Problems and more problems

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by gigimarga, Nov 4, 2011.

1. I must have the worst green thumb on the planet because I can't even keep a weed alive :(

- Initially I watered them a lot until the runoff PH showed 6.5 so I might have inadvertently flushed the soil.
    -Temperatures are 75-81. RH is ~40%

I have two seedlings in Ocean Forest soil.

One of them has stunned growth and exhibits yellow leafs bent up and weird bubbles. (first photo)

- Because of the yellowing curled-up leaf, I flushed it with SledgeHammer flush to remove nutrients.
    - After that, it started showing bubbles under the leaf but the leafs remained curled and no new growth is noticeable.

The second one is larger, it was growing better but now has yellow spots and droopy leafs (second photo)

- I didn't water this one for a week after adjusting PH until it started getting droopy and the soil was dry (moisture meter was reading 2 at the bottom of the pot).
    - After watering, the droopiness remained with actually some more pronounced curling, and it started showing yellow spots with yellowing of the leafs.

What should I do? Add nutes with some water? Let them dry first?

Attached Files:

• 01.jpg
      01.jpg
      File size:
      335.1 KB
      Views:
    • 02.jpg
      02.jpg
      File size:
      648.5 KB
      Views:
  2. That crystal/bubble thing makes me think you should just throw that plant out. I have no idea what that is, but something is very wrong with your grow.

You might want to start over from bag seed with fresh soil. Stop overwatering, the soil needs to dry out and lose some weight between waterings.

3. Looks like they're both dead. I transplanted them but I have no hopes. They look totally yellow and brown now. During the transplant I noticed that the roots were all shriveled up right out of the rapid rooters. Crap soil if you ask me. Why would they make it burn stuff?

4. sorry for the loss. start over and once you germinate, put the seed into a solo cup with holes in the bottom for runoff. water only when the soil is dry and only water until you see the first bit of water coming out of the bottom. good luck next time. you will get better every time. don't put too much light on babies either. one cfl should do until the are in veg. don't add any nutes either.

5. I took apart one of the rapid rooters to see what the root really looked like inside. Looks like it never really developed out of the rapid rooter. It reached the bottom but never branched out.

Does that look like damage from the soil (which was outside of the rapid rooter), over-watering, or too much light?

Attached Files:

6. ...could be a combo of them all. If you start your seed off in a rapid rooter and it sprouts, you shouldn't have any problem planting the RR into FFOF.
    ...FFOF is good for 3/4 weeks before you need to do anything, but water....
    ...you shouldn't have had to flush at this stage, I believe your underlining problem is overwatering.

...what is your water source, and how are you measuring your pH?

7. #7 gigimarga, Nov 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2011
    I was measuring run-off but I think I might have over-watered when doing it because the right PH proved to be a lot more difficult to get to than I thought.

I kept filling up a cup with ph about 4.5 but I had to do that many times to get the run-off under 6.5. The water source was well-filtered water.

The pH measuring was done using a ph up/down kit which has the solution-based tester.

8. when you use seeds, don't use rapid rooters. i lost most of mine that way. use just fox farm. the rapid rooters are for cloning. i have 100% success with them in that department.

9. I just put another one in a rapid rooter which will go in a hydro bucket. I chose to go that route so I can have better control over the nutrients and the amount of air going to the roots as I'm having a hard time keeping those roots alive now with over-watering (and maybe burn!?). Maybe I should have used rockwool instead? The rapid rooters do appear to hold too much moisture.

Will also do another one in soil but this time in a no-burn soil called Rain Forest Blend from Sunshine Advanced. Hopefully it will work better. I'm going to add 30% perlite to that and start it off in well-drained party cups. I think I'll have a hard time not to over-water it but hopefully the perlite will help.

Do you think this sounds like a good idea?

Also for anyone who has hydro experience, how high should the water level be? Should the rapid rooter be submerged at all? Should any of the pebbles be submerged? How much air should I pump out?

10. ...no dude, use the rapid rooters for your seeds, then you can put them in soil or hydro....rapid rooters are all organic and do not retain water as much as rockwool, trust me! If your going to use rockwool, be sure to presoak them in a pH 5.0 solution before using.

...do not plant your seeds straight into forest as thatguythat suggested, you want your seeds planted into something with no nutrients.....like RAPID ROOTERS! .... if you "want" to plant your seeds in soil, go with Light Warrior, or Promix (with dolomite and microrisen)
    ...do a little research of the advise given before you make any moves.

11. light warrior is better for seedlings than ocean forest, but soil is better than rapid rooters. with just the hole there is no room for the seed to curl up and shed it's shell in time to start drawing in light. seedling roots don't seem to push through well enough to find water. the only time i have good ratio of seeds in rapid rooters is when i help them out of the hole. not picking a fight tricome fiend. just saying that his seeds didn't survive in rapid rooters. i don't have good success in rapid rooters with seeds. try just soil. in a small pot or cup. with fox farm. the nutrients provided in fox farm are balanced to promote root growth and vegetative growth. it will work out just fine. peace and good vibes trich fiend... lets smoke a bowl.. :smoking:

12. ...all good. His underlining problem was/is overwatering, you can do that in soil too.

...I've grown seeds in rapid rooters, many upon many of times.... A trick I have found with the rapid rooters ( put an extra RR in there without a seed in it, use it to measure your moister level, water it just as you do your seeds....if you can squeeze one single drop of water out of your "tester rr", then you do not need to water your seeds).....keep them on a seedling heating pad, preferably under a humidity dome.......................

13. #13 gigimarga, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2011
    This new stuff I got is Rain Forest made by a different company which is supposed to be similar to light warrior as in it shouldn't burn and has micorrhizae in it. The hydro shop I went to didn't have light warrior.

The rapid rooters seemed ok until transplant. Here are some pics of the seedling right after transplant. Looking alive still. Afterwards I soaked them in the 10 inch pots trying to get the run-off PH down which probably didn't allow the rapid rooters to drain well.

The weird behavior one of them was exhibiting while her root was probably dying was this:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

14. Quick question on feeding the plant in soil. Will it need any nutrients while in the Dixie cup at any strength? I plan on using big bloom from fox farms so I keep it organic. The fox farms feeding schedule says to use 6 tsp of big bloom 2 times a week with every other watering during the first week. That seems like nuking the plant but I'm not sure as most of my problems so far seem to have been from too much water.