Pro-Life vs. Pro-Choice?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by SheenTheSage, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Do you oppose the use of contraceptives or the practice of early-term abortions? If so, why?

2. There's only one thing I'm pro at, and that's creating.

No but forreal this thread has been played out, I'm sure there's a thousand page discussion about this already floating around

3. OK, were any definite conclusions reached?

4. Pro choice. Helps control population and kids being born into bad lives. I disagree with pro-lifers so much I get violent in person and could type for days arguing with them on here. Not every sperm cell and embryo needs to live especially if they aren't wanted in the first place.

5. Pro life and pro choice. I'm not going to force a government on you to prevent you from killing said fetus/child but i will shun and look down on you. WHich is how society should treat it, leave politics out of it.

6. Interesting. I'm the exact opposite. I believe that since life begins at conception, the rights of that life must be retained and thus this would be one of the few times that I agree with governmental intervention. However, I know that there are many good people who were pressured by friends/family/society in general into getting abortions and so I would never shun someone who has done it.

7. pro-choice - if there are birth defects , it should be aborted, if the couple are unfit to raise a child , they should be aborted. It would most likely lead to a poorly raised child and the chances of the individuals to have economic stability would be much lower.

8. This always comes down to the NAP. I'm pro-choice to the extent that I believe a woman has the right to terminate her pregnancy before the fetus develops. A person within a person is conception. If she's showing, there's a person inside her, and it would be murder to abort it. People like to argue about the sanctity of life, but no matter how precious you think it is, life is objectively one thing: fragile.

Miscarriages happen naturally all the time and there's always something I want to ask people who think life is so sacred. How do they feel about circumcision ? Is it fine to mutilate a child once it's born but wrong to show a zygote aggression? If so why do it's rights stop once it's undeniably a person?

9. I read about some bitch in England who had like 12 abortions. What a massive fucking whore.

10. Wow... I can't imagine how fucked up her womb must be lol...

11. #11 Penelope420, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2013
    I'm 36 and have no plans on having more children. If I got pregnant, I would be at the abortion clinic faster then you could call me a dirty whore.

When my other option is laying on a hospital table, spread eagle, shitting and bleeding all over the place, while 4-6 people watch as I push another human out of my vagina...

Your opinion is pretty inconsequential.

12. #12 SheenTheSage, Mar 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2013
    Though I cannot prescribe an exact age at which fetuses become conscious and cease to be inanimate, due to variations between individuals, the obscurity of the subject, and the brevity of human life, I feel confident in saying it occurs between the 3rd and 18th week of gestation. Beyond the 24th week of gestation, I have witnessed overwhelming evidence of memories and self-consciousness in fetuses. Beyond such an age; if you tickle them, they kick and sqirum, and if you make loud noises, they bury their heads deeper in the womb. However, nothing is wrong with vacuum aspirations performed before the third week of gestation, because such early-term fetuses are inanimate, and are therefore not people or even sentient animals.

Many doctors defend abortions, because tests for down syndrome and such, are only accurate after the 5th month of gestation. However, I believe the tests will, in time, be more accurate, even at young ages. Today, we can do nothing better than to bring them into this world and to try to bring whatever pleasure to them is possible. It is sad that we cannot prevent their births, as their lives are of a universally agreeably reduced quality, but we really shouldn't be killing conscious people as an excuse.

Oh, and contraceptives (including pills) are totally humane. It's like the equivalent of using a tampon or masturbating into a toilet (or, guys who abstain, it's like washing semen out of your bed sheets). You are depriving potential life of its potential to exist, nothing that doesn't already happen on cosmic proportions, every second of every day.

13. Good quote. Not sure he had a stutter though. ;) :p

14. I am both pro-contraception, and pro-choice. In my opinion, an abortion should ideally happen within the first trimester (1-3 months). For me, I would know I was pregnant within 4 weeks of conception, possibly as soon as two. I know my body, I know it's cycle, and I have been pregnant twice before. The first ended in miscarriage, the second with my son. If I were to get pregnant now (which would be completely irresponsible, and I do take measures to prevent pregnancy) I would have an abortion. I am a single mom of a 4 year old and I bust my ass to take care of him. I am not going to risk adding to my burden. But I take responsibility for my actions and my decisions.
    I'm in no position to judge anyone, but I do feel a little bit of resentment for women who use abortion as their primary form of birth control. I get the urge to smack them around and tell them to wake the fuck up. But I can't imagine someone who is incompetent enough to "accidentally" get pregnant multiple times is in the right frame of mind to raise a child.

15. Its not worth the government we have or any government for that matter. They fail everyone in the end.

16. Do whatever you want. I wouldnt call you a dirty whore, i just look down on you. Its not a big deal. We can still have some hanky spanky

17. Im definately pro choice. If people arent ready to be parents or financially stable they should have an abortion. No point starting a child off without a chance. Would just end up costing the state money.

18. oh noes! :eek:

19. Unintended pregnancies are oftentimes results of irresponsible decisions. But, choosing not to get an abortion when you're unable to properly care for a child would be an even more irresponsible decision. Medical technology has improved greatly, no need for coat hangers in back alleys. All women have to deal with now is social stigma and the occasional bombing of a clinic or murder of an abortion doctor, as if their decision to get an abortion wasn't stressful enough.

Children need proper love and care in order to grow properly into adults. If a woman gets pregnant and can't take care of the child, or has no desire to, take responsibility and terminate the pregnancy. Who wants to be the child of parents who don't want them? Or who wants to be part of the absolutely wonderful orphanages?

20. Its not a question of pro choice.

Its a question of if murder is wrong and at wait point you consider it murder.