Problem with house flies on my plants

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Snipp, Jul 25, 2010.

1. I'm about 3 weeks into a soil grow that I've started in my basement. A few days ago, I began getting house flies in my grow area. The flies sit on the plants and fly around when I shake them. I've been killing them by the dozens, but they keep coming back. Is it possible they came in the soil? Will they harm my plants? We've never had fly problems before. The flies are really pissing me off, especially when they're around the house. I keep a sanitary house and kitchen, so I don't know where they'd be coming from.

2. Have you tried cleaning out your room with some disinfectant? If they still keep coming try transplanting into new soil...just my noob opinion :eek:;)

3. They like the nice warm light to get a tan...LOL. Don't think they will bother the plants but, are a nucience. If their fungi gnats that's a different story.

4. put a bug zapper in the room. i once bought some soil that was stored outside on a pallet and i didnt know that i should always buy soil stored indoors. i planted about 10 seeds and they all got 2-3 inches tall and then stopped growing and bugs were flying around them. the only thing we could come up with was the soil being outside

5. I started to have a soil gnat problems, they look like really small black flys that squish real easily. You can use some food grade Diamataceous Earth and sprinkle it on the soil but you have to replace it after each watering, it slices the flys up as they crawl through it or there is other stuff you can try like some GoGnats or Gnatrol if you can find it also some here said they had good results using Hot Shots pest strips, sand but sand can cut off air from penetrating down into the soil. The first thing I did was I let my plants go without water for as long as I could and hung a fly strip in the room, it didnt totaly get rid of them but it sure cut their numbers down to seeing just a few every now and then. I was told that you usualy get those when the soil is staying to moist and not drying out between waterings. Lowes and Home Depot carry Diamataceous Earth but its not the food grade and you want to keep it way from pets, feed stores may carry it but you can also get it online from places like Amazon, it also works on many other type of small insects and can be used outside on or around other plants as well.

6. When you say houseflies, do you mean full sized flies, or gnats?

I suspect the OP has gnats, not houseflies. A strip or two of flypaper ($5 for 8 strips) is great for keeping the problem to a "dull roar", and in my veg box it's taken the problem from one causing significant damage to the plants to a minor nuisance (and getting better over time) - plants have been doing so much better once the flypaper was added. The good thing about gnats is that they rarely kill plants, unlike some other pests - but they can really slow down your plants.

7. i get that same problem with those little black gnats looking things since i always grow 100% pure organic, i still havent found a resolution to the problem, any one think it'd help by jus sitting one of those bug candle down there with them without lighting it would work?? maybe the scent would be enough to keep them away?

besides that i usually shoot down as many as i can when i mist them from time to time then smash them.

8. Houseflies will not hurt your weed in any way.

U most likely have something around that smells
    pretty good to them, and its not the weed.

Smell your soil, thats prolly it.

Just get some pest strips. Houseflies are only a
    pain in the ass.

Freak
    :smoking:

• Like Like x 1
  9. You have to get rid of all open water or food sources for the flies. That leaves your grow box as the only habitable place.

Then you kill all the larvae with neem oil and insecticidal soap soil drench. This is a little hard on your plants, so be ready for it. Give them so super thrive a few days before hand and make sure they are very healthy. Also do it after you have already given a light watering of pure balanced RO water. This will minimize plant absorption.

Do this twice over 2-3 weeks, and spray some sort of organic pesticide on the leaves to kill the adults as they try to feed.

Dichotomous earth or sand over the top are also good additions to the above. If you do use a cover layer, be sure to run hoses into the soil for watering. That way you don't have to disturb the top layer.

Place fly paper next to bright lights throughout your house.

Get fly paper stakes for the pots.

some people claim the blue traps work better for gnats.

If you want them gone, be sure to do everything listed above.

You can use pyrethrin on the leaves.

bacillus thuringiensis can be used for the soil drench as an alternative. It's like bio warfare. It's found in mosquito dunks. You'll have to find the proportions to use. I think it's 1/4 dunk per some quantity of water. I don't remember.

Neem oil can also be used on the leaves, but this can clog your stoma and isn't as affective as pyrethrin.

10. Man - theyre just houseflies, no need to pull out the nukes !!!

Good info tho, Ive covered it all.

Freak
    :smoking:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thanks for the suggestions. I've been swatting them regularly, and they do seem to be dwindling slightly. I did, however, accidentally whip one of my plants with the fly swatter and it took a few leaves off. The organic pesticide does seem like a good idea. I don't think there is any standing water in the basement, but they are obviously breeding somehow.

• Like Like x 1
  12. The first thing I tried is what a older guy at the bydro shop I goto said to try first and it didnt cost anything and that was to let your plants go as long as they can without water letting the soil dry out as much as the plant can handle and hang a fly strip. Now I see maybe one or two gnats a week and thats it.

13. I think the op ac
    tually meant flies cuz my box has a ton of flies in it rn and I've been growing for 5 years never had this problem but they don't seem to be hurting any of the plants and actually seems like there are less other bugs since the flies moved in I wouldn't worry about them if they are just "house flies" like the op suggested flies can help more than hurt

• Like Like x 1
  14. These little house fly fuckers are torturing me as I write this , then they fly into my cooled light and burn baby burn. Hahahaha sucker. Burn.