but the spotting on the leaves wasn't as noticeable until just a few days ago. After skimming what you recommended I read in the "sick plants section" I'm wondering if it could be a Ph problem or possibly PPM nutrients? There's a lot of nutrient residue in the little Aerogarden resivoir. I'm going to buy a tester and check that and dump the water unless I get some surprisingly good readings. I do intend to remove the worst of the effected plants and put them into dirt in my little green house to see if that helps while I research the problem further.

As far as photography is concerned, I don't have a camera any more, they stole it in '89 along with my truck. When I had one years ago you could always tell when I took a picture because it was out of focus. I don't wear these tri-foculs for looks.

The Aerogarden has been kind of a God send for me because until now it's been as idiot proof as I could ask for. I can see though that I have a lot to learn to move further into hydroponics which is what I want to do. Thank you for your help and I'll keep you posted on what I'm doing. Thanks again, Hank

4. So sorry Hank, I forgot to subscribe to this thread which is the only reason I didn't reply sooner. :)

I've grown soil and now I grow hydro. Aero frightens me a bit! ;)

In my experience (which is limited) spots do usually indicate pH problem. I've also learnt that whatever your preferred growing medium, pH is very important to monitor. You will need to research the best pH for aero grows, for hydro I like 5.8. Soil, 6.5.

A flush is almost always worth a try, it certainly can't hurt. I suggest you read as much as you can from the sticky topics in these forums. If you want more links just let me know. Definitely get a pH meter. Now you are already in the flowering light cycle so you need to decide whether to reveg them and fix the problem, or to plough on with getting them to produce buds.

Don't worry about the camera, if you can't take pics ya can't we'll try to help as best we can without. :)

I know a coupla aero growers here, if you would like me to direct one at you for advice, let me know and I'll go ask them.

Good luck and keep us posted. :)