Problem with bugs; helped by wasps.

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Couch Kushin Fire, Sep 2, 2016.

?

Do you feel that wasps are a viable predator to control pests in the garden or are they a pest too?

1. Works for me!

100.0%
  2. Kill 'Em All

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. This year I started about 35-40 sunflowers, mammoth variety, from seed in May. They take generally 75 to bloom from seed, so I like to start them in smaller pots and beef them up quickly, before transplanting into the ground. I find that doing so generates larger and more productive plants. Anyhow, I noticed that my sunflowers were like a magnet for pests - all sorts! I have seen mites, caterpillars, beetles, stink bugs, ants (which is how I realized I even had an aphid issue), and everything from the pest kingdom came to molest my sunflowers.

I'm not one to jump straight to chemical treatment, so I did some reading. The ants were farming aphids on the plants, so getting rid of aphids was my first priority. I have a wood shed that wasps have made themselves comfortable in. They leave me alone when I'm in there and I've never had any issue being stung. *note: do not wear strong cologne or scented perfumes because that could irritate a hive. A "neutral smell" is best, so work up a sweat before visiting near a hive. I found that wasps love to prey on bugs like aphids and caterpillars (I've seen a wasp paralyze and carry away a caterpillar from the garden..lol).

SO? Well, I relocated my sunflowers, in the pots, right within 3 feet of the wasp nest. I let them be for a few days and returned to find no pests on the plant. When I did not see the ants, I knew the aphids were likely KIA (killed in action..lol). The wasps seemed to appreciate the free lunch and I haven't been stung all year (by the wasps..hornets & I don't get along as well).

When I planted the sunflowers, some were as far as 400-500ft away from the shed where the wasp nest is located. I noticed the wasps patrol the sunflowers as if it's their natural duty to protect them. Since they were 'acquainted', it seems the wasps have the ability to locate these flowers just about anywhere on the property. The sunflowers were planted in several areas and some span a distance of 1k feet/ 300+meters between them and I have observed the wasps travel to each area. I'm curious to know if any others have observed a similar situation?

• Like Like x 5
  2. #2 Chunk, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    People generally don't realize that wasps, hornets and yellow jackets are one of the mightiest of the predators in the garden.

• Like Like x 4
  3. #3 Couch Kushin Fire, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2016
    Agreed! I think we might also agree that the Mantis ranks amongst the top of the chain. I am learning how to attract and 'house' them on my property.

Here's an interesting site about the 'praying mantis' if anyone is interested:
    Praying Mantid caresheet - Amateur Entomologists' Society (AES)

That reminds me of my favorite sea creature, the Mantis Shrimp! There's a species that punches with the same force as a .22 cal bullet. It actually creates cavitation bubbles that produces light and spark underwater!! Look them up on YouTube, or I've also attached a funny vid below:

• Like Like x 2
  4. How about the thread waisted wasps?

thread-waist.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Lady bugs too

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lady bugs always welcome in my garden. I usually let them be when I find them inside or place them on a plant in the greenhouse. They are very hard workers! Apparently they consume an average of 5,000 aphids in a lifetime..

• Like Like x 1
  7. Omg. I found the most bad ass little baby mantis living in one of my plants , at first it was a spider who looked like he had a tuxedo so I left him alone he was cleaning the plants of any bugs. Then I noticed what looked like a creepy ass half scorpion like brown black and white bug. I looked closer and saw him karate chop something. So I was like oh snap. I see the big ones around , my profile pic was in my yard , but never the babies. So where are the bigger ones if the baby is around. Arnt they

• Like Like x 1
  8. Aren't they cannibals ? Won't a mother eat a baby. I love the way they karate chop. Now there's no spiders left but there is a baby mantis. Dope little bugs. I havnt seen him today though.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hey guys. Is it true that aphids piggy back into your plants on inch worms. I noticed little red dots today then I saw the inch worm on my stem and I grabbed his ass and hucked him. Then I removed the parts of the leafs 5 or so that had the red dots and disposed of them

10. Yes, I believe they are.
    Mantids will eat each other and most things smaller than them. They will attempt to eat larger insects than their own size. They ambush! badass lil bugs for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Praying mantis will even eat lizards! I bought some lady bugs to put on my girls and they did a great job.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Heya @Numbnutts , good to see you around!

@Couch Kushin Fire

Assassin Bugs
    (family Reduviidae) are predatory insects that are of great benefit to gardeners. They are proficient at capturing and feeding on a wide variety of prey including other bugs, bees, flies, and caterpillars. Prey are captured with a quick stab of the assassin bug's long mouth parts.

assassinbug3.jpg 6899058880_015fb4e957_b.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  13. @Chunk they eat Bees?! :lmafoe:
    Assassin bugs are like the Chuck Norris of the insect kingdom.. Bugs probably scattered like Bolt

• Like Like x 2
  14. LOL....yes they're opportunistic. I"m a Master Gardener in my county and spend a lot of my volunteer time in the Plant Disease and Insect Clinic. I also give talks to my community on Good Bugs/Bad Bugs as well as composting and vermicomposting. If I had it to do over, I might have been an entomologist.

Predator insects are fascinating to me.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Quite an accomplishment to have such a vast spectrum of experience and also to volunteer your time sharing knowledge. Wish we could toss some rooting hormone on you and make some clones...:metal::thankyou:

• Like Like x 1

16. Wonder if there's any underground insect fight clubs to bet online?

• Like Like x 2
  17. Hey buddy how are ya. That Asian bug looks just like the baby mantis I found living in my kush plant. See if I can find a pic. He's pretty cool and used to me now. Doesn't karate chop at me any more.
    Screenshot_20160823-164213.png

• Like Like x 3