Print tickets at home

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Area 11, Nov 10, 2010.

1. ok, so my mom needs to print these NASCAR tickets. the printer kept saying there was a jam when there wasn't. I uninstalled the printer but i cant click finish because it will restar the computer and the tickets will be lost because i cant save the page because its a firefox print page. will i be able to reinstall the printer without shutting down the computer or is there any way I could save this page so i can do it after it restarts?

I wont be shutting down the computer untill i can either print this shit or save the page. if theres no way around this BS, could i contact the ticket site and tell them about the situation would they be able to let me try again without the "authentication code". theres a code she had t type in and click ok but i cant get the code and she didnt write it down.

Please help me, i wont let $120 go down the drain because of a shitty HP printers mistake.

windows vista, firefox

2. #2 FalconFour, Nov 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2010
    They emailed you a copy of the page to print the tickets, dude.

Just restart the computer. They can't legally get away with allowing any purchasable, printable item to just "go away" by restarting your computer. Shit like this happens all the time. Let the page go... restart the computer... go back to your email and click the link to print them. Failing that, go to the website, log in, and print them from there. Failing that... call them up, tell them what you said here, and they'll send you a new print link (or otherwise let you print them).

Either way, there is absolutely 0% chance that you'd lose $120 of tickets by a paper jam... lol.

edit: also, have you ever heard of the "print queue"... dude, a paper jam is absolutely NO REASON to start digging into software and drivers and stuff. Don't uninstall the printer because the paper jammed... dude... I can only hold my head in pain as I try to comprehend the reasoning behind uninstalling your printer driver because you had a paper jam... o_O Don't do that again. Just look at the printer. The printer itself is the one with the problem, not the computer... lol. If it's a laser printer, even if you clear the jam, you still have to open and close the toner cartridge door to reset it. DON'T send a print job to the printer unless the green "Ready" light is on... that is, if any "Error" light is on... DON'T SEND A JOB TO IT! A printer works on a "queue" basis... it'll print when it's damn well ready, and if you send a job to it when it's not ready, it'll "queue" the job, and print it when it's ready, and everything else you printed while it wasn't ready as well.

3. If you are still concerned you could just grab a screen capture and save it to an image file to print after restarting. You also may be able to print to an XPS or PDF file (depending on the software you have) and open said files after restarting.

4. You could save the file and take it to staples or fed-ex/kinkos if your printers shot.

But like he said they should of sent you a confirmation email..no worries.

5. It told me there was a jam when there wasn't and i couldn't get rid of the message so i wanted to just uninstall and reinstall it but i figured everything out and the tickets are printed. i didnt know they sent that copy and my mom didnt tell me about it so its w/e.

problem fixed, lesson learned. the lesson is to not buy HP printers.

6. You can solve that problem next time by hitting the "Any" key.

7. This is what I do for most "printable" things. Most people already have Microsoft XPS Writer installed, though, and it works pretty well as well... provided you have a functioning reader, as the default XPS viewer is dependent on IE, and often gets corrupted by switching browsers. CutePDF is definitely my mode of choice, though, but XPS is the "always there, always usable" fallback... you can always save an XPS but you might have to go to someone else's computer to read it ;)