Problem with first grow

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by nomoreqwertys, Aug 17, 2006.

1. okay my main problem is the plant stopped growing after about a week or so.
    i am using oasis seeds. organic soil. 105watt full spectrum fluorescent light on 18/6 light cycle. i use the cap of a spring water bottle to measure water and i give it about 3 cap fulls in the morning sometimes skipping a day. i just gave it a little bit of 20-20-20 plant food solution. it was growing good for a week. then stopped. about 2 inches from leaf end to the other end. a little over and inch tall and still working on the second set of leaves. the small first round leaves started to wrinkle up today.
    so i just bought new soil. MG moisture control and some perlite. i was gonna transplant it tonight when the light goes on... my friend is using that soil and his plant is turning out really good. so can anyone give me advise

2. Get different soil. MG Moisture Control is bad for pot plants. It keeps in too much moisture. Even with the perlite I would be suspicious. Stop feeding it. Weed does not need to be fed for the first 3 weeks of its life and yours is too small. What size pot is it in? Usually they stop growing when they are root bound.

3. the plant is in a small white cup right now.. and the mixture i used when i changed the soil was 1 part MG moisture control, 1 part MG organic, 1 part perlite.
    and also i lowered the light to be within a few inches and the leaves totally curled upwards towards it
    should i use just organic and perlite when i transplant again? if it actually grows.

thanks

4. Yes, organic unferted with perlite is best to use, for fert ideas, check out searching for "guano" on ebay for starters. It is organic as well and what I use. If you can find it, adding "wormcastings" to your soil mix is good too.

If you can't find any of this stuff. I have used sunshine mix #4 which is good and Promix which is okay...the pH is alittle low with promix tho. I have seen MG is making all organic, no fert soil mixes now too so if MG is all you can find, maybe try that.

5. this is what im doing. i was reading the problems thing on here and i think the plant might not be getting enough magnesium so i bought some epsom salt to mix with water and give to it.. hope it works..

6. It stopped growing because it is root-bound in that cup. Transplant now into an 8" pot or so and use only the MG Organic with at least 1/3 perlite ratio.

7. The plant is tiny and very young I can't see how it could be root bound so quickly. Just my uneducated opinion.

8. I was you I'd start some new beans as your plants sound like they may be dying, it happens week seeds, Oh, by the way what is your distance from light, it should be about 6", if your using the light I think your using.

9. well i did start germinating another seed. i was so disappointed when this shit started happening. i did have the light about 6 inches or so from the plant. then my stupid friend told me to move it closer when it started happening. haha davey. and then the problem worsened.. poor baby. guess i gotta get high

10. You bastard.

11. CFL's should be about 3 inches away from the plants.

12. Update:
    both old plants died. the one stopped growing right after it opened up. and it had basically no root growth since i planted it.
    i germinated another seed and it worked fairly quickly with a nice long tail so i planted it, it came completely out of the seed and popped its head out of the dirt. it doesnt seem to be growing fast now though.. it looks like it has a real thin clear film around it.. this is what happened to the last one. it just popped its head out and stopped growing..
    is this normal?

13. The thin clear plastic is remenents (sp?) of the seed itself. If it doesn't come out on it's own by the end of today I'd suggest trying, very delicately, to remove the shell. I like to use nose hair trimmers for the job since they are tiny, sharp, and are a nice extension of my hand.

14. yeah man thats what i was planning on doing tonite. i noticed that the very tip looks burnt today. i hope that is not a problem..

15. yes smknvtec is right, moisture control is horrible for cannabis and should not be use, the medium holds way to much moisture for cannabis, let alone small plants

get them out of those cups and get them into a soil mixture that doesnt have moisture control

just add lots of perlite to your soil mixture for extra drainage

do NOT give your plant 3 cap fulls of nutrients

use 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water weekly

you may be burning your plants too

do you have a picture of your plants?

16. THEY'RE ALL DEAD!!! DEAD!!!!!!
    i hate life

17. Henry Ford said "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently". Now is your chance to do that. Next time, don't use the Moisture Control and don't feed them at all before week three. Good luck next time.