Probable cause?

Discussion in 'General' started by ThatGoodSmoke, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Is having red eyes and a "slow" voice enough for probable cause?

I was stopped while walking by a cop and he basically just said i looked like i was high and told me to empty my pockets...sure enough i was carrying and was arrested

he never asked for my consent and i was wondering if looking high was enough for a search?

2. It doesn't really matter honestly because cops will fuck you over no matter what.

They're above the law and that's why I fucking hate cops.

3. You didn't have to consent to that. Just keep walking.

4. "I don't consent to any searches officer, good day"

And if he insists...

"Officer, I hope you understand you can lose your job for searching me without my consent, which I clearly did not give you."

I've done this twice and it has worked both times. The first time I only had to say I don't consent. The second time I went through with the second part and he just laid off and left me alone. That time I think I didn't even have weed/paraphernalia, I just didn't feel like having a cop going through my belongings. Pricks.

5. This is true.

If you speak with authority and confidence and you do tell them you will take them to court and get them in trouble, they'll leave you alone cause it's not worth their effort.

You gotta not be scared and speak with authority though...you can't act timid around cops if you want them to leave you alone.

6. Lol this sounds super hard to do when high, but just have confidence.

Also, if they don't identify themselves I am pretty certain they have like no authority, and most cops don't like identifying themselves. I once had a run-in with a cop for being past curfew (I was 17 and I think the curfew for under 18 was like 11:00 or something stupid.. it was like 3:00 AM lol) and he refused to tell me who he was and I said something like

"Well I don't feel confident giving you any information until you identify yourself"

and eventually I think he just got lazy and left. Just say things like "I know my rights" and "You don't have that authority" and they normally know it is true so they just leave it alone. Most of the time people get arrested for possession, it isn't because they had the paraphernalia, it is normally because they don't know how to handle the cops. Just be careful in the future and always remain confident and casual.

I have had way too many run-ins with the cops :(

7. Look up Terry Stop and Frisk.

The cop could have done that, claimed he felt a weapon, and that's that. A cop can do that to anyone, at any time, "for his safety."

Also look up internal possession.

People have this idea that being high isn't illegal. It is illegal. Use eye drops and don't flaunt the fact that you're high.

8. What everyone else is saying, it's too late now. But for future reference, don't under any circumstances consent to a search. 9 times out of 10 they're just trying to punk you.