Prius or smart car

Discussion in 'General' started by CannabisCrusade, May 10, 2011.

1. Far less emissions than a diesel car. What an awful argument.

I'm not talking about the Prius, but the Prius did pave the way for this technology. So was it worth it? Yes.

2. I'm not arguing that a diesel is superior for just emissions. It's not in some circumstances. I'm looking at total impact, which is hard to do and too often overlooked in efforts to minimize impact. Sort of like the whole CFL thing replacing in candescent bulbs. Yes, they use less electricity. But they're not necessarily the best solution. There are even some cases where total replacement of incandescents would increase greenhouse gas emissions (In Quebec, electric power is mostly hydro and an incandescent lightbulb on hydro power is an emissions free way to heat your house).

Sorry dude, I'm not the type that picks a side and sticks with it. I'm fluid and really it's about finding the best solution.

3. I'd go with a Volkswagon Golf diesel. They get 30 something city mpg and about 42 on the highway. They look nice, get good mileage, and you won't feel silly because you're driving a Prius or a Smart Car.

4. If you buy electric/hybrid keep in mind that your miles per charge decreases dramatically once you use your radio, ac, or any other accessory. Also, parts for these vehicles are hard to get and expensive because its still a new CONcept. Buy a honda accord or a toyota corolla.

5. That's just the EPA rating. I've gotten mid 50s easily.

6. #26 The Crafter, May 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2011
    Oh my god no don't get either man.

Do you know where the batteries come from in a prius? To make the batteries it takes an astronomical amount of energy and emits a fuckton of pollution. And where do you think the energy comes from that is going to charge the batteries? Coal plants, a lot of pollution and energy waste there too. And prius' aren't even that economic, my parents have a 2002 diesel VW golf and it gets 40 mpg around town. Once on the highway we got 65 mpg and that's an old model, nowadays they're even more fuel-efficient and emit much less pollution.

Please whatever you do, do not get a prius.

How's this for a statistic, if half of americans drove diesel we wouldn't need any foreign oil. But the big car manufactures are in cahoots with the oil companies and refuse to sell efficient cars (in america). Fuck this greedy world we live in, fuck it hard.

7. chevy volts are pretty sick cuz they dont look like h-mo cars

8. Driven at the same speeds and RPM, the BMW M3 gets better gas mileage than a Prius.

Or get a motorcycle, win/win situation with that.

9. get a murdered out prius you won't even look gay [​IMG]:cool:

( plus if you get hit in one of those smartcars, you are fucking dead.)

10. Motorcycle idea is great as well.

I have an older bike, 91 Honda Hawk, fast enough and gets 40 mpg every time no matter how hard I thrash it.

11. Oh, wow, that's excellent! Better than I thought.

12. Yep. Cant argue with physics. Smaller displacement, smaller mass, smaller drag.

13. To be honest, it really depends on the traffic. Yeah, if you're on the highway a lot, goin 70, the little 100 horse or whatever Atkinson cycle engine in the prius isn't gonna be that efficient. However, if you're in stop and go a lot, a hybrid drive makes sense. Even the GM and other mild hybrids, that rely entirely on the ICE for traction, still benefit from the engine shutdown when stopped.

For those who were unaware, a mild hybrid uses a standard ICE but shuts it off when the vehicle is stopped. When the throttle pedal is pressed, an oversized starter motor gets the car and the engine going at the same time. Like push starting with the starter motor, but much smoother so that it doesn't hinder the acceleration.

Obviously, this is beneficial to reduce emissions but it can't take advantage of the regenerative braking that drives the Prius, or a grid battery charge.

But again, that's just comparing one small piece of the environmental impact pie.

14. while simultaneously telling everyone how small your penis is.

15. Yea VW TDI all the way

16. OP I didn't read a single post here. (sorry everyone I'm gonna lol)

BUT

I drove the smart car once and if you haven't yet you need to. I don't want to offend anyone in here if they have one ha but this was honestly the worst care I ever drove. The electro-hydrolic transmission or what ever it is I can't stand. Every shift feels like a 15 year old is learning how to drive.

Prius/ANYTHING over smart car.

17. #37 flapflip, May 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Fucking. Win.