Problem persists: Strange spots spreading fast (pics)

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Clifford, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Current setup is 2 DWC w/ 1 reservior. 250watt MH, temps at 79F. Running the Lucas Formula at 400ppm, 5.7ph. Pics speak for themselves, The spots start on new growth and continues to spread. The "veins" of the leave are staying green though. Check pics, help!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Might be spider mites, thats my guess, check it out.... dunno tho, check ppm, ph, and also, do you have clorine in your water?

3. Yeah this is some def spider mites infection, all leaves with 50% or more need to be removed now!
    Drop your temperature down to about sixty than blast with some cold water (will knock them off). Any mites remaining, just squash them.
    Isolate all infected plants until your sure its under control though.

4. well the problem is that I can't see them! I've looked on the underside of the leaves and have seen nothing. There have been some little black bugs, but they don't appear to be causing any harm since I only find one every so often. I am flushing today, and I'll put back in 3/4 strength nutes. My water is R/O. HELP!!!

5. I really don't think its mites because I can't see any of them...nothing on the leaves or anything. My guess was a defiency bc of the green in the veins and spots around it, meaning the plant is still trying towards the center, but is getting a lack of ________ on the outside. Help me out with this one you pros!

6. its not mites, though they do look like that, its a problem with either a virus or lack of magnesium. How old are the plants? Id say its also either over watering or underwatering. or buring, you gotta eliminate some of the possible problems. eitehr water less or more and go from there. or add magnesuim addative like mag pro. 5ml per gallon if its hydroponic method.

7. Ya its hydro so it can't be under/overwatering. plants are about 3.5 weeks old. PH stays at 5.6-5.8, never let it drift from that range really. Flushed everything today, cleaned buckets with H2O2 really well. In the buckets the PPM is 420, and in the reservoir is 790, I recirculate it as needed to add in more gradually. So what's the deal? The new growth shows little signs of the same problem, yet it is only like 10% of the new growth...help?

8. It looks like a magnesium def to me, I have the exact same problem and added magnesium sulfate to my reservoir, seeing how it improves at the moment, i'll let you know later today.

9. Sounds good, let me know how much you used/per gallon of water and what kind of an effect it's having.

10. Molybdenum. These leaves (See Web Figure 5.1.C) show some mottled spotting along with some interveinal chlorosis. An early symptom for molybdenum deficiency is a general overall chlorosis, similar to the symptom for nitrogen deficiency but generally without the reddish coloration on the undersides of the leaves. This results from the requirement for molybdenum in the reduction of nitrate, which needs to be reduced prior to its assimilation by the plant . Thus, the initial symptoms of molybdenum deficiency are in fact those of nitrogen deficiency. However, molybdenum has other metabolic functions within the plant, and hence there are deficiency symptoms even when reduced nitrogen is available. In the case of cauliflower, the lamina of the new leaves fail to develop, resulting in a characteristic whiptail appearance. In many plants there is an upward cupping of the leaves and mottled spots developing into large interveinal chlorotic areas under severe deficiency.

At high concentrations, molybdenum has a very distinctive toxicity symptom in that the leaves turn a very brilliant orange.

Just a guess... Did you notice powdery pustules on the leaf's underside? that would indicate fungus.

11. mag pro,. use 5ml per 1 gallon of resvior water. so for a 55 gallon rez id use 250mls to be safe.or thereabouts. remember to change your rez every 5 days to 7 days max, dont get lazy and cheap like some people. keep it fresh and stay on top of it :wave:

12. It's definitely a mag deficiency, I've had the same problem. This usually happens if you're using R/O or distilled water with nutrients that don't contain enough trace minerals like calcium and magnesium. Add any magnesium supplement to aid this.

For future reference, especially if you're using R/O water, you need to add about 100ppms worth of Mag Pro or Cal Mag before you add your regular nutrients so the correct trace minerals will be in the water. Good luck.

edit: also your plants are fairly big so you could up the ppm to at least 600 or so.

13. I added a full teaspoon to each bucket, a total of 2 teaspoons for 10 gallons. Will update the outcome within the next couple days to see how they react. thanks for the help!!!

14. so far i haven't noticed anything getting worse since trying magnesium sulfate, hope it works for you

15. hey Clifford, talk to me man. It looks like i have the same problem. Very simular. i dont have mites! At first I thought it was potassium K deficiency. It could have been this phosphorus shit i was using. I guess when i added the P it wanted more magnessium Mg but didnt have it available.

I have flood and drain hydro system with 30 gallon rez. i am on day 20 into flower. I have grand daddy purple.

Since then, about 6 days ago i added some Cal Mag and flushed the system. I only used CANNA Flores Part A and B and PK13/14. And 8ML per gallon of the Cal Mg. I can only wait to see.

So i think it could be calcium or magnessium. What nutes are you using??????

16. ok so i was in the same boat as craig,
    deff with no clear answer treating, and mistreating my rez was getting out of hand. so one day i just decided that i was going to find a way that worked for me. in the first few growing months i had no problems with nutes, why cant i get back to that i asked myself. then i realized that i could. i basically started over. flushed my rockwool with ph treated RO water, dumped my entire rez and re-mixed my solution.

anyone see a potential (or real) problem with this method.

i have also followed the directions on the back of my nutes (dyna-grow) and mixed 1 tsp with 1 gallon water for a foliar spray that is supposed to fix deff's.

tell us how it goes.

17. I know. It will take a week to see if i fixed the problem. I just added Cal MAg. What are your PPM's at during flower and vege? Mine was about 1140 PPM.

Also, what kind of water is good? I sometimes get the Glacier Water for 25 cents a gallon. My tap water is 650 PPM...crazy

18. all nutes are different, so it will really depend on your nutes

i like RO water for my ebb & flow. many people like distilled water. my local hydro store reccomended RO, so thats what i go with. its like 10 bucks for 50 gallons over here.

what kind of results do you want to SEE? the leaves dont get better. the rest of the plant just doesnt follow suit with the deffcy.

19. i had the same problom on my first HP grow. my chemicals where fucked. but beleve it or not i had a sodium dif, and all i had to do was add sea salt. about 2 tbl spoon per 5 gal. it worked for me, but im not saying do that to yours because it can be very fatel. expecialy if you are growing sativia strains

20. I think it was too much potassium and it needed more magnessium but didnt have it. I feel like it is a Mg defiecny. The leaves look like shit. Brown spotted curling yellow.