Problem with small plant. Dark green veins, distorted leaves, yellowish outline around leaves?

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by jimoffy1, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Hey guys growing another indoor plant under 100watt cfl light. It’s 3 and a half weeks old, seems to be growing very quickly, but from day one it had problems with leave tips curving down, all leaves are affected including newest growth.

I’ve been growing outdoors in coco for years, never had a problem like this. I’m using a 2 part nutrient, I admit I may of fed this seedling a little to early in its life, but at this stage I’m meant to be feeding at 1 EC, I’ve only giVen it 0.8 max, which was a few days ago. When it was about 2 weeks old I first fed it at a very low 0.3ec.

I know they’re not too close to the lights at all, the temperature is perfect, I have airflow, I’m growing in pure coco, watered when pots are light, I ph feedings to 5.9-6.1. What is this?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Check your runoff ph. It looks like magnesium deficiency and since you’re in coco it makes sense but could also be iron or zinc which could indicate too high of ph, causing lockout. Epsom salts added to nutrients and a foliar spray will fix magnesium deficiency but you have to get the medium ph in the sweet spot

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Yeah man I water at 6ph which is ideal for coco..

4. You water in at 6.0, but what is your runoff ph?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Looks like too high of nitrogen to me. Feed it daily. Weak and often is my motto. It's especially true in coco. No days without feed and you should keep it lite to avoid buildup and burning since you will be feeding daily. Just make sure it's balanced. 1-2-2 NPK ratio is goal usually. Twice as much p&k compared to nitrogen in the total feed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. It does look a little like it may be starting mag deficiency. You could foliar spray some epsom salt. That would be a cheap quick fix to mag deficiency.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mistake. Never let coco dry out - it's not soil - it's hydroponics.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Never completely dried out, been growing in coco for years. It’s something to do with my nutes I’m sure, I’m using a 2 part but it’s so damn hard to get the ec level right when I’m only mixing 500ml at a time. Maybe It’s caused from me ph up and down so many times, it’s very touchy when only mixing a tiny amount ....

• Like Like x 1
  9. I’ve used these nutes before, but only mixed in 20 litre batches. For this small plant, it’s really difficult mixing a tiny amount at a time and getting the levels correct..

10. Figure out how many drops of ph down it takes to make 1 gallon of feed hit 6.0-6.2 range and stick with that many drops each time you feed. I use a syringe that is rinsed between each bottle to dose my pour spouts. I make about 3 gallons a night so 3 batches. 2 gallons for flowering plants and 1 for veg.

Making 20 liters at a time and then letting it sit around it not ideal. Most nutrient lines tell you to add to water directly before feeding and if it does sit in a res it needs to be aerated with an airstone which will cause the ph/ppm to move over time.

Adding ph up and ph down repeatedly to accurately hit a certain magic number isn't the best approach. Unless your methods are perfect you can be quite off and the chemicals in most ph up and down solutions aren't the best most are adding additional nitrogen. I use nectar for the gods ph up and down to have a slightly better sourced solution.

Your water you might want to sit overnight to evap treatment chemicals from it but you don't want nutrients solutions to sit stagnant.

I use rainwater so I don't have to let it sit. I fill up my 1/2 gallon pour spouts in the tub, add 3 drops of ph down to each, rinse the syringe, add 2ml of GH micro, rinse in sink, add 2ml Gh liquid koolbloom, rinse in sink, add 2ml demeters destiny liquid calcium, 2ml, athenas aminas, 2ml hygrozyme, and 2ml flora nectar, then feed.

I can add or remove supplements I can increase the ml's of any of them. Seems pretty easy to make small batch nutrients like that. It takes my about 15-20 minutes to feed a night going slow.

11. Ahhh there we go, ive been growing seriously for 2 years now mate...... and i still wouldnt try to make up a 500ml feed lol.

Thats rediculously hard to do for anyone!

I make it up in multiples of 10L.
    I keep a wee shitty 4w (£10) airpump going into it to keep it all fresh :)
    Means you can use full ml measurements aswell, as apposed to trying to get 0.1ml of this, 0.2ml of that etc.
    It becomes 1ml and 2ml etc.
    Just mind to keep an airstone in the nute batch and youre sweet for a week before it starts turning useless

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  12. Appreciate it. Will research all this now

• Like Like x 1
  13. Runoff ph is useless data (in coco), too much variation, and most of the times is off. A slurry test will tell you the true ph in any media (most). Make sure the ph going in is always the same and youll be alright.
    I would recommend the OP to flush, with 300ppm base nutes, until what goes in, comes out (runoff ppm/ec). When growing in coco, and you see problems.deficiencies, never give it what you think it needs (in this case mag, Foliar is a whole diff story). ALWAYS check runoff ppm/ec first and flush/leach if need be (salt buildup). I believe the OP has a lock out caused by overfeeding and letting coco get dry. Some leaves are clawing (N toxicity) cant believe no one said that. OP flush/leach that coco!

14. Runoff ph is not useless. Check and monitor to stay ahead of deficiency and/or lockout.. It’s not as accurate as a slurry test but close enough. If you water in at 5.8, and your runoff ph is 7.0, you have a problem. Same with watering in at 5.8 and getting 5.0 as a return.

I very rarely if ever have to flush my plants, but I always monitor ph in and out and adjust accordingly. Ppms are less important to me. Higher ppms, feed less often. Lower ppms, feed more often.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Links (hope they work) to ph being inaccurate:
    PH raise in coco/runoff
    look at scmc's post (hes a banned coco expert, been trying to find all his threads and post)
    High run-off PH. How do you fix this?
    Another SCMC post (on last page) this guy is the coco guy I tell you!
    Runoff ph and ppm high

16. I’m just telling you from experience, not something I’ve read. I’ve been growing successfully in coco for awhile and have helped many new guys like yourself with problems and deficiencies, a lot of which were caused by ph problems diagnosed by checking runoff and fixed by flushing with nutrients ph’d a point or two higher or lower than runoff ph until the sweet spot is attained.

This is another huge benefit to growing in an inert medium like coco. As fast as problems can occur, they can be fixed.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Same here bro. Ive only checked ph runoff like 5 times in all my coco grows and ppm/ec runoff and looking at the plant is all I check (which tells me all I need to know). Im going by what almost everyone seems to be saying about ph runoff in coco. Too each his own I guess.