Probe And Pulse Start Metal Halide And Hps Compatibility?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by shackleferd, Jun 18, 2013.

1. #1 shackleferd, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2013
    I have read and heard different things about metal halide to hps compatibility. I have been told a metal halide bulb will work in a magnetic hps ballast as long as it is the same wattage but an hps bulb will not work in a metal halide system. I have also read that you should only use metal halide conversion bulbs due to the igniter in the hps system, HOWEVER a pulse start metal halide also has an igniter just like an hps bulb, shouldn't it work both ways since each system has an igniter? and since a pulse start metal halide also has an igniter does that mean i don't have to get a conversion bulb to fit into the hps socket?

2. A basic understanding of the workings of the 2 different light systems could make this easier for you, and thus you may live a little longer
    A metal-halide lamp is an electric light that produces light by an electric arc through a gaseous mixture of vaporized mercury and metal halides (compounds of metals with bromine or iodine).  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal-halide_lamp

High-pressure sodium (HPS) lamps are smaller and contain additional elements such as mercury, and produce a dark pink glow when first struck, and an intense pinkish orange light when warmed. Some bulbs also briefly produce a pure to bluish white light in between if the mercury achieves its high pressure arc discharge characteristic before the sodium is completely warmed. The sodium D-line is the main source of light from the HPS lamp, and it is extremely pressure broadened by the high sodium pressures in the lamp. On account of this broadening and the emissions from mercury, more colors can be distinguished compared to a low-pressure sodium lamp. This leads them to be used in areas where improved color rendering is important, or desired. Thus, its new model name SON is the variant for "sun" (a name used primarily in Europe and the UK). HPS Lamps are favored by indoor gardeners for general growing because of the wide color-temperature spectrum produced and the relatively efficient cost of running the lights
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium-vapor_lamp#High-pressure_sodium

DO NOT MIS AND MATCH THESE ARE 2 DIFFERENT SYSTEMS

3. Actually you can put a mh into an hps socket but not vice versa, however my question is this does it have to be a conversion bulb or can it be pulse start metal halide or even probe start metal halide. :smoking:

4. Actually my 150w ballast is for MH and HPS :p

5. its the ballast that decides, i have an old one that can only do MH but im gonna buy a hps thats digital and can switch it all