Probably a totally ignorant thought/idea...

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by MushuHappiness, Sep 14, 2007.

1. Alright... So theres the whole issue of rescheduling Cannabis from the Schedule One category list... Theres been COUNTLESS studies that show that marijuana is NOT addictive, or not as addicting as other drugs(Hell.. Alcohol and Tobacco are WAY more addicting, and obviously KILL a hell of a lot more.. Wait.. Cannabis Kills? NO IT DOESNT!!).. Anyway.. So theres that.. And I just had a totally random thought...

Why dont we just do a demonstration in front of the white house, non violent of course, just like the 60s and 70s... Everyone gets together, bring your weed... Light up, and say hey... Its not addicting, its not a so called "drug", and this little miracle plant has the potential to help curve our energy "crisis." You can use it to make petroleum products, paper, rope, clothes.. You all know the deal.. It's a fucking miracle plant...

So it'll never happen... But wouldn't it be nice to be able to do what the Constitution says we're allowed to do... Right to a peaceful assembly... And go in front of the White House... or congress... 500,000 to a million plus strong... Everyone Light up a joint.. and say.. We are here, we are not addicted, and you have totally misconstrued the way marijuana is viewed. Thank You Congress... Now please.. Change your Laws.

Ahh... That dream was nicely lived.. Night ya'll.

2. It isn't ignorant to dream bro; some of the most common conveniences of our modern age began as someone's "wild idea." With that said, I have to disagree as to what a demonstration of that size would accomplish. It would definitely get a great deal of attention, but not all attention is good, especially when its garnered by users of the sacred plant. Why? Because the smokers that aren't responsible get much of the attention--usually negative--which ends up eclipsing the tremendous amount of good that's being done.

When it comes to weed--I'm making a huge generalization here--I think people pretty much know that it's harmless, but unfortunately the images that are splashed all over the media make the cause of the everyday marijuana users all the more difficult. It's kinda funny really, some people just don't get that how they behave and ultimately how they're percieved matters.

If people want to get together and march fine, but it should be coordinated with a broader effort to make society a better place. It's a much easier pill to swallow for the general public at large if they think we're also trying to make the world a better place, than it would be if we wanted weed to be legal just for the sake of getting blown. Let's step beyond the recreational abuses and link the plant to a utopian vision.

In some ways I think it's a tradeoff, because how many good things come without a price? It ain't fair, but man, more often than not it seems like it's true. If people really want to move the issue of legalization forward they should be more thoughtful consumers. Instead of just using marijuana indiscriminately, some presence of mind about dosages and places of consumption should be considered.

“Some believe there is nothing one man or one woman can do against the enormous array of the world's ills -- against misery, against ignorance, or injustice and violence. Yet many of the world's great movements, of thought and action, have flowed from the work of a single man. A young monk began the Protestant reformation, a young general extended an empire from Macedonia to the borders of the earth, and a young woman reclaimed the territory of France. It was a young Italian explorer who discovered the New World, and 32 year old Thomas Jefferson who proclaimed that all men are created equal. ‘Give me a place to stand,' said Archimedes, ‘and I will move the world.' These men moved the world, and so can we all.”

~Robert F. Kennedy~

Stay green.

3. True that. Thats why I posted that the plant can help our society.. I've been trying to read as much as possible, and while I dont like making long posts, I probably should have added more stuff like that haha. But yes.. Sadly most of us just want it legalized so that we can get high and enjoy our days w/o having to worry about a cop walking by, or people viewing you differently just because you smoke weed. I've had a couple girls turned away because I told them straight up that I smoke weed and they view it as an addictive drug that causes harm to society. Sorry hunny, it isnt Meth or heroin or Exstacy.

And I love how everyone wants the GOVERNMENT to sell weed... Are you dumb? Leave it to the breeders and tax them just like any other business corporation and same for growers, treat them as they'd treat a consumer based company. Let them decide prices and run it like a normal business.. The government will get their fair share from taxes and income of those guys.

Is there any organization out there thats big in numbers and is promoting the benefits of this plant to our society? and not just legalize it so I can enjoy a smoke? Theres probably quite a few id imagine...

4. I totally agree with your first paragraph, for some reason rational people think that the government should get in the weed business, REALLY BAD IDEA. Maybe a time will come when the breeders and consumers of the sacred plant can set the prices, but not without this community working in a more unified effort. IMHO "legalization" should not be the goal, rather education should be. "If" the community could band together we could elect or appoint good will ambassadors that could meet with politicians and CEOs on behalf of the plant. Additionally, the services of PR firms would be retained--with the funds of many friendly growers--to begin an ad campaign focused on eroding the negative images in society, fight fire with fire.

A PR firm could craft a pro-marijuana campaign that is less about the plant and more about many of the other social issues facing society. Dunno, one can only bang one's head against a brick wall before realization occurs. The struggle may have to adopt unconventional strategies, and more importantly it will have to work together.

Anyway, I agree with you for the most part yo.

5. Bump for discussions sake. :smoking: :wave:

6. As far as how feasible this idea is, I think it isn't that much of a stretch to pull it off with modern communication technology. If you made a facebook event (I know :p) for it sometime in 2010 (I wouldn't choose 4/20 as to separate this from the normal recreational user crowd.. and 4/20 will be on a Tuesday that year - a sunday afternoon would be better) and start promotion via internet, locally, something could happen. You can connect to people on this website and many others.

7. thats a good idea. with the internet nowdays its easy to spread the word on a huge event. I think someone should organize something like this. I have thought of this idea before. Also having ppl speak about marijuana would be a great idea too and could be eye opening to people if you get them popular online. obviously this isnt so simple, but I think it can be done

8. naw man sorry to say but i am pretty sure the white house already knows all of the benefits of bud and that it isnt really harmful...
    imo they just keep it illegal for money and because they would look like DUMBASSES and would lose respect if they legalized a plant, saying it isnt reeally bad at all, a plant thats been illegal for like over 30 years