problem with diy bong

Discussion in 'DIY and Homemade' started by thoruen, Aug 12, 2010.

1. I know of the warnings of using PVC as a bong, but I believe I address those issues with the over all design.
    [​IMG]
    You can see that I am using an aluminum downstem that sticks out from the pvc about 3 inches. That should stop the pvc near the bowl from heating up and releasing any toxins.
    [​IMG]Inside the Y connector I attach 3/4 inch plastic tubing to the downstem that I've drilled 1/4 inch holes along the bottom 2/3 part of the tubing. see below.
    [​IMG]
    The problem I'm having is that when I fill the bong to the bottom of the Y connector. I end up pulling more water to the top then air and smoke.

The reason I built the bong with such a long stem is that I wanted the water and Ice to cool the smoke as much as possible.

Do I need a larger in diameter hose to get better air flow? any other ideas?

Thanks thoruen

2. re do it and put the downstem on the lowest piece. either that or run more tubing so it hits the bottom of the bong and dont fill it up to the y, thats just absurd. you only need enough water to filter. you can still fill that bitch up with ice though.

3. also how are you clearing the bong, is there a carb on it or do you have some sort of slide system that im just not seeing

4. A regular bowl with a slide fits in the downstem. And the slide and bowl are so high up the side of the bong so that the smoke has to go through more ice and water to cool it as much as possible.

5. you really put that much water in it? thats a good way to get wet weed, and a good way to inhale water into your lungs.
    put the downstem 3-4 inches from the bottom and then you'll be good to go.

6. my answer remains the same. if your woried about fumes then make it out of something else. but you can fill it to the brim with ice and just add a little water, its still traveling through ice. it wont hurt ya

7. filled just her big bottom with water and ice, put the Y connector on and filled the rest of the bong to just under the mouth piece. about to take my first toke.

8. you know your design does not have a slider right? as in when you pull out the bowl the air cannot go through the water as were you have a tube going to the bottom of the bong right? so you would have to pull the bowl and tube out just to clear i would use a carb in this case it would be much easier not to mention when you clear that your going to cough a lung up and would not want to be holding a bowl that could be dropped just my .2

9. yeah just use less water thats all you need to do. sick diy

10. that kicked my ass

11. Dude the short piece of metal tubing sticking out a couple of inches from the Y connector does go all the way to the bottom. that's where i put he bowl and light it, so the smoke goes all the way down to the bottom then filters up through the ice and water. thats why its a slider

12. now, im not sure but isnt using pvc for bongs bad?? ive heard this in a few different places.

13. thats not what i ment, ok on a normal bong right when you pull out the bowl it makes basically a carb just a hole to make a vacuum so air can flow right in, your design looks like to me that when you slide your bowl off the air still has to go through water before pushing out the smoke. basically if it bubbles when your inhaling after sliding your bowl off= bad

EDIT: picture caption is really "this is the tube that will make it fail. IF it is not taken out when clearing." i just realized how many type-os i really have.

Attached Files:

14. dude I think you're not getting it.
    [​IMG]
    the down stem on this typical bong stays attached to the bong with one end always submerged under water while the other end is meant to hold a bowl with a slightly smaller stem slide inside of it.

15. I found your problem....
    Youre trying to make yourself a bong.

Great project, but save youre future 70 year old lungs and just get some glass dude.

16. and that bong has a carb not a slider op is doin a slider with no carb thats my point

17. he already said hes using a slider in his aluminum stem.