Problem with seedling in coco - Input needed

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by SoulClinic, Feb 7, 2011.

1. how old are they since you put them in the coco? and yeah, start a grow journal! ill look out for it.

2. #22 Beanbag, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
    I agree about the nutes early in the grow cycle. So many people told me "oh no you don't need ANY nutes for 21 days, it's all in the seed!" but that is not my experience.

I don't use plain water at all now, I start out with my early mix even when I drench the cup before I plant the sprouted seed. So what if the seed can't use it, it will be there when it DOES need it. I might try doing half strength early mix in the very first week of seedling/clone but then right to full strength early mix.

Rhizo, rhizo, rhizo.

One thing I'm really looking at in my switch from Canna over to something cheaper is using lime or epsom salts with my coco. More on that as I experiment.

3. [quote name='Beanbag']I agree about the nutes early in the grow cycle. So many people told me "oh no you don't need ANY nutes for 21 days, it's all in the seed!" but that is not my experience.QUOTE]

yea thats the problem with this site.you have to "weed" through all the crappy info and just dive in and start growing and experimenting.coco a little tricky to get nutes dialed in but after you have a successful veg and flower it becomes second nature and easy.with my experience with the mj plant it uptakes so much nutrients because it produces huge "flowers" so even in soil the babies tear up the nutes that are in the soil in the first week or so and in soil i starting feeding at 1/4 to half strength in the second week.

I add veg bat guano and marine cuisine to my coco at a tablespoon to a gallon of coco just so i dont have nute definciencies ever...so the first week they have enough nutes and i still use nutes at every watering in the first week just not at full strength.

4. #24 Beanbag, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
    Currently I'm reading through the H3ad goes Coco thread which everyone uses as a bible for running a Coco Modified Lucas Formula and it's intensely informative.

H3ad goes Coco - International Cannagraphic Magazine Forums

I highly recommend that thread and I'm also using this little page for a reference on Lucas information:

What is Lucas Formula, and how do I use it?

I'm probably going to be switching from Canna H3ad's formula. My boy Veodigital is currently running a grow using the h3ad formula and a 1000W cool tube here:

http://forum.grasscity.com/coco-coir/726754-going-coco-1000-watts.html

Spread the head...

5. #25 Beanbag, Feb 22, 2011
    Update, as I'm reading through the thread I'm trying to extra the information from h3Ad and here is the latest from page 13:

6. I'm 21 pages into a 90 page thread but here is what I just read from the man himself:

7. #27 Beanbag, Feb 22, 2011
    More.. sorry to be junking up your thread now but I hope we are all learning together. Right now I'm wishing I didn't have some much Canna A & B left.
    -
    Additionally he mentions over and over to water with no runoff.. or just enough runoff to make sure you are fully saturated.

8. I had an identical issue with my current grow. of 5 (same seeds) 1 had exactly the same issues as your's does, even the picture looks like how it started out.

I left it growing and just gave it exactly what the others were getting. Guess what - its a mongulated plant lol its all fucked up and i can only put it down to being a bad bean. Im still going to push it through flower just for kicks and giggles. I'll be watching to see if you find a solution :p

9. This is the best coco seedlings thread ever. I wish I had read it before I started growing in coco just two weeks ago. my seedlings are so pale and small compared to their brothers in soil. but now i'm fixing it, and i haven't burnt them yet. so far i've gone as far as 550 uS EC (250ppm?) with only HESI coco.

do you think I can pull it through veg at least with just this specific fert? I also have organic ferts which are said to be good for coco. i know the org. veg fert isn't good for coco. does anyone have any experience with organic root juice in coco? they say it's alright, but i'm a bit scared to try it. maybe now with my under-fed problems are going to be solved, hopefully, i can experiment some more with the root juice and report.

10. thanks!

question:
    do you think that when treating coco as hydroponics (watering very often) - it is still viable to use with higher root temps (grow box temps, 75-85)?

11. Those temps aren't any higher than the ones in my tent. I press 90 constantly and have no issues at all but my humidity is low. Spider mites are a worry but I'm a neem oil junky so they stay off my shit.

If you are new to coco and want to skip a lot of what several of us have I'd go right to using h3ad's formula of 6ml of General Hydroponics Flora Micro per gallon and 9ml per gallon of General Hydroponics Flora Bloom per gallon.

It's cheap, has an indefinitely self life and I've seen excellent results. I gave you the high level summary of h3ad's formula so I'd encourage you to read the thread or a more detailed summary which you can probably find.

Important things such as dropping the Micro 3 weeks into flowering or the 2 week pure water flush at the end are describe in more detail but his method is cheap, easy and you only have 2 bottles to deal with but best of all... it seems to work like a fucking charm.

12. thanks! great advice. they even sell those here where I live. I hope I can scrape up cash to get it!!

13. #34 hashomon, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2013
    In regards to the statement about 250HPS being too hot for seedlings. have a 250wt hps I am on my third indoor grow, I start at about 24", then every couple of days I lower my chain about 1 notch(2") until I get about 12to16". The seedlings have never burnt and when I get to the very close distance, the seeds start really cranking.
    The inverse square law comes into play. When you lets say have a 36" distance from your bulb to the plant, and lets say you 1/2 the distance to 18". You now have 4 times the light intensity then you did at twice the distance. This law applies to all sprectrums of rays, light, gamma, x-rays, on and on. So, 1/2 your distance and then you have 4 times the intesity or double your distance and your intensity is now 4 tomes as weak. Make sense?
    I do however have a bit of trouble with heat issues in the summer which may be a good reason for these CFL's but so far with a 250 and 600wt for flower, I am locked into HPS for the finished product it provides.
    My 15 sq ft tent has one exhaust fn (350qf pr min)), 1 intake fan then blows directly through glass enclosed hood, and 3rd and last intake fan for air. With HPS, air is the big consideration. My seedlings take a breeze from a cylindrical fan from day 1. The plants really seem to enjoy the wind as it ossolates (sorry spelling) around the little grow room.
    The exhaust fan is sucking in new air, the fan lowing on the plants and now with the light, the plants have an enviroment that they are happy in.
    Have made the 3000 mistakes in my first 2 indoor grows, now with number 3 coming up, I can't wait and hopefully not to repeat any of them.
    In closing, a terrible THRIPS infestation was conquered with Spinosad. I love this stuff!

14. Cal Mag needed for coco... the whole way through... and you need iron. Get Botanicare Calmag