Price Fixing in Ancient Rome

Discussion in 'Politics' started by aaronman, Jun 22, 2009.

1. #1 aaronman, Jun 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2009
    This is an enlightening chapter from "Forty Centuries of Wage and Price Controls" which shows how our modern authoritarian approach to controlling the economy is nothing new, especially among empires. I would read it from the main source.

Forty Centuries of Wage and Price Controls: Chapter 2: The Roman Republic & Empire

2. To quote Spinoza: "If you want the present to be different from the past, study the past."

Good find.

3. I wanted to cross-examine some excerpts with modern US policy.

Economic dislocations caused by subsidies are the very thing that got us into our current mess. The privileges granted to the housing/finance sector directly lead to the housing boom, and when the house of cards could no longer support anymore it was exposed.
    More closely related are our direct subsidies to the agricultural sector, which grants Americans the luxury of affordable food. Corn is in everything, and when we use taxpayer dollars to finance the corn industry everything is cheaper. If we were ever to lose this subsidy the sudden rise in price would be painful.

This should resonate as very familiar to all of us. In the last 10 years alone gold has soared.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The markets blame the institutions and expansion of the state, while the state blames the market. What else is new? Obama blames greedy and dishonest lenders, evil speculators and unregulated banks. The market would point towards the excessive growth in government spending since the 1970s, along with the planning policy of the Federal Reserve.
    It seems the state won the debate back then as well... until their collapse.

This has Obama all over it.

The last thing the government will do is cut spending, and they will bankrupt us all to preserve their state.. Still true today.

4. Thanks for that; a very fascinating read.

My favorite line was ...

"The result, of course, came as a surprise to the government. Most of the farmers remaining in the countryside simply left to live in Rome without working."

Not only that but I never even knew there was an Emperor Commodus.

He must have been completly full of shit. :p

A wise fellow once said that history teaches that us we learn nothing from history. That's for the sheeple.

The people that run our economy now must know full well what they are doing and that is what history teaches the rest of us. :smoking:

• Like Like x 1